MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

Strange kind of review.  Did not really review the songs in any great detail.  The Rolling Stone reviews and magazine are not what they used to be at all unfortunately. 

They always give her average reviews but later praise her works. Also he may have listened to AL once. People hate on that album for one song alone. AL itself. 

Also we can't get too angry about the review as unlike this guy, we haven't heard it 😂. I mean I highly doubt it but it could be a lot of weird shite haha 

6 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

Strange kind of review.  Did not really review the songs in any great detail.  The Rolling Stone reviews and magazine are not what they used to be at all unfortunately. 

Yeah, there's very little discussion of the songs? 

Madonna's music is very rarely accurately received at the time of release anyway. (see Erotica especially)

I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure they gave Immaculate Collection 5 stars.  This should qualify as the highest praise because that is a rarity.  Of course, it is a greatest hits/retrospective, and so it doesn't count as much.  It seems like it was an acknowledgment that collectively  her work was fucking brilliant, despite the lukewarm reviews for each album up to that point.  Yup.

13 minutes ago, Samo said:

Actually RS has always been pro Madonna, she's been on the cover a record, for a woman, 14 times including the first ever for a woman ALL special edition issue dedicated to her in 2015

If they praised the album, you wouldn't be saying this, let's be real here

Actually, no. As I stated, Rolling Stone used to be respected as a rock n roll b!ble. It has gone downhill in my opinion as it has to cater to a less discerning pop audience. That Madonna has been on the cover of the magazine so many times is testament to Madonna’s enduring appeal, and not to the validity or quality of the magazine.

Again, my issue with the review is that it does not critique the music. It is riddled with indications that as the journalist doesn’t understand the work, he  dismisses it as weirdness and eccentricity. I like the idea of both, but aside from a shady reference to her mysterious new accent and a dismissal of her lyrical prowess, the only indication of him actually having listened to the music intently as a critic should is in his appraisal of Crave. Perhaps he just heard that on YouTube like the rest of us and then put something together to beat the embargo! 😝 I could’ve put something more imaginative together if that’s the case.

Meh, I’m happy because it confirms that we’re in for a weird album with different sounds, they wanted something cohesive like Music or COADF but she has stated that this is a world album with different languages.

Weird that he doesn’t mentioned Faz Gostoso, it also confirms that Crazy is a very M song.

American Life is her worst album, just dreadful, boring, dull, uninspired songwriting, same monotonous guitar on EVERY song etc

Thank God for Confessions and Hard Candy, which is extremely underrated and probably the last Madonna album that the General Public is aware of, judging from the bizarro rollout so far, it certainly won't be Madame X

I was not happy when I found out she was working with Mirwais again, probably my least favorite M collaborator, even Music was a huge comedown compared to ROL, I just don't like his boring producing style at all

Not at all

Confessions volume 2 please Madonna?

4 minutes ago, Samo said:

American Life is her worst album, just dreadful, boring, dull, uninspired songwriting, same monotonous guitar on EVERY song etc

Thank God for Confessions and Hard Candy, which is extremely underrated and probably the last Madonna album that the General Public is aware of, judging from the bizarro rollout so far, it certainly won't be Madame X

I was not happy when I found out she was working with Mirwais again, probably my least favorite M collaborator, even Music was a huge comedown compared to ROL, I just don't like his boring producing style at all

Not at all

American Life is her best album

thank you next 

8 minutes ago, Samo said:

Not at all

🤮🤮🤮🤮😂😂😂😂

this is the most absurd post I’ve seen in a long time...more absurd than all the meltdowns since this era has begun! 

But it cracked me up!!!! So keep them comin!!! 

10 minutes ago, Samo said:

Not at all

Gurrl sit your ass down! 🙄

14 minutes ago, Samo said:

Not at all

Why does every thread in every Madonna forum on ever planet in every universe turn into people saying how underrated hard candy is 😂😂😂. I mean yes it's a banger. Move.on. 

American life is beautiful. 

Easy ride X static process nothing fails BEAUTIFUL.

did you not like music the album? Also mirwais. 

15 minutes ago, Samo said:

Not at all

No it’s not. Better your check your deafness.

