EUROVISION! The aftermath!

18 minutes ago, ursula said:

I disagree. I can finally watch and enjoy the vevo edit. I couldn't enjoy the live version. So I'm glad it was corrected. 

Me too! I know it’s wrong but it’s just far more enjoyable.........and it’s what she should’ve done in the first place. 

1 minute ago, luizotaviobarros said:

Mike Dean is the man behind this mess, isn’t he? 

I was wondering if it was Mike Dean. The trap beat with that crowed noise beat in Like A Prayer sounds like his work. 

6 minutes ago, Nick said:

Hear what you're saying but fans have legitimate criticisms as well.I know some people bitch non-stop though. lol

I can understand if people didn’t like the vocal or the arrangements of the tracks, but then to go and say everything is a disaster and she’s too old, out of shape, shouldn’t have bothered etc is what I’m talking about. 

5 minutes ago, luizotaviobarros said:

I’ve just watched an unfixed video and I got the impression that besides the karaoke-sounding arrangement, there was a mixing issue, too. It seems her voice either stood out too much or appeared drowned out. Did you guys feel the same way?

Wonder if she’ll pick him as musical director for the tour 😞

If it was really Mike Dean, she should flush him like a turd! Gurrl bye!

1 minute ago, luluthecat said:

I was wondering if it was Mike Dean. The trap beat with that crowed noise beat in Like A Prayer sounds like his work. 

the night before Eurovision he was on instagram posting a pic working on it.. and the commenters who are into music production all responded in a joking way with the software he used, which apparently is something for amateurs.. meanwhile he also kept on being high and smoking as he always does.. she doesn't need that guy.

Kim- when I hear vocoder, I think of Cher/"Believe" and songs of that nature, and some of M'. Am i missing something with the LAP vocals? Watching again and don't hear anything like that.

22 minutes ago, luizotaviobarros said:

I’ve just watched an unfixed video and I got the impression that besides the karaoke-sounding arrangement, there was a mixing issue, too. It seems her voice either stood out too much or appeared drowned out. Did you guys feel the same way?

Yes..  Her voice volume level was too high.. If fells like the audio was only from her mic channel..  (The band, and chorus almost none existent)  something like the MDNA Tour DVD audio mixing  😅

Love the new youtube version.

Madame X is a vocal concealer.

I love the whole performance but especially Dark Ballet and Future.

This is probably the only TV performance of Future that we are going to get so I'm happy that she did it.

The performance overall was Political and I love her for doing that, she took advantage of the Eurovision platform and shared her views, good on her for having the guts to do that!

9 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

Kim- when I hear vocoder, I think of Cher/"Believe" and songs of that nature, and some of M'. Am i missing something with the LAP vocals? Watching again and don't hear anything like that.

Do you know which songs, if any, get the streaming count for that Eurovision video?

"They are so naive... They think we are not aware of their crimes. We know. We are just not ready to act."

AMEN!

8 minutes ago, Nikki said:

the night before Eurovision he was on instagram posting a pic working on it.. and the commenters who are into music production all responded in a joking way with the software he used, which apparently is something for amateurs.. meanwhile he also kept on being high and smoking as he always does.. she doesn't need that guy.

No wonder we got what we got with this "team" involved.

3 minutes ago, humanracin said:

Love the new youtube version.

Madame X is a vocal concealer.

I love the whole performance but especially Dark Ballet and Future.

This is probably the only TV performance of Future that we are going to get so I'm happy that she did it.

The performance overall was Political and I love her for doing that, she took advantage of the Eurovision platform and shared her views, good on her for having the guts to do that!

Madame X is a BOSS

1 hour ago, FreeMySoul said:

This was a beautiful and powerful performance filled with so much symbolism 

I would have loved  more high energy dance number but she doesn't fill our cravings whenever we want

In good time children...

I LOVE. that she posted it on her youtube since eurovision refused. it's a big F you. Oh the shade. 😂:lol2:

22 minutes ago, luizotaviobarros said:

Yes all they did was bring up the mix/vocals from the performance so they are more easily heard. It’s the same vocals just elevated. Bravo performance. 

Watched it for the 1st time again since it was on live yesterday & now I can be more detached & thoughtful on my view:

yes there was an issue with the mixing/voice levels on LAP but it was the arrangement of the song which highlighted this issue as it was a total bore (imagine if she used the original album arrangement-the music would have helped to hide the voice issues because she was never out of the melody)

Dark Ballet spoken word was a masterpiece in theatre/pop performance- the video backdrop along with her words & dancers was genius.

Future was a perfect straight after D.B. & fitted HER theme! The song itself is a great little bop and was very anthemic on that Eurovision stage!

The fact that Future went up the charts in Germany really just shows the irony behind all of this mess! No article can take away Madonna’s glory! No comment, no hateful remark! Nothing! People will always know that Madonna is THE Queen no matter what!!! 

11 minutes ago, boy skeffington said:

Yes all they did was bring up the mix/vocals from the performance so they are more easily heard. It’s the same vocals just elevated. Bravo performance. 

