New Madonna interview: Têtu Magazine - France

42 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

On killers who are partying you sing “I’ll be Israel if Israel is imprisoned, I’ll be Islam if Islam is attacked”. How should we understand this? That you want to be aligned with minorities?

What Mirwais and I wanted to say with song is that we don’t see the world as fragmented, but as united. And I’m a part of that world. I’m an aspect of the Universe’s soul. I don’t define myself by categories and labels. But society loves labels and to separate people. Poor people, gay people, Africans. Because it makes us feel safe. What I’m saying in this song is that I’ll be each of the boxes you try to put me in. I’ll put myself on the frontline. I’ll take the hits; the heat...because I’m a citizen of the world and my soul is connected to everyone else’s. Also I’m responsible for everyone and I must take care of them. If someone else suffers, then I suffer. To me a song is an act and a declaration of solidarity.

This sounds fucking amazing 

Provocation has always been a means to spread your message to people on gay rights, women’s rights, against racism...but now it’s the (?) that use provocation....

“Give me an example?”

"THE CONTINUATION OF AMERICAN LIFE..." oh man, I knew the album was going to be changing my life again...the last time I had a big spiritual awakening/found myself was when American Life came out and I spent 2 months in Europe and that was a huge deal for me, a milestone in my life full of inspiration, spirituality, and just coming to terms with certain aspects of my life. This is why American Life has always been a BIG album for me, literally a part of my life.

A few months ago I felt like I needed the same kind of "tune up" with where I am in my life... booked my trip to Europe several months ago in hopes of having another similar situation-and the day that I leave (June 14th) this album comes out... it's definitely not a coincidence. I booked my trip with my intention "I need a change, I need inspiration in my life again, I need to improve/let go of things," and I booked it BEFORE even Madame X was officially announced with dates/themes, etc. Thank you Universe, and especially thank you to Madonna! 

Sorry for the TMI and long post guys, I just love this era so much right now...

1 minute ago, jonur said:

"THE CONTINUATION OF AMERICAN LIFE..." oh man, I knew the album was going to be changing my life again...the last time I had a big spiritual awakening/found myself was when American Life came out and I spent 2 months in Europe and that was a huge deal for me, a milestone in my life full of inspiration, spirituality, and just coming to terms with certain aspects of my life. This is why American Life has always been a BIG album for me, literally a part of my life.

A few months ago I felt like I needed the same kind of "tune up" with where I am in my life... booked my trip to Europe in hopes of having another similar situation-and the day that I day (June 14th) this album comes out... it's definitely not a coincidence. Thank you Universe, and especially thank you to Madonna! 

Sorry for the TMI and long post guys, I just love this era so much right now...

OMG. Thats so interesting.

4 hours ago, M_Sinner said:

Well we need larger scanned photos and a translation lol

Wow speechless!!!

1 hour ago, robster said:
Also from the Tetu interview:

"Killers who are Partying" is the first song we have worked on. It's a political piece, but everything Mirwais and I do together always ends up not becoming political. Because it's also his way of thinking. The guitar we hear in intro is a sample that I captured myself during a fado session. The sound of this guitar is exactly what I wanted. I really felt inspired by the melancholy and the feeling of this music, by the sound of Cesaria Evora, Morna and Cape Verde. The authenticity of the music that I hear everywhere in Portugal has touched me. I wanted to appropriate this music and make it sound more modern. I asked Mirwais, "What do you think you can do with it, does it inspire you?" Obviously, it pleased him a lot, "reveals the songstress of "I Rise ".

Thanks! I so can't wait to hear this!

16 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

Provocation has always been a means to spread your message to people on gay rights, women’s rights, against racism...but now it’s the (?) that use provocation....

“Give me an example?”

Thank you very much for the translation

People like Marine Lepen and Donald Trump...

(Cannot read enough of what it says and so I don’t want to put words in her mouth)

Do you feel connected to your gay fans? What about being a gay icon?

The word icon is one that others can use, but I can’t apply it to myself! Do you think I’m an icon?

Is this album an homage to your life in Portugal?

You heard it. You tell me if I made an homage to Portugal and fado...not just fado either. There are lots of other influences I picked up on while there. But even with other influences, it’s defiantly an album that is an expression of my time in Portugal. I have a house there and I go back often. My son still plays for Benefica. But you know I live on airplanes. The skies are my home! (Laughs)

I hope my Portuguese is good. I had a great coach. Dino d’santiago. He helped me a lot and introduced me to excellent musicians. His presence by my side was fundamental to the production of this album!

We are familiar with him. Tell us about your collaboration.

He was a sort of interface. He’s from Cape Verde. Most of the cape verdean musician I worked with didn’t speak any English. He was in the studio with me when we were recording the songs. He would explain what I wanted. He helped me musically to give life to these songs because I didn’t have any other means to communicate with the musicians!  We made a song called Funana that will be a bonus cut. I have another song that isn’t on the deluxe edition called Ciao Bella. The singer Kimi Djabate who’s from Guinea-Bissau songs on that track. Dino introduced me to him. When he came to sing on the album he didn’t speak a word of English, only creole. Dino was the translator and helped me a lot. 

