MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

1 minute ago, Musicinferno said:

Very good 4 star review from Q.

They very rarely give 5 stars.

They very rarely give 4 stars to Madonna too. 😊

5 hours ago, Nick said:

I always liked Confessions because it had a dark feel to it, but with a nod to the disco era. The contrast is pretty interesting.

The tour had the same type of contrast.

Anyway, back to Madame X!

I feel like a lot of disco was dark and yearny as well actually. If I can’t have you...I don’t want nobody baby! Tragedy! With no one beside you, you’re going nowhere!

48 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Q mag

4FA5B972-D0D5-496E-BF0C-D8BF3708621F.jpeg

Thank you for this ! I need Dark Ballet and God Control nowwwww !!!

16 hours ago, vertigokane said:

Is anyone willing translate the French review?

Madonna, 61, is always ready for bravado ! Unlike the [French] rap duet NTM or The Stranglers, gentrified and not that punk anymore, or the now sober and mellowed Marylin Manson. 36 years after her infamous VMAs performance of "Like a Virgin", the Material Girl, queen of the box office with more than 300 million records sold, is still a provocation boss. For her 14th album, Madame X, she's alternately blonde, brunette, gay, straight, trans. "La Madone" [that's her most common nickname in France], is "a secret agent, travelling around the world, changing identities, fighting for freedom, bringing light to dark places". If the looks reflect her early carrer - fishnets, horsewhip, religious iconography, Marlene Dietrich tribute - the sound of the new 15 tracks reminds us more of the best moments from the Ray of Light to American Life era. Obviously, the sexagenerian chose to work with the rising international newbies (Colombian rapper Maluma, French producer Mirwais, Brazilian singer Anitta, American rapper Quavo...). A latin and reggaeton sounding new album, born in Portugal, where Madonna 's been living since Trump's election. You can't silence Queen M. And that's for the best.

Edited by Ray Finkle

Just putting it out there, that review from Q magazine doesn’t mention anything we haven’t already heard...

The songs mentioned are the ones we’ve heard, the music from dark ballet already performed, and the lyrics from killers who are partying already out there...

I question whether the reviewer has actually heard the album because it doesn’t look like it from that Q review... ...

1 minute ago, jjamboo said:

Just putting it out there, that review from Q magazine doesn’t mention anything we haven’t already heard...

The songs mentioned are the ones we’ve heard, the music from dark ballet already performed, and the lyrics from killers who are partying already out there...

I question whether the reviewer has actually heard the album because it doesn’t look like it from that Q review... ...

True, review is meh... but thanks for the 4 stars lol

Yeah the glowing Q review. Great it got 4 stars which is a rare gift from them to madonna but the review itself didn't say a lot. Still, I put more stock in a Q review or Guardian review than Rolling Stone these days

4 minutes ago, stevo208 said:

Yeah the glowing Q review. Great it got 4 stars which is a rare gift from them to madonna but the review itself didn't say a lot. Still, I put more stock in a Q review or Guardian review than Rolling Stone these days

Not so sure about The Guardian, especially when it comes to movie reviews. They were trying really hard to hype "A Star is Born" and they gave 4 stars to "Pet Sematary" which made me go to the cinema and see it. It was terrible! One of the worst horror movies I have seen recently. 

2 minutes ago, side_streets said:

Not so sure about The Guardian, especially when it comes to movie reviews. They were trying really hard to hype "A Star is Born" and they gave 4 stars to "Pet Sematary" which made me go to the cinema and see it. It was terrible! One of the worst horror movies I have seen recently. 

Well ASIB did get hyped by most critics, but in terms of Madonna releases I'm hoping for a thoughtful piece from them 

On 5/31/2019 at 12:41 AM, Kurt420 said:

Exactly!! Which is what makes her so fucking brilliant!!! Within a 5 yr span she did acoustic personal campfire jingles, "disco stompers" 😬 and easily digestible R&B flaired pop music. Who the fuck else does that?? That's why I say now EVERYTHING she does is brilliant to some extent!!

+ And in 1996 she gave us Evita

Ray of LightLike a PrayerMusic, and The Immaculate Collection were all selected for Rolling Stone's 500 greatest albums of all-time. 

11 minutes ago, stevo208 said:

Well ASIB did get hyped by most critics, but in terms of Madonna releases I'm hoping for a thoughtful piece from them 

Me too! That would be really nice. "Q" review is a good sign! 

6 minutes ago, insilico said:

Great rating from Q, they gave 3 stars to American Life at the time...

Their other rating from memory:

Ray of Light 4 stars

Music 4 stars

American Life 3 stars 

Confessions 4 stars

Hard candy 3 stars 

MDNA 4 stars

Rebel Heart 3.5 stars 

Actually quite consistently good.

7 minutes ago, Kim said:

Good rating from Q, but disappointingly brief. I remember the full page reviews of old (and the great interviews!)

Agreed. They were usually spot on. The Ray of Light, Music, COADF reviews were all extremely in depth. Even Erotica, BS< AL and Evita were full pages in detail even if the star rating was low.

Q used to be my go to for every album I bought or was considering buying. I feel they became a bit misogynistic after a while - I noticed a trend in dismissing albums by Tori, Sinead etc with small paragraphs. 

1 hour ago, stevo208 said:

Their other rating from memory:

Ray of Light 4 stars

Music 4 stars

American Life 3 stars 

Confessions 4 stars

Hard candy 3 stars 

MDNA 4 stars

Rebel Heart 3.5 stars 

Actually quite consistently good.

MDNA got 4 stars?!?

Q has heaped lots of praise on Madonna through the years (think all the greatest/best-of lists). That was a good review. Though aside from the 2014 for RH (understandable, given that six tracks were released in Dec. 2014), should Swae Lee be categorized as a rapper? I'm not really familiar with him outside of "Crave" and "Sunflower."

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

Rebel Heart came out in 2015 😒

Not on the internet! 🙊

From what we've heard, reviews seem good and upwards but there's never been a bad Madonna album!

One day this will be appreciated!

Oh it seems like in the Alternative Press rating, they rated 7 all the reggae/Latin tracks, maybe it’s not that they’re bad but maybe they didn’t liked that kind of sound? Because Medellin is not the same as Future.

About the Q review, it was great, not a lot of new info and reinforces what we knew. I’m excited about Come Alive and Crazy because there’s been good comments and of course the hits left are God control and DB.

Poor Flopping for Mercy.