EUROVISION! The aftermath!

18 minutes ago, dollhouse said:

They also beefed up the backing track music. Its not that flat anymore.

Thank god. Been watching the official upload video now on repeat. I love it.

As I said. It sounded the same to me as it did on the Eurovision YouTube channel. 

7 minutes ago, maximiliano- said:

Do you really think she's not training her voice anymore? At all? I love the performance but I'm a bit concerned about her voice health. 

Ciao, Maximilian.😉 Personally I think she had issues with ear monitors and couldn't hear herself well.

49 minutes ago, Napoléon said:

I just watched the Vevo version on her channel and I'm pretty sure there was nothing different regarding vocals compared to the streamed version I watched on the Eurovision Youtube channel?!?!

giphy (22).gif

omg...lots of hate comments on her official esc video. i am sad... it is like things are getting worse. the edited version makes her poor even more. i want to be positive. but this situation.... she is about to be 61. people makes mistakes. why people so harsh to her.

8 minutes ago, Nikki said:

there's people here who are acting like madonna shouldn't respond back, that she should just post the little edit on instagram and youtube and people forget about it in a few weeks.. I really think she can do damage control, but so far we just have *silence*

That's what she's ALWAYS done. She's not what you want her to be in terms of PR. Accept it! She's never released absurd jokes or comments after Pepsi or LAP or Sex or whatever. She moves on! 

Just now, fandonna said:

omg...lots of hate comments on her official esc video. i am sad... it is like things are getting worse. the edited version makes her poor even more. i want to be positive. but this situation.... she is about to be 61. people makes mistakes. why people so harsh to her.

Where's a dramatic violin when you need it :chuckle:

It's interesting that all of a sudden "it's over" for her in regards to some bum notes in a few minutes of singing...nevermind that the rest of the performance was just fine vocally...nevermind that she just had a great performance with Medellín a couple weeks ago that people were praising...nevermind that she has nearly 4 decades of singing on record anyone can pull up on youtube in a matter of seconds...  but this ONE performance is folks' final chance to finally write her off. :blink::rolleyes:

As others have pointed out... this is about something SO much bigger than just the performance and the off singing. This is tapping into something bigger within a lot of people (and the culture at large), and it has become the perfect excuse for them to dig their claws in (once again, as its happened multiple times throughout her career).

I know it's sacrilege to mention here, but if Mariah-fucking-Carey, a "real vocalist" (:tongue:) can be 'redeemed' from years of shitty vocal performances and acting like a goddamn drunken fool...let alone other pop stars that have given zombie-level "performances" time and again... Madonna can literally give one performance that will have at least half of these motherfuckers right back in the palm of her hand again. Mark my words.

1 hour ago, Napoléon said:

I'm not sure what is going on.

I just watched the Vevo version on her channel and I'm pretty sure there was nothing different regarding vocals compared to the streamed version I watched on the Eurovision Youtube channel?!?!

I'm not sure why people are saying they cleaned up her vocals because to me I didn't hear a difference.

Was there something wrong with the television broadcast? I can only go off both videos I've watched so far and neither are as terrible as what people are saying. As has been pointed out she has had far far far worse vocal performances so I don't know why THIS is being singled out. It wasn't even that bad?

It's been cleaned up for sure. I taped it from the live broadcast and the two sounds are totally different. 

I'm a little late to this party.....am I to assume it's just Madonnas people that have released her performance and not the Eurovision people??

6 minutes ago, karbatal said:

That's what she's ALWAYS done. She's not what you want her to be in terms of PR. Accept it! She's never released absurd jokes or comments after Pepsi or LAP or Sex or whatever. She moves on!  

Maybe cuz back then Madonna had Liz Rosenberg who could do damage control in a blink of an eye from backstage. Now she have who?

vb20nr.gif

She’s going to have ups and downs. But there are a lot more downs at this stage of her career. It’s painful for all of us, I’m sure, and painful for her. But she’s got to crack the whip on her team, and she’s got to make some smart decisions going forward. And she will. The tour will be grand. They always are. The press will love the tour, her vocals will be great, and we’ll forget mostly about this. But we’ve got to make it through the promo phase. That’s the scariest part. 

