Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

6 minutes ago, Mensch said:

I thought they cut to the light design to avoid showing that shot of the church upside down 

its to like the Super Bowl all over again (when they tried panning our and blurring the show of MIA’s middle finger but missed it) lmfao

Yes, possibly ... but I also thought it was upside down because it was reflecting what was above them? Not sure if that’s true or not. Couldn’t tell in the wide shot...

Guest Future feat Quavo
4 hours ago, ursula said:

In her defense, appearing live in front of 200 million people is a little more stressful that playing in front of a bunch of elitist a-holes.

She's performed live for 100M before I don't know if the event made a difference. Maybe it was a sound issue considering she was just off key

1 minute ago, ITG said:

But you don't need to prove it.

Simple truth is, Madonna has said she's not the greatest singer. She's not in denial of reality.

Like the banter on Blond Ambition tour where she says to 'Dick Tracy', "you can't sing?, neither can I and look how far I've come" :lmao:

But when relaxed and enjoying herself, she can sing beautifully.

I know that she can sing beautifully live and it would have been a great experience together with my friends and family to enjoy a decent version of Like a Prayer because it's the song everyone likes - even most Madonna haters. I love her voice and I wonder how she can sing like an opera singer sometimes - and sometimes shes not able to find simple first notes of her greatest hits she sang a hundred times. I guess that's one of the secrets of Madame X. 😅

3 minutes ago, peter said:

Yes, possibly ... but I also thought it was upside down because it was reflecting what was above them? Not sure if that’s true or not. Couldn’t tell in the wide shot...

And furthermore, @Mensch, I doubt the projections changed from rehearsal. The flags were pinned to costumes, so that was an “unapproved change” or whatever, but they must have known that image would be there before. Perhaps they knew they wanted to cut away because of it, but ...

After all this, I think it’s pretty clear M didn’t cave to pressure about her setlist. She obviously was planning to present this all along. Perhaps the rumors of a “political” performance were not off the mark, but it clearly didn’t stop her from doing just that.

I really hope she can upload the full performance onto her channel.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Unfortunately that performance will only hurt album sales.  

Unfortunately, nobody buys albums nowadays. What the number ones of today earn is misery to Madonna.

Guest eroticerotic

I thought it was great and ive only seen a very low quality video on line.

I think her like a prayer vocals were not good but, whatever no ones going to like everything anyone does, ever. I skipped right into Dark Ballet and Future and thought she was in her element there.

18 minutes ago, Ai Papi Si. said:

Gotta say I agree here and I usually don’t see eye to eye with Kurt lol

i think this is just gonna be a big divide across the pond and that’s that 

timberlake at the Super bowl 

maroon 5 at the super bowl

burpney at the VMAs

its happened to younger and more commercially vulnerable stars and they bounced back 

you guys need to take a moment and get some perspective. Instagram and twitter are unrepresentative and full of ppl with mental issues lol

Image result for hell freezing over gif

:lol: 

You're right though....I think your Super Bowl comparison pretty much nailed it.

It was so sad reading the previous thread and all the excitement leading up to the performance and then immediately after it just went to hell. Sounds like it was Super Bowl level hype across the pond and it just died in an instant.....with SB we got the pre-hype and the subsequent raves. It was like a little mini Madonnamania for about 4-5 days there. My phone blew up immediately after that performance with raves from friends/fam wanting to go to next M show with me. Just sucks it's the complete opposite with Eurovision. In the days leading up to today, I just figured at this point the whole vibe here would be far different than what it is tonight.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Unfortunately that performance will only hurt album sales.  

Well the album is number 13 on UK amazon best sellers now. Before it was in the 60s. So it did something good. 

Future

iTunes:
#7 Malta (NE)
#9 Greece (+2)
#12 France (+11)
#12 Spain (+8)
#13 Finland (+27)
#15 Sweden (+19)
#17 Germany (+47)
#20 Netherlands (+9)
#20 Norway (+36)
#20 Switzerland (+33)
#22 Italy (=)
#27 Poland (-6)
#29 Austria (+53)
#32 Luxembourg (NE)
#35 Denmark (+151)
#76 Belgium (+23)
#85 Russia (+150)
#130 Belarus (NE)
#134 Turkey (NE)

At least her performance on Eurovision increase her numbers on Europe

1 minute ago, Gabriel Ciccone said:

Future

iTunes:
#7 Malta (NE)
#9 Greece (+2)
#12 France (+11)
#12 Spain (+8)
#13 Finland (+27)
#15 Sweden (+19)
#17 Germany (+47)
#20 Netherlands (+9)
#20 Norway (+36)
#20 Switzerland (+33)
#22 Italy (=)
#27 Poland (-6)
#29 Austria (+53)
#32 Luxembourg (NE)
#35 Denmark (+151)
#76 Belgium (+23)
#85 Russia (+150)
#130 Belarus (NE)
#134 Turkey (NE)

At least her performance on Eurovision increase her numbers on Europe

That’s great to see! 😊 Thanks for sharing.

The thing is that she has to do everything perfectly in order not to be criticisized. She is a human being, sometimes she is brilliant and other times she is not. Many performers, like Bob Dylan, sing out of tune, but since they are men, nobody asks them to retire. 

I actually thought her vocals were fine on LAP! The actual performance was not too dynamic/potentially boring but it's weird to me that vocals are being singled out as the problem.

The Future performance was pretty much fire.

I wish that “missed opportunity” could be muted on this board. It’s the most overused phrase. 