They used Melodyne to pitch correct about half the notes in LAP. It’s kind of obvious, but I think everyone is so accustomed to the synthetic sound the software produces that no one bats an eyelid anymore. It probably would have been better to have just used the pitch correction tool to begin with.

Regardless of its authenticity and revisionism, the VEVO upload definitely allows the viewer to enjoy the performance in all its visual glory  without the distraction of a poor vocal. The stage direction is monumental. She’s an amazing entertainer and the performance is quintessential contemporary Madonna. 

I’ve only seen the performance via YouTube and it wasn’t the car crash I was expecting, having trawled through all the pages here... did they doctor it before uploading?

ultimately it’s a massive shame this didn’t work out to be great PR for her. And only plays into the shitty narrative of M’s alleged lack of talents, right before the LP drops.

Anybody here watched Hunger Games? I felt like I was watching the reaping ceremony while watching this Eurovision show. It's like, the presenters were well aware that they were BSing people, and that they were covering things up. Very strange feeling. Never got this vibe from any other music event.

35 minutes ago, HolidayGuy said:

I was being slightly facetious with the vocoder comment, but yes, too much pitch correction (aka autotune) can create a slight vocoder effect on the vocal. As the algorithm does its thing to smooth out the vox then it can create a slight electronic tinge to the vocals. Anything with an extended "eeee" being the most noticeable. I'm defo not going to do a comparison or anything like that but the before and after are clear as day on the various youtube vids.  Maybe you need to have an ear for it, I dunno.

Think the official sticky & sweet DVD track where you can almost audibly hear the "whirrr" of the program as it struggles to reign in those crox.

It's not a huge deal, plenty of artists do it, but obviously they knew there was an issue hence they fixed it.

Anyway I hope this overdone thread calms down by tomorrow.

1 hour ago, luizotaviobarros said:

I noticed a lot of the different acts' supporters were complaining about various sound mixes throughout.

That's the 'beauty' of a live music show

They would have set the levels for Madonna during rehearsal, it's not the first time her vocals haven't been well mixed with the music though.

Anyway yeah, they fixed it all up in post so I guess everyone's happy.

8 hours ago, john_andy said:

You might like the performance or not, which is okay, but if you pay attention to what's beneath the criticism, it's rather transparent that it has nothing to do with her singing abilities, but with the fact that some people just can't cope with her still being around. Madonna has not based her entire career on having amazing control over her voice: she's not what you can call a vocalist. She's much more than that. I could understand it if someone like, let's say, Celine Dion had a somewhat poor vocal performance, given that her great voice is basically what she has to offer (with all due respect to her amazing, amazing voice), I could understand the meltdown, the criticism, the fear. But we are talking about Madonna, who is a far superior performer and a totally different animal. Would anybody have said that Bob Dylan's career or David Bowie's career or John Lennon's career were over after a not-so-brilliant vocal delivery? Would anybody have limited their contributions to music to just a nice singing voice? That is blatantly trying to diminish her talents and downplay her impact on music and culture. 

Social media is, in a way, a celebration of simplistic thinking and reductivism (look it up). Do you imagine what would have happened had social media existed at the times of Frida Khalo or Picasso? "Damm, man, that dude can't get a damn nose straight. He can't get no eyes in the right place. My 6 year-old-boy can do better than that". Or... "And she thinks she can paint, she can't even get proportions right, man, no doubt she can't even fix her own eyebrows". What would they have said about Egon Schiele or Man Ray or Oscar Wilde or Virginia Woolf? Guess what? They would have torn them to shreds because they wouldn't have been able to understand them. Nor do they understand Madonna, simple as that. 

In the end, our generation is not ready for a woman like Madonna. Wait thirty or forty years and we'll see what happens then. They will celebrate her then. Meanwhile, they're too busy now complaining about the fact that —oh, surprise—, she's a human being and somehow imperfect. Her voice can fail, what a scandal! 

I think that if a provocateur can get people so polarized and so galvanized just for not being perfect, he or she might be doing something right. I'm certain Madonna is. 

Thank you for this. This is really well written.

2 hours ago, Nikki said:

it's nice how he's so supportive of her. you can tell he really cares. not her manager, or mike dean and the others who act like nothing happened.

Love Mirwais. :inlove:

58 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

Yes and he was probably high just like Quavo 🤢

This guy on the other hand needs to stay the fuck away. I don't think she will ever want to work with him again after last night.

Bum note or two, sloppy mixing aside, the whole concept and execution is just grand!

The costumes, the choreography, the visual effects, the stage a character unto itself, the pacing, the symbolism this really is magnificent.

The richness of her vision and message keep reminding me of her determination to embrace and reflect on the lived experience and humanity through performance art.

Really takes a few viewings to appreciate the sophistication and complexity of what she's doing.

Even more than the release of the 'Madame X' album, I'm waiting with baited breath to see and hear what's she's cooking up for her theater shows.

And will probably ball my eyes out that she's not returning to Australia with this tour.

1 hour ago, Katypatra said:

CCE525FA-C15F-4725-B376-5FD84F934F8C.jpeg

Would be great if other artists were supportive about Eurovision.

Madonna has collaborated with so many other artists, and they don't seem to publicly stick up for her.