Edited by bcx

8 minutes ago, Kilt said:

Now she  has @Crystal Coffin

Nobody needs a "yes" man, it's a scary thing 😂

10 minutes ago, bcx said:

She’s going to have ups and downs. But there are a lot more downs at this stage of her career. It’s painful for all of us, I’m sure, and painful for her. But she’s got to crack the whip on her team, and she’s got to make some smart decisions going forward. And she will. The tour will be grand. They always are. The press will love the tour, her vocals will be great, and we’ll forget mostly about this. But we’ve got to make it through the promo phase. That’s the scariest part. 

Everything has changed after she left Warner, I agree. But we need to move on. I have a feeling this era is going to be much more interesting than RH! I'm so excited for the videos, singles, tv shows! She will have so much fun on the tour, she will enjoy it much more than other tours

a lot of you need to let this go.

the more fuel you give to it, the more it's going to spiral.

she's been taking this kind of flak for nearly 40 years, sometimes the criticism is fair and a lot of the times it isn't (in both cases it is usually misplaced and goes too far into hating but i digress)

we have to learn as a collective not to give this stuff power and more importantly not to take it so personally.

and we also have to learn to accept critical opinions that don't think everything she does is the second coming, i happened to enjoy saturday but many didn't and providing it doesn't become a personal attack on her as a human being, that's valid.

Just now, maximiliano- said:

Was Eurovision the last live promo performance before the album release?

Naah, I'm sure she's doing more than ESC cmon, Pride is rumored also

2 minutes ago, maximiliano- said:

Was Eurovision the last live promo performance before the album release?

I doubt it as she chose to release the album 4 weeks after the event. 

'I think there's more coming to fill the empty space.

Just now, Carey said:

a lot of you need to let this go.

the more fuel you give to it, the more it's going to spiral.

she's been taking this kind of flak for nearly 40 years, sometimes the criticism is fair and a lot of the times it isn't (in both cases it is usually misplaced and goes too far into hating but i digress)

we have to learn as a collective not to give this stuff power and more importantly not to take it so personally.

and we also have to learn to accept critical opinions that don't think everything she does is the second coming, i happened to enjoy saturday but many didn't and providing it doesn't become a personal attack on her as a human being, that's valid.

We're getting a new album in less than a month!!!

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, M_Sinner said:

Everything has changed after she left Warner, I agree. But we need to move on. I have a feeling this era is going to be much more interesting than RH! I'm so excited for the videos, singles, tv shows! She will have so much fun on the tour, she will enjoy it much more than other tours

I like it a lot more than RH, too! 

2 minutes ago, M_Sinner said:

I am obviously one of the most critical to her awful Eurovision performance and if I am sitting next to her now, I would literally ask her to take care of her voice, so me a "yes man"? Please GO FUCK YOURSELF.

Quavo and mike dean are absolute gutter trash and are too busy getting high to have ever been trusted or blessed with the opportunity to be a part of such an important event and statement from the queen.  

3 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

If it was an obscure performance by some local singer like Sophie Ellis-Bextor at a little gig attended by less than 5,000 people, yes I would agree people exaggerated. Sorry, but you need to get out of your bubbles to actually understand why the underwhelming performance was a big deal to many. But really, whatever. 

They don't understand that this was a MOMENT in Madonna European history, Her first prime time Saturday night slot in decades in some cases, in many countries in front of hundreds of millions of viewers wondering what Madonna's been up to these last few years.

