MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

Just now, Nikki said:

what's the style of Alternative Press? Judging the site, they do seem to like more alternative, indie music.. 

Emo, punk, rock, metal, post-hardcore, pop-punk.

My Chemical Romance, Paramore, Twenty One Pilots, Fall Out Boy...

THE SCENE. 🖤

Piece of Sheffield's original ROL review from 1998:

“Sky Fits Heaven” takes its text from a Gap ad, which is at least an interesting place to seek the secrets of the universe, but “Shanti/Ashtangi,” where Madonna chants verse from the Yoga Taravali, sounds facile down here in the material world, especially since for all the faux Indian trappings it sounds like Devo’s version of “Working in the Coal Mine.” Madonna spends too much of the album slowing down the tempo in her quest for God, but God probably prefers “Into the Groove,” just like the rest of us.

Ray of Light isn’t quite the triumphant musical comeback her fans were praying novenas for. She hasn’t regained her genius for the crass, linear pop hook, and the Eighties Madonna of high-energy beats and wise-ass bravado is gone forever — that show is over, say goodbye. Instead, Ray of Light sums up the best we can expect from Madonna at this late date: overly arty, occasionally catchy, confused, secondhand, infuriating and great fun in spite of herself. She doesn’t seem to have a clear idea of what she wants to say about motherhood, other than that it’s the sort of intense experience that happens to a special person like Madonna. But that’s all it takes to get her emotions going, and passionate peaks like “Drowned World” and “Little Star” remind you that for all the years Madonna has spent chasing art, class and fashion, the reason we still care about her eccentricities is the emotion in her music; all her desperately chic decor can’t hide her rock & roll heart. We’ve all already forgotten the Sex book, the nose ring, the gold tooth. But we’ll always swoon for the lovesick Italian girl who sang “Crazy for You.” You can hear that voice on Ray of Light.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/ray-of-light-109869/

It's funny because it sounds like reading fans critiques on this board......always wishing for "the next...." (lately seems to be COADF) :lol: Does God prefer Hung Up like "the rest of us"??

Critics are not to be taken seriously (even though their reviews impact big time). I know for a fact about the critics in my newspaper  that sometimes they are too drunk to review any concert or in the Madonna case, one of them was so in love with ROL that he dispised Music so much and when AL was released he especifically wrote a WHOLE PAGE with the title "Madonna releases the worst album of her career". I was appalled. The whole reasong was that "just when this singer had finally released a good album, goes and doesn't follow what I like". 

22 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Critics are not to be taken seriously (even though their reviews impact big time). I know for a fact about the critics in my newspaper  that sometimes they are too drunk to review any concert or in the Madonna case, one of them was so in love with ROL that he dispised Music so much and when AL was released he especifically wrote a WHOLE PAGE with the title "Madonna releases the worst album of her career". I was appalled. The whole reasong was that "just when this singer had finally released a good album, goes and doesn't follow what I like". 

Well I felt pretty much like him. Well I didn't hate Music, but it felt like a big let down after the perfect ROL. Then AL was my least fav album ever. However COADF, 1/2 MDNA and RH saved the day :). Especially COADF, which I felt is still battling with ROL for the title of her best album.

22 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Piece of Sheffield's original ROL review from 1998:

“Sky Fits Heaven” takes its text from a Gap ad, which is at least an interesting place to seek the secrets of the universe, but “Shanti/Ashtangi,” where Madonna chants verse from the Yoga Taravali, sounds facile down here in the material world, especially since for all the faux Indian trappings it sounds like Devo’s version of “Working in the Coal Mine.” Madonna spends too much of the album slowing down the tempo in her quest for God, but God probably prefers “Into the Groove,” just like the rest of us.

