EUROVISION! The aftermath!

11 minutes ago, Nick said:

Would be great if other artists were supportive about Eurovision.

Madonna has collaborated with so many other artists, and they don't seem to publicly stick up for her.

Probably because they haven’t heard about this? 

2 hours ago, TRVC said:

The performance was amazing. Absolutely amazing. I am shocked with the hate she is getting...HOWEVER...the performance stood out (regardless if people enjoyed it or not).. PUBLICITY is always GOOD people. This performance could have been an amazing dance number and pleased everyone...but would have vanished from the media within a few days. (Billboard performance for example)

THIS WAS GREAT! grab those headlines Madame X...only you could still grab worldwide headlines for any performance. So proud 

you were one of the people hating.

Last night I was only able to see the edited version with Dark Ballet missing. Now that I've actually had a chance to really watch the full performance, it makes the absolute hysterics from the media (not in the US thank goodness) and in this forum completely and utterly RIDICULOUS. In fact, in terms of history of this forum, I think the absolute absurdity of it all can only be compared to "Gagagate" as far as just how irrational people are. The fact that the absolute, over the top hysterics in this forum lead me to believe before watching the performance that I was about to witness a career suicide....a Britney '07 type moment is actually quite pathetic. Truly, a NEW LOW for this forum. So incredibly disappointed in some posters....not because they didn't like it but because of their reactions and how they feed into the over the top bullshit. In regard to the media, some bum notes and a questionable musical arrangement don't equate to the type of vitriol she's getting. I dare someone to say she should ignore the US after the absolute ugliness I've seen from the European media today. Clearly, some of the criticisms are rooted somewhere else FAR BEYOND her Eurovision performance.

Now that I've seen it in full and without having insane hysterics pre-shape my opinion, I can honestly say she delivered last night. She hit some questionable notes but I can spout off ten other performances from the top of my head that are far worse. Will agree, it's time to step up the musical arrangements and Quavo works on the recorded version of Future but his stage presence is non-existent. Outside of those two things, I saw NOTHING wrong with this performance. #sorrynotsorry. This wasn't meant to be a light, dance driven number....clearly it was meant to be heavy all around. Perhaps that's not appropriate for Eurovision....which is what makes it all the better to me. 

But yeah......let's keep waiting for the disco banger to pop up and for her to slip on the leotard again and do the crabwalk 🙄  Not everyone can come into the future indeed. Wake up!

13 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Last night I was only able to see the edited version with Dark Ballet missing. Now that I've actually had a chance to really watch the full performance, it makes the absolute hysterics from the media (not in the US thank goodness) and in this forum completely and utterly RIDICULOUS. In fact, in terms of history of this forum, I think the absolute absurdity of it all can only be compared to "Gagagate" as far as just how irrational people are. The fact that the absolute, over the top hysterics in this forum lead me to believe before watching the performance that I was about to witness a career suicide....a Britney '07 type moment is actually quite pathetic. Truly, a NEW LOW for this forum. So incredibly disappointed in some posters....not because they didn't like it but because of their reactions and how they feed into the over the top bullshit. In regard to the media, some bum notes and a questionable musical arrangement don't equate to the type of vitriol she's getting. I dare someone to say she should ignore the US after the absolute ugliness I've seen from the European media today. Clearly, some of the criticisms are rooted somewhere else FAR BEYOND her Eurovision performance.

Now that I've seen it in full and without having insane hysterics pre-shape my opinion, I can honestly say she delivered last night. She hit some questionable notes but I can spout off ten other performances from the top of my head that are far worse. Will agree, it's time to step up the musical arrangements and Quavo works on the recorded version of Future but his stage presence is non-existent. Outside of those two things, I saw NOTHING wrong with this performance. #sorrynotsorry. This wasn't meant to be a light, dance driven number....clearly it was meant to be heavy all around. Perhaps that's not appropriate for Eurovision....which is what makes it all the better to me. 