When I played Killers Who Are Partying and Extreme Occident, which are both definitely morna-influenced, I sent him the tracks. I really wanted his feedback. I wanted to know if he felt the songs were authentic. His approval was important to me.

How did you pick the people you collaborated with? Like Maluma for example. 

It happened very organically. All of my collaborations are decided upon meeting people. We share a glass of champagne, we get along well and we talk about what we can accomplish together. To tell you the truth, there’s nothing particularly profound about it.its very instinctive. I’m a fan of each person I’ve collaborated with. 

You’ve often worked with French people: JPG, JR, Martin Solveig, Mirwais...what links/connects you to them?

Yes! What is this connection to Frenchmen?its as if I can’t get rid of them! (Laughs)

They're responsible for my greatest collaborations. Mondino, Gaultier, Mirwais...I think I love them because they’re very...stubborn! They hold strong. The people you mention are also extremely intellectual, extremely creative and very cultured. We have great synergy. (She slams her glass down in the table and yells “Aqua por favor!” Everyone leaps to action. Then she points out a photographer and yells “who let the paparazzi in? Who are you? Do I know you?!” 

The photographer stops, terrorized. “It’s Ricardo, the official photographer of Madonna” her publicist clarifies. Everyone laughs! 

1 minute ago, Herfaceremains said:

You’ve often worked with French people: JPG, JR, Martin Solveig, Mirwais...what links/connects you to them?

Yes! What is this connection to Frenchmen?its as if I can’t get rid of them! (Laughs)

They're responsible for my greatest collaborations. Mondino, Gaultier, Mirwais...I think I love them because they’re very...stubborn! They hold strong. The people you mention are also extremely intellectual, extremely creative and very cultured. We have great synergy. (She slams her glass down in the table and yells “Aqua por favor!” Everyone leaps to action. Then she points out a photographer and yells “who let the paparazzi in? Who are you? Do I know you?!” 

The photographer stops, terrorized. “It’s Ricardo, the official photographer of Madonna” her publicist clarifies. Everyone laughs! 

:lmao:

13 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

He was a sort of interface. He’s from Cape Verde. Most of the cape verdean musician I worked with didn’t speak any English. He was in the studio with me when we were recording the songs. He would explain what I wanted. He helped me musically to give life to these songs because I didn’t have any other means to communicate with the musicians!  We made a song called Funana that will be a bonus cut. I have another song that isn’t on the deluxe edition called Ciao Bella. The singer Kimi Djabate who’s from Guinea-Bissau songs on that track. Dino introduced me to him. When he came to sing on the album he didn’t speak a word of English, only creole. Dino was the translator and helped me a lot. 

When I played Killers Who Are Partying and Extreme Occident, which are both definitely morna-influenced, I sent him the tracks. I really wanted his feedback. I wanted to know if he felt the songs were authentic. His approval was important to me.

She confirms the existence of the bonus tracks, they're legit, y'all!

14 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

So they won’t be on the standard deluxe, but the version that’s in the box set with the guitar cover?

On the album you sing in Spanish and Portuguese. Is that an attempt to challenge the stronghold English has on pop music. 

Thats exactly why! I like the idea of world music.  I hate divisions/compartmentalizing. We don’t want to do it with people, so why would we do it with music? I love turning in the radio in NY and hearing people sing in Spanish, or getting in my car in Lisbon and hearing dancehall or reggaeton. It’s amazing! Stepping away from English is challenging, but you’ll have noticed I love a challenge!

58 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

No. It’s the journalist who dismisses it in the intro editorial. I’m focusing on the interview so just summarized. 

Oh okay. Thank you for clearing that up. I really appreciate the translations ❤️

That’s it guys. Then there’s a Gaultier interview, but I gotta got the gym. Hope my translation was satisfactory! It’s an amazing first album-focuses review! So exciting! See how quickly we moved on from whatever happened a few days ago! Madonna is absolutely fucking brilliant! 

And so glad we get the Crave video today! This is the best era in 20 years!

💛💪🏽🌟

Edited by Herfaceremains

8 minutes ago, TXIII said:

So they won’t be on the standard deluxe, but the version that’s in the box set with the guitar cover?

Yep, they're only available on the physical 2CD deluxe. Though they may be available digitally on a seperate EP months later like she did with the super deluxe Rebel Heart tracks. 

5 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

That’s it guys. Then there’s a Gaultier interview, but I gotta got the gym. Hope my translation was satisfactory! It’s an amazing first album-focuses review! So exciting! See how quickly we moved on from whatever happened a few days ago! Madonna is absolutely fucking brilliant! 

💛💪🏽🌟

Thanks a lot for the translations, much appreciated!

4 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

💛💪🏽🌟

Thank you very much! Bravooo!

giphy.gif 

8 minutes ago, Herfaceremains said:

💛💪🏽🌟

Thank you so much for taking the time to translate this for us! Excited beyond belief