Ray of Light isn’t quite the triumphant musical comeback her fans were praying novenas for. She hasn’t regained her genius for the crass, linear pop hook, and the Eighties Madonna of high-energy beats and wise-ass bravado is gone forever — that show is over, say goodbye. Instead, Ray of Light sums up the best we can expect from Madonna at this late date: overly arty, occasionally catchy, confused, secondhand, infuriating and great fun in spite of herself. She doesn’t seem to have a clear idea of what she wants to say about motherhood, other than that it’s the sort of intense experience that happens to a special person like Madonna. But that’s all it takes to get her emotions going, and passionate peaks like “Drowned World” and “Little Star” remind you that for all the years Madonna has spent chasing art, class and fashion, the reason we still care about her eccentricities is the emotion in her music; all her desperately chic decor can’t hide her rock & roll heart. We’ve all already forgotten the Sex book, the nose ring, the gold tooth. But we’ll always swoon for the lovesick Italian girl who sang “Crazy for You.” You can hear that voice on Ray of Light.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/ray-of-light-109869/

It's funny because it sounds like reading fans critiques on this board......always wishing for "the next...." (lately seems to be COADF) :lol: Does God prefer Hung Up like "the rest of us"??

Omg what a load of horse shit this review was. Unbelievable. I can’t even...

2 minutes ago, elijah said:

Well I felt pretty much like him. Well I didn't hate Music, but it felt like a big let down after the perfect ROL. Then AL was my least fav album ever. However COADF, 1/2 MDNA and RH saved the day :). Especially COADF, which I felt is still battling with ROL for the title of her best album.

But one thing is to be a fan and another a music critic. Music has so much creativity per beat that it dazzels and American Life is an incredibly brave album with Madonna not only exploring new sounds but creating beautiful songs like Love Profusion, Intervention and X-Tatic Process bangers like Nobody Knows Me and with a clear messsage in American Life, the song! 

Of course, after that DEBACLE in my newspaper, I was very sure to write the page when she released Confessions and I was sure to write how wonderful she is! Then with Hard Candy, we did the page between another writer and me and I defended the album and he critisied it :chuckle:. Afterwards we never were asked to write about any Madonna album at all 😞 

I’m sorry but if you don’t like American Life, you don’t get a MAJOR  part of who Madonna is, what she believes and what she represents. Not to mention that songs like Love Profusion, Nothing Fails, Intervention, Easy Ride are some of the BEST she’s ever done. Im Seriously over with fans who have the need to constantly remind everyone how much they didn’t like AL. Your fucking loss! 

1 minute ago, Katypatra said:

I’m sorry but if you don’t like American Life, you don’t get a MAJOR  part of who Madonna is, what she believes and what she represents. Not to mention that songs like Love Profusion, Nothing Fails, Intervention, Easy Ride are some of the BEST she’s ever done. Seriously over with fans who have the need to constantly remind everyone how much they didn’t like AL. Your fucking loss! 

I consider that fans are entitled not to like a certain album. The problem is when the critic is biased. 

I don't like Hard Candy much and yet, I defended it 🙂 

6 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

Omg what a load of horse shit this review was. Unbelievable. I can’t even...

Yep.....just goes to show though, it's been the same old song and dance for her entire career. Even the "untouchable" ROL was NOT LOVED across the board from the get-go....which seems to be a very popular narrative now some 20 yrs later. Which is why these reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. I know many won't admit it but some simply won't like an album until they see it's "universally loved". Haven't read Sheffield's updated ROL review....but I suspect the tone is a little different than the original. 🙂

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

definitely don't feel the same way you do. At the time I found ROL her best by far, I actually loved Music and AL much more than ROL and still do. COADF was half good, the good half just as stellar as ROL, M and AL but quite a couple of clunkers on that album. while I find MDNA and RH some of her career worst, I find if I take the best of those two albums it still doesn't come near ROL, M, AL

4 minutes ago, T0pher said:

definitely don't feel the same way you do. At the time I found ROL her best by far, I actually loved Music and AL much more than ROL and still do. COADF was half good, the good half just as stellar as ROL, M and AL but quite a couple of clunkers on that album. while I find MDNA and RH some of her career worst, I find if I take the best of those two albums it still doesn't come near ROL, M, AL

Interesting to read how the other fans view the albums. It seems she has music for every taste. Which explains the longevity. I love the fact that I enjoyed both MDNA and especially RH, cause it seems they turned off lots of fans. In my opinion the singles killed those albums, but there were so many great songs.