18 minutes ago, Samo said:

Not at all

FB13B15B-8E5B-49FC-BD3E-3DA64E7A84EE.gif

7 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

No it’s not. Better your check your deafness.

It's widely considered her worst album by  renowned respected music critics the world over and even casual Madonna fans that I've encountered.  That whole album.is the antithesis of what Madonna represents.  I love artistic Madonna, ROL is artistic Madonna done brilliantly, AL is artistic Madonna done horribly

I think I've listened to the whole AL album twice in the last 10 years and even then it's ALWAYS hard to get through, some of those lyrics in Mother and Father and other songs are laughably bad

I still remember my local paper, The Philadelphia Inquirer, which generally loves Madonna, gave AL a 1 star review and called it "the bomb of the year"

So he thinks it's bizarre, huh? Need to hear it for myself, is it June 14th yet? 😂😭

2 hours ago, rocksteady said:

Anybody saying AL is ass has to go.

The fact he’s a journalist describing an album as ass is so strange and befitting how low the print standard truly is. For the record, I love a$$. 

The Medellin jab (scandal bait) also was weird. It’s not a controversial song at all. 

Looking forward to the album.

Rob Sheffield used to be one of the best music critics in my opinion.  I have also read and enjoyed three of his books on music.  This review says next to nothing about any of the songs. Sadly, he seems to be running on fumes.

1 minute ago, Samo said:

It's widely considered her worst album by  renowned respected music critics the world over and even casual Madonna fans that I've encountered.  That whole album.is the antithesis of what Madonna represents.  I love artistic Madonna, ROL is artistic Madonna done brilliantly, AL is artistic Madonna done horribly

I think I've listened to the whole AL album twice in the last 10 years and even then it's ALWAYS hard to get through, some of those lyrics in Mother and Father and other songs are laughably bad

I still remember my local paper, The Philadelphia Inquirer, which generally loves Madonna, gave AL a 1 star review and called it "the bomb of the year"

Well, Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me was destroyed by critics in 1992, but now it is considered to be one of the most important films of David Lynch's career.

Another example is John Carpenter's The Thing.

The final example is Madonna's American Life which is now regarded as one of her's most experimental albums.

1 minute ago, side_streets said:

Well, Twin Peaks, Fire Walk With Me was destroyed by critics in 1992, but now it is considered to be one of the most important films of David Lynch's career.

Another example is John Carpenter's The Thing.

The final example is Madonna's American Life which is now regarded as one of her's most experimental albums.

By whom?  Yes some hardcore fans are DESPERATE for AL to become renown but it's not happening with the General Public or critics who panned it upon it's release and STILL hate it

Erotica has kinda gotten the recognition it deserved back in 1992 but AL is still widely panned and deservedly so, it's A bad album.  Her only subpar album

Have mixed feeling regarding the review although it does confirm to me that the album will be an interesting release.

Agreed that he could've gave it a slightly higher rating based on the review.

3 minutes ago, Nick said:

Have mixed feeling regarding the review although it does confirm to me that the album will be an interesting release.

Agreed that he could've gave it a slightly higher rating based on the review.

He seemed confused what to make of the music

30 minutes ago, Samo said:

That whole album.is the antithesis of what Madonna represents.

Maybe not what she represents to you, but AL is the closest we've been to M herself.

This mythical Confessions 2 is NEVER GONNA HAPPEN. Thank God.

1 hour ago, Samo said:

tenor.gif

That’s not really a review ... and to say Confessions was safe ... ok *in theory* ... but I remember reviews talking about a song like “How High?” — how, thematically, it was an existential crisis, and who really wonders if “they should carry on” with a glow stick in their mouth? Yeah, COADF in execution was daring. It wasn’t all ABBA covers. (We’re looking at you, Chair.)

I love (sarcastic) how he gives it a middle of the road rating and then says “time will tell it it holds up.” No kidding. That happens with all music, like all art. Your job is to evaluate it *now.*

And what was the scandal for Medellín. He is all over the place.

(Also, closing criticism, it was extremely unprofessional to call an album like AL “a$$” — I don’t care if you want to say something negative about it — that’s your prerogative as a critic, but do it with CLASS. USE YOUR WORDS. YOU HAVE A VOCABULARY, DON’T YOU?)