Dark Ballet part is here ... swipe. Maximum theatre and completely out of left field. I hope the whole song is like this. That close up on the screens of veiled Madonna is amazing. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxoILF6lFv_/?igshid=tur7q02q1h6y

Guest eroticerotic
9 minutes ago, Fidel said:

The thing is that she has to do everything perfectly in order not to be criticisized. She is a human being, sometimes she is brilliant and other times she is not. Many performers, like Bob Dylan, sing out of tune, but since they are men, nobody asks them to retire. 

No offense but This narrative has got to stop. 

It has nothing to do with being a man and all to do with courting media.

Bob Dylan does not Ċare for media attention therefore doesn’t receive the same kind of exposure and therefore isn’t critiqued the same. he isn’t the same kind of artist Madonna is. 

I think fan hype and expectations being so high worked against her with this performance. We had seen the Met gala so LAP was old hat, and shaky at that. 

Now Future, with those video screens and the minimal choreography had me captivated... I'm here for more of this on the Madame X tour.

I feel it's not as bad as some were saying, and hope she puts it on her official YouTube. IMHO.

Edited by DesperatelySeekingJacky

14 minutes ago, Fidel said:

I mean c'mon, it's rare to get a good vocal performance from her live

Just now, rocknrolla said:

The thing is this just isn't true.  I hate when I hear people say this because as others have mentioned she sounds amazing live in person which is why her tours do so well, while her TV live performances can be hit or miss.  It's really doing her a disservice to suggest that she rarely sounds amazing when that is the norm and not the exception on tour.  Oh well, more tickets for fans in the know!

Like a Prayer

iTunes:
#37 Finland (NE)
#62 Spain (NE)
#68 Zimbabwe (-36)
#77 Norway (NE)
#90 Denmark (NE)
#91 Switzerland (+408)
#113 Sweden (NE)
#141 United Kingdom (+1133)
#149 New Zealand (NE)
#200 Netherlands (NE)
#221 France (NE)
#264 Germany (NE)
#289 Belgium (NE)
#317 Italy (+170)
#419 Russia (NE)
#1312 United States (NE)

23 minutes ago, DesperatelySeekingJacky said:

I think fan hype and expectations being so high worked against her with this performance.

Go to the Eurovision forums: It has nothing to do with her fans. No one liked her performance.
At the Met gala last year she was brilliant and at the Eurovision Song Contest she spoilt it completely.

Madame X had a very bad day and terrible advisers.

15 minutes ago, rocknrolla said:

12 minutes ago, rebelvvv said:

The thing is this just isn't true.  I hate when I hear people say this because as others have mentioned she sounds amazing live in person which is why her tours do so well, while her TV live performances can be hit or miss.  It's really doing her a disservice to suggest that she rarely sounds amazing when that is the norm and not the exception on tour.  Oh well, more tickets for fans in the know!

11 minutes ago, luizotaviobarros said:

Well I saw RH in Washington DC and I thought she was flawless. 

I’ve seen her live on each tour from DWT onward ... the only time I noticed any difficulty for her was actually on CT (an NYC date) for the lower register notes in the verses of Like It or Not. I think that’s a pretty darn great track record — and I love LION so much that I overlooked its live vocal imperfection. 

I saw her twice on RHT (DC and Philly) and she was amazing. ESPECIALLY on low key numbers like True Blue and La Vie en Rose, which were also the most poignant, moving, emotional, and touching moments of the night.

There are times when she’s ill, there are times when she is nervous, there are times when she just has an off night, like the rest of us. On the whole, she is a great vocalist and a spectacular performer.

3 minutes ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

Go to the Eurovision forums: It has nothing to do with her fans. No one liked her performance.
At the Met gala last year she was brilliant and at the Eurovision she spoilt it completely.

I guess some people don’t like being preached at.

2 hours ago, peter said:

Thanks, @Mario Lopez, for that FB link for the video. I was able to watch it, at least. There was no audio during what I assume was Dark Ballet, but it came back for Future. (So strange!) But I appreciate it!

I also was able to watch the LAP portion before that — from a French Eurovision Twitter account on the EW article. But I couldn’t make the video any larger and it cut off before Dark Ballet...

🙂 🙂 🙂

5 minutes ago, peter said:

I guess some people don’t like being preached at.

Madonna should have known that everyone in the audience knows the disputes in the Middle East. That's why they wanted to celebrate and enjoy a time without war and violence together - and without pictures of violence and gas masks.

1 minute ago, Bette Davis Dub said:

Madonna should have known that everyone in the audience knows the disputes in the Middle East. That's why they wanted to celebrate and enjoy a time without war and violence together - and without pictures of violence and gas masks.

The dancers do remove the gas masks, if I’m not mistaken...

And there are comments on that EW article stating that “I bet Madonna doesn’t even know/understand the conflict or how long it’s been going on...” So I guess maybe she doesn’t know her audience...? It must have been her first time in Israel... Maybe we should cut her some slack.

Yeah I think she’s had a lot of good vocal moments recently, on RHT I thought she sounded wonderful on True Blue for example and I think the whole arena loved it. 

However she missed the mark quite hugely here, not because the performance was all bad (it wasn’t) but because it’s the biggest European audience possible and now everyone’s going to think she’s just a bad singer. I’ve seen a depressing amount of negative feedback from those who are usually open to Madonna’s music. No backing vocalists and an arrangement that highlights the vocals? I feel embarrassed for her 😞 the dark tone overall didn’t help. I understand why that tone was chosen, to fit with the political angle of the performance, but I think she’d have been able to overcome some shaky vocals with a brighter performance of, say, Medellin and Music/Hung Up(or a brighter arrangement of LaP)