15 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I consider that fans are entitled not to like a certain album. The problem is when the critic is biased. 

I don't like Hard Candy much and yet, I defended it 🙂 

Well of course, but I’m just saying, I personally don’t get how any Madonna fan can be her fan and dislike AL. She was so authentic and genuine in that album/era. AL was just so well produced! It really sounds fresh even today. But ok, like I said, it’s their loss. Just like now, I’m obsessing with Future and Crave and Medellín, and even I Rise. But there are some fans posting throw up emojis on M’s social media.

Maybe instead of criticizing her new music, they should just realize they’re mentally limited to comprehend M’s musical directions and should take a different approach. Such as ALLOW Madonna express her own art and introduce them into her world without being torn apart with their senseless judgments! 

11 minutes ago, Katypatra said:

I’m sorry but if you don’t like American Life, you don’t get a MAJOR  part of who Madonna is, what she believes and what she represents. Not to mention that songs like Love Profusion, Nothing Fails, Intervention, Easy Ride are some of the BEST she’s ever done. Im Seriously over with fans who have the need to constantly remind everyone how much they didn’t like AL. Your fucking loss! 

I am not interested in that part of her really. The whole album felt (especially at first) like this joyless, angry experience with clumsy lyrics and basic melodies. However I like Easy Ride and Mother and Father. Nothing Fails is ok (a bit try hard), LP is a no. Its interesting how some performances really UPLIFTED the songs and the most striking example is NKM. The RIT performance elevated the song from one of my least favourite to one of my favourites. Of course, Madonna has no bad album, but we are talking in comparison to what followed. Maybe I really adored ROL and I wanted more of that? Could be. However she delivered with COADF, most of MDNA and RH more than enough.

17 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Yep.....just goes to show though, it's been the same old song and dance for her entire career. Even the "untouchable" ROL was NOT LOVED across the board from the get-go....which seems to be a very popular narrative now some 20 yrs later. Which is why these reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. I know many won't admit it but some simply won't like an album until they see it's "universally loved". Haven't read Sheffield's updated ROL review....but I suspect the tone is a little different than the original. 🙂

Exactly! You hit the nail on the head, with the  “universally loved” part. 

Just now, Katypatra said:

Well of course, but I’m just saying, I personally don’t get how any Madonna fan can be her fan and dislike AL. She was so authentic and genuine in that album/era. AL was just so well produced! It really sounds fresh even today. But ok, like I said, it’s their loss. Just like now, I’m obsessing with Future and Crave and Medellín, and even I Rise. But there are some fans posting throw up emojis on M’s social media. Maybe instead of criticizing her new music, they should just realize they’re mentally limited to comprehend M’s musical directions and should take a different approach. Such as ALLOW Madonna express her own art and introduce them into her world without being torn apart with their senseless judgments! 

I didn't like AL at first....at all. Never have I felt such disappointment after the first time listen of a Madonna album before or since. I had very specific expectations though. I wanted more of a continuation of my favorite Music track, II.....but what I got was more of a continuation of my LEAST fave Music track, I Deserve It. I can remember being soooooo excited about X-Static Process. Just by the name, I thought it was going to be a "weird", trance type of journey......well, it was the COMPLETE opposite. Plus, just her overall persona at the time was sort of a turn off.  Over time I've gained appreciation for it but I still consider it her weakest album. I will say though, it was at that point that I fully realized to not have any expectations when it comes to M.....she will do what she will do, even if it seems "weird". I guess that's why I'm now a "loon" (well according to some....LOL) that keeps a very open mind when it comes to her musical choices. Madonna is not here to please her fans or give them the next *insert fave fan song here*.....she's here to fulfill her artistic needs. The sooner people realize that, I think the sooner they can appreciate what she provides with an open mind.