But yeah......let's keep waiting for the disco banger to pop up and for her to slip on the leotard again and do the crabwalk 🙄  Not everyone can come into the future indeed. Wake up!

THIS 100% preach 

Two random thoughts before I move on to stanning Dark Ballet hard next week:

1. Where’s the new PR firm in all of this? Maybe they’re doing damage control in the background? Or just playing dead?

2. Isn’t it funny how up until last week we were mostly counting on Europe for the kind of support she needed for this era (especially charts), and now I think it’s mostly the US that will have her back (especially since the Eurovision is not a thing over there). 

2 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Amen Kurt420! Last night I saw many things in this forum that went beyond the disappointment for a supposed bad  performance...I read a lot of posts full of hatred, people who liked to hit her to destroy her finally, monsters who came back here after months of silence to laugh at her..I defended her like many others did.. what I did not understand is  the behaviour of many.. it seemed  that the  order was to abandon the sinking ship. It was cruel especially after her speech at the GLAAD. I really hope the atmoshere will change. 

The US pretty much always has her back. Sure the radio programmers are finicky here and have been for ages but the bottom line is, when she hits the road here, she fills every seat. Have to say in the past few tours, I feel like even the reviews have been more favorable to her in the US as well than other parts of the world. 

Watching her performance again and have to say, that stage is one of the most impressive she's ever performed on. Beautifully done. She uploaded it to her own channel so clearly she has no qualms with how things turned out. 

3 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

It's fine if M wants to be political in her performances, that's nothing new, however I never liked a Madonna performance because it was political but in spite of it. Execution is paramount. Aesthetics are paramount. Artists are not activists. They can be, but it's usually artists who have actually lived experiences that justify their activism. When a highly successful multimillionaire American artist blunders into an old and complicated international war situation overseas with simplistic "messages" like "world peace please!" and "wake up, idiots", it can be seen as ridiculous. I don't see the point she was trying to make. War is bad? Duh.

One of the first things you learn in art is that all art/self-expression is, in some way, inherently political...especially if you're saying something with your work beyond just a pretty image. Beyond mere commercial peaks at this point, I think she has embraced her political side into her art even more. To overlook that is to miss an inherent part of who she is, and ever more so in the last couple decades.

As for the "you're too privileged/haven't lived it to have a real opinion on it" attitude... Madonna has always been the antithesis to that. And isn't that kind of the issue, that people with such great privileges need to give a damn more? I mean, with that attitude, why advocate for anything, let alone work so hard to gain allies, which helps accomplish things? Yes, it's important to educate yourself about what you're taking a stand on, but something tells me Madonna knows about the issues. I mean, there are LGBT+ folks who have pointed the finger at her when it comes to her gay advocacy because 'she's not really one of us'. And yet she's always made it clear she will never buy into that. And god bless her for it.

In the end, I think the point she was trying to make is the point she's always had...it was literally projected behind her - Be conscious. Be aware. Give a damn about something, particularly humanity, beyond rigid ideology and borders. Oneness - The message that she has been giving for decades now. And a certain kind of simplicity is how popular artists have always reached the masses with these messages. I don't think these artists, nor Madonna, are saying they have the solution. But that doesn't mean one shouldn't care first and foremost about how we're treating each other as simply human beings. It starts there. That's the part we as individuals can play. Anything else is cynicism, and it doesn't accomplish anything. With all the pressure for her to boycott (by those who probably would never have had the guts to go do what she actually did), she took the moment - during a cheesy competition - to speak up. In the times we're in, I applaud her for that.

43 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

And this pretty much sums it up.

Well said. Well. Said.

28 minutes ago, Shedoeshair said:

25qvh2d.jpg

Ugly?!  WTF!  Madonna was not considered ugly in the 80's!  She's the ultimate sex symbol of the 80's.