It hasn't gone down as a moment because of the obscured "political message" which btw, had zero impact until the very social media these people are decrying highlighted it (the real political moment of the night was of course  the Icelanders who boldly pulled out Palestinian scarfs and held them aloft during the voting)

As @CzarnaWisnia has rightly pointed out, anyone looking to a pop star for political guidance (and who's above voting age) probably has serious issues. Most of us love Madonna for her artistry (which, yes, occasionally touches upon very basic political ideals) 

What it has gone down as is a messy performance. Now that's rare from Madonna at the best of times but frankly inexcusable at a mammoth event on the eve of your new album roll out. You get one shot at this kind of thing. Yeah we can watch back 20 times and say "well that bit was good, that line sounded okay".but it doesn't work like that.

A lot of us here were quite rightly sad and upset that out friends, family, personal social media streams (ie not trolls) and respectable news outlets noted how bad she sang, how stiff she was and what an awful choice of song and collaborator she chose to get her message across. The "message" didn't even come into it really.  Now when that's the reaction from the 'normal' populace then you can bet your life the social media and media response is gonna be what it was,

So for those who don't understand it, well of course you don't. Try showing a little understanding and empathy towards fans in other territories instead of the usual derision and apoplectic, apologetic, victim playing nonsense.

Yes it has passed, yes social media storms come and go, but the real-world remaining effect is that it went from "Is she on yet? Where's Madonna? What's she gonna sing?" to "She's not very good is she?". 

Price in NYC is *after* the album release, should it happen. On that note, 🤣 at there still being no confirmation/announcement of the Sunday performer, when the event's just a month out.

In any event, that's not a widespread/broadcast event that the general public would see.

Back to Euro- after 36 years in the public eye, one perceived-as-not-out-of-the-park performance isn't going top affect her legacy in any form. Everyone has an off night (by their standards).

4 hours ago, pjcowley said:

This well known (in Italy) Italian TV presenter, DJ and huge music connoisseur, has posted an absolutely brilliant review of Madonna's Eurovision show, talking about the symbolism in the theatrics, the meaning behind all that, praising her hugely, and like many others astonished by the level of horrible vitriol she got - thank you @cocolattee for letting us know! 

It's amazing that he completely understood what a huge chunk of Madonna fans clearly did not get at all.

Thank u so much for posting this!!! what a brilliant review he gives, especially as this guy is huge here in Italy he's not just a nobody.

5 hours ago, Sky Fits Heaven said:

In my opinion, the post 2001Madonna rarely, if ever, wins anything from collaborations. Okay that some performances and songs end up looking/sounding good, but, at the long-term, the ones that benefit from it are the featuring singers, the producers, etc, with whom she work cuz after working together they have Madonna name on their curriculum and that's a big thing. But, for her, what they add to her art is, most of the time, a footnote and nothing to write home about.

The fact that Quavo mentioned Champagne Rosé as his favorite Madonna song can be interpreted from three points of view:

1) It is, in fact, his fave Madonna song and he just gave a straight honest answer
2) It's not his fave Madonna song (he had other one in mind), but as the other song that they did together, he lied and answer it in order to promote it
3) He doesn't know or couldn't think about any of her numerous hits and so just answer it cuz it was their first collaboration/what he could remember

Which one I'm most inclined to believe that is the real one? The third option. But is this an exclusive Quavo thing? I bet not. If one asked the same question to Timbaland, Timberlake, Martin Solveig,  Benassi brothers, Billboard, Kanye West, M.I.A., Nicki Minaj, Drake, Anitta, Swae Lee, Dino D'Santiago and, I dare to say, even Maluma, how many of them could really answer a non-collaboration track or a non-safe signature hit (Holiday, Like A Virgin, La Isla Bonita, Like A Prayer, Vogue) as their favorite Madonna song? How many of them really know her back catalogue? How many of them worked with her cuz she's a singer that they admire since ever and how many did it cuz she's an world wide icon and a good name to be attached to? This is food for thought.

I agree but I think she is using them as much as they are using her. They get to be attached to the most famous person on the planet and she gets to look trendy.

17 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

I am obviously one of the most critical to her awful Eurovision performance and if I am sitting next to her now, I would literally ask her to take care of her voice, so me a "yes man"? Please GO FUCK YOURSELF.

You are right. Although you really like her a lot, you are very critical when it comes to this performance.