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

Interesting to read how the other fans view the albums. It seems she has music for every taste. Which explains the longevity. I love the fact that I enjoyed both MDNA and especially RH, cause it seems they turned off lots of fans. In my opinion the singles killed those albums, but there were so many great songs.

I agree.. No album ever sound the same. Like she always said, each of her album represents her state of mind at the moment.. She moves on after each record, even though sometimes she repeats herself lyrically (yes I'm talking to you "fuzzy dream" and "like a moth to a flame" 😂)

So there's always album for everyone. I constantly change which M's album to listen to, depends on the mood I'm in. I might be biased, but I love all M's album cos they perfectly fit with all my moods. They all become the soundtrack of my life.. Can't wait for MadameX 😍

12 minutes ago, elijah said:

yes I do think that explains the longevity, we all like different things from her. I actually don't really listen too much of her post COADF, I'll still have my favorite songs in playlists but I haven't listened to those albums much since they were released. I find there were just way more bad songs on RH than good ones, none spectacular, to warrant me wanting to repeat listen

1 minute ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Guillotine for Kurt420, please :scared: :smile:

:lol:

least favorite at the time CC!! I've since gained appreciation for it!! 🙂 As I have for AL as well!! 

Put it this way, even for things I don't necessarily like (looking at Nothing Fails) I wouldn't change ANYTHING in her expansive music catalog. They all serve their purpose and have meaning even if they aren't my faves. I think my big worry at the time of AL was that she was going to be that way FOREVER going forward....lol.....*cue I'm So Stupid*.....I really shoulda known better!!

I think having so much variety post AL has helped me appreciate it's place in her catalog.

2 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Guillotine for Kurt420, please :scared: :smile:

Why? But I disagree. I Deserve It in my opinion is better than anything on AL. Actually its one of my favourites on Music. Since the first listen. So in my view AL unfortunately wasn't a continuation of I Deserve It.

7 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

I wanted more of a continuation of my favorite Music track, II.....but what I got was more of a continuation of my LEAST fave Music track, I Deserve It. I can remember being soooooo excited about X-Static Process. Just by the name, I thought it was going to be a "weird", trance type of journey......well, it was the COMPLETE opposite. 

200.gif

Just now, Kurt420 said:

least favorite at the time CC!! I've since gained appreciation for it!! 🙂 As I have for AL as well!! 

Put it this way, even for things I don't necessarily like (looking at Nothing Fails) I wouldn't change ANYTHING in her expansive music catalog. They all serve their purpose and have meaning even if they aren't my faves. I think my big worry at the time of AL was that she was going to be that way FOREVER going forward....lol.....*cue I'm So Stupid*.....I really shoulda known better!!

I think having so much variety post AL has helped me appreciate it's place in her catalog.

If you compare AL, COADF, and HC, you will be amazed at how hugely different these three consecutive albums are, from minimalist folktronica to glossy electro to urban sounds 

1 minute ago, elijah said:

Why? But I disagree. I Deserve It in my opinion is better than anything on AL. Actually its one of my favourites on Music. Since the first listen. So in my view AL unfortunately wasn't a continuation of I Deserve It.

What I meant by a continuation of IDI is that AL focused more on the acoustic side vs. the "dance", "techno" side of II. IDI was more on the acoustic side of things. I was REALLY hoping for an album of II's with AL hence my disappointment at the time. 

3 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Well, I'm sorry to announce that Madame X seems very American Life-ish: a collection of songs not made to impact radios but to send a clear message to the world. So brace yourself. 

Just now, Crystal Coffin said:

If you compare AL, COADF, and HC, you will be amazed at how hugely different these three consecutive albums are, from minimalist folktronica to glossy electro to urban sounds 

Exactly!! Which is what makes her so fucking brilliant!!! Within a 5 yr span she did acoustic personal campfire jingles, "disco stompers" 😬 and easily digestible R&B flaired pop music. Who the fuck else does that?? That's why I say now EVERYTHING she does is brilliant to some extent!!