15 minutes ago, systemvalues said:

Amen Kurt420! Last night I saw many things in this forum that went beyond the disappointment for a supposed bad  performance...I read a lot of posts full of hatred, people who liked to hit her to destroy her finally, monsters who came back here after months of silence to laugh at her..I defended her like many others did.. what I did not understand is  the behaviour of many.. it seemed  that the  order was to abandon the sinking ship. It was cruel especially after her speech at the GLAAD. I really hope the atmoshere will change. 

And you put it far more eloquently and concisely than I ever could! lol 

You totally nailed it with the sinking ship analogy. Never would've thought of it in those terms but that definitely sums up the feeling to a tee. Reading comments from her "biggest supporters" that she DESERVED the intense criticism, some fans posting 30 yr old performances lamenting "WHY can't she do this anymore". It went far far beyond the normal reaction of simply being disappointed in a live performance. Completely shameful and ugly.

I don't feel bad for saying I hope any of you that were being "extra" FAIL in your endeavors to get Madame X theater tix. Do us a favor and save it for those of us that'll really appreciate it. Seats are limited this time....just sit this one out. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, madmex said:

Ugly?!  WTF!  Madonna was not considered ugly in the 80's!  She's the ultimate sex symbol of the 80's.

And what about it?!  She was not consider pretty enough.  He was defending her. 

56 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

EFD3C38A-5BB9-4734-B1B5-46D4B2B47193.gif

1 hour ago, cardiganstarlet said:

I’ve only seen the performance via YouTube and it wasn’t the car crash I was expecting, having trawled through all the pages here... did they doctor it before uploading?

ultimately it’s a massive shame this didn’t work out to be great PR for her. And only plays into the shitty narrative of M’s alleged lack of talents, right before the LP drops.

Yes, they did doctor it. This is the original. 

So I watched the official video on VEVO and I really don’t understand the backlash she is getting.

LAP was a little flat but not worthy of all this hate! Future was amazing just like the song. My fiancé and I enjoyed it and we can’t wait for her tour. I’m enjoying the new intervention and for those people who want to see a heavily choreographed tour watch and enjoy another tour of Madonna. I love seeing all the sides of Madonna. Madonna is an artist and I love enjoying her art and creativity. 

Just now, mmmike said:

So I watched the official video on VEVO and I really don’t understand the backlash she is getting.

LAP was a little flat but not worthy of all this hate! Future was amazing just like the song. My fiancé and I enjoyed it and we can’t wait for her tour. I’m enjoying the new intervention and for those people who want to see a heavily choreographed tour watch and enjoy another tour of Madonna. I love seeing all the sides of Madonna. Madonna is an artist and I love enjoying her art and creativity. 

It wasn't just Madonna's vocals, which were only a little shaky in the beginning. The overall audio was very low. You couldn't hear the choir. There was no bass in the music. That's Mike Dean's fault.

1 hour ago, luizotaviobarros said:

Two random thoughts before I move on to stanning Dark Ballet hard next week:

1. Where’s the new PR firm in all of this? Maybe they’re doing damage control in the background? Or just playing dead?

2. Isn’t it funny how up until last week we were mostly counting on Europe for the kind of support she needed for this era (especially charts), and now I think it’s mostly the US that will have her back (especially since the Eurovision is not a thing over there). 

Posted earlier 

https://ew.com/music/2019/05/18/madonna-eurovision-performance-israeli-palestinian-flag/

A representative for Madonna provided EW with a photo of the performance (above) with a note that “a message of peace is not political.”

5 minutes ago, Ven Conmigo said:

Posted earlier 

https://ew.com/music/2019/05/18/madonna-eurovision-performance-israeli-palestinian-flag/

A representative for Madonna provided EW with a photo of the performance (above) with a note that “a message of peace is not political.”

EB438020-B0CD-4A1F-A937-84C102E480A5.gif

18 minutes ago, Ven Conmigo said:

Posted earlier 

Oh, ok. Sorry 😐