Madonna's CONTROVERSIAL & SHOW-STOPPING Eurovision performance

Love Madonna, but that performance was awful & boring...what a waste of an opportunity, should have performed Medellin or the Disco song & something fun like Music or Hung Up, not made such a dark performance for a show like this. 

3 minutes ago, bardo said:

i wonder if the political message is why she wanted to retain the rights to the performance? because if she knew in advance they were going to be upset and refuse to post it online or censor it in some way, she may have wanted to try to get the rights to post it herself. 

Yea there’s definitely something going on and Guy has to be in the middle of it, he is her manager and should be dealing with the contract issues. I wonder was he in on her little stunt, he must of been, right?

Just now, rebelheart said:

Love Madonna, but that performance was awful & boring...what a waste of an opportunity, should have performed Medellin or the Disco song & something fun like Music or Hung Up, not made such a dark performance for a show like this. 

Why do you call yourself "Rebel Heart"? 🤣🤣🤣 It wasn't her best performance, but I appreciate the message and the middle part with Dark Ballet lyrics hopefully. 

3 minutes ago, rebelheart said:

Dafuq i just read? 🙉

7 minutes ago, bardo said:

i wonder if the political message is why she wanted to retain the rights to the performance? because if she knew in advance they were going to be upset and refuse to post it online or censor it in some way, she may have wanted to try to get the rights to post it herself. 

Very good point, I was wondering that too!

Just now, boy skeffington said:

She looked glorious as well. Sexy and feminine and beautiful. No one can actually complain about her face so they must focus on pitch. 

Word xD

I understand that people are upset, cause of the 200 million viewers.... but her vocals in LAP, even if not astounding, weren't as bad as some performances from the past...

Just now, Kilt said:

Dafuq i just read? 🙉

He was saying that he didn't much care for the performance and would've preferred Music or Hung Up. :angel:

1 minute ago, headonfire said:

Eurovision statement:

Always the rebel. Always defiant. Always using her platform to promote peace. That's my Queen.

That statement is intended to drum up PR. They want the headlines. Why shouldn't they, it's good for their brand.

However, promoting peace should never equate outrage. Peace is not a political message. Anyone going full in on her about that message will look like a fool. 

1 minute ago, headonfire said:

Eurovision statement:

Always the rebel. Always defiant. Always using her platform to promote peace. That's my Queen.

As if she wouldn't make some kind of statement. That's why they were determined for her to sign that god damn contract!

Just now, boy skeffington said:

That statement is intended to drum up PR. They want the headlines. Why shouldn't they, it's good for their brand.

However, promoting peace should never equate outrage. Peace is not a political message. Anyone going full in on her about that message will look like a fool. 

Yes, I absolutely love that she  made centre stage her political position and used the performance to promote coexistance. This what M is all about, and why I love her so much.

8 minutes ago, rebelheart said:

So you think it was tone-deaf considering the event where it took place?

Because that is a legit criticism but that is just it she always tries to stand out and do something different and that is very important for a celebrity that is how you will be talked about.

4 minutes ago, rebelheart said:

I appreciate what she was trying to do but thought it could have been alot better done with other song choices. 

Future was the perfect song for her message.

5 minutes ago, rebelheart said:

I appreciate what she was trying to do but thought it could have been alot better done with other song choices. 

E for effort?  whatever 

With all due respect, I think we are overreacting here. That wasn't her most brilliant performance in terms of vocal delivery, but we all know by now how much of a nervous wreck she can be when performing at award shows and the like. Taking into account the arrangement and the fact that there were no back singers, I think it was okay. Not brilliant but not terrible either. We have come to a point when the general public is going to crucify her for anything she does, says, does not do or does not say. Regardless of her merits, she's going to be torn to pieces because, ultimately, some people just can't accept the fact that, at 60, she still has something to say and the ability to say it. 

In my opinion, the performance didn't really fit in with the Eurovision vibe, which is cheesy at best, light-hearted and rather festive. Her performance has been too political, too symbolic, too dark for most people to understand it, but when have people really understood her? She's always been too extreme and sexual and provocative and tongue-in-cheek for the general public to understand her, and that is exactly what sets her apart from the rest of performers nowadays. I think she belongs to a generation and a time when it was important to have a message, when artists were allowed and encouraged to be unconventional, eccentric, political and weird, and when not everything was taken at face value. That might not resonate with most young people's interests today, but I think it would be a mistake if we too were to judge her and assess what she does in such a shallow fashion. Instead of celebrating her courage for putting up a political show that, to me, has so many different, profound interpretations and subtleties, in a land that unfortunately has been struck by pain and suffering for so long, instead of admiring how brave she's been once more, we seem to be only concerned about whether the general public approves of her live singing capabilities or not. Why should we care? She was never meant to be the best singer ever: she's meant to be a kind of artist that can't be imitated. Who —among younger, current acts— would have been brave enough to put a show like that at a moment like this? Who would have taken the risk? Very few, I think. 

All in all, Eurovision has been great for promotion, in my opinion. The general public has heard of her again, they know she has a new album coming out later this year, and have been reminded of how much of a polarizing figure Madonna is. Those who hate her will always find reasons to hate her, because, in the end, what they actually hate is their own inability to come to terms with the fact that she is still in control of her career. Those who love her... Shouldn't we also find reasons to love her? Well, you know what? I do. 

Shaky voice or not, too somber a performance for a campy show or not, static or not, nobody —35 years into their careers in the music business— does what she does. It is our choice to look only at the surface or beyond. You choose... 

Love. 

5 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

All I'm gonna say is, I hope she does not do "Like A Prayer" on tour...………. but I know she will and it'll be the exact same performance. lol

you are very funny-lol

This clip is fire. It's beautifully staged. 

Madonna comment to EW via her reps - A representative for Madonna provided EW with a photo of the performance (above) with a note that “a message of peace is not political.”

article here - 

https://ew.com/music/2019/05/18/madonna-eurovision-performance-israeli-palestinian-flag/

2 minutes ago, john_andy said:

Those who hate her will always find reasons to hate her, because, in the end, what they actually hate is their own inability to come to terms with the fact that she is still in control of her career. Those who love her... Shouldn't we also find reasons to love her? Well, you know what? I do. 

This is the something we should keep reminding ourselves. Don't let the negativity get to you. It's been part of her career from day 1.

Let's just keep celebrating this remarkable woman that is so special to all of us. ❤️

Hmmh, I really don't know what to say. It just didn't work. It was dreadfully out of tune, weird and too dark. Certainly didn't fit Eurovision. I appreciate the message and intent, but it didn't work. Everybody in the party I was in pretty much hated it and even missed the message... 

3 minutes ago, john_andy said:

With all due respect, I think we are overreacting here. That wasn't her most brilliant performance in terms of vocal delivery, but we all know by now how much of a nervous wreck she can be when performing at award shows and the like. Taking into account the arrangement and the fact that there were no back singers, I think it was okay. Not brilliant but not terrible either. We have come to a point when the general public is going to crucify her for anything she does, says, does not do or does not say. Regardless of her merits, she's going to be torn to pieces because, ultimately, some people just can't accept the fact that, at 60, she still has something to say and the ability to say it. 

In my opinion, the performance didn't really fit in with the Eurovision vibe, which is cheesy at best, light-hearted and rather festive. Her performance has been too political, too symbolic, too dark for most people to understand it, but when have people really understood her? She's always been too extreme and sexual and provocative and tongue-in-cheek for the general public to understand her, and that is exactly what sets her apart from the rest of performers nowadays. I think she belongs to a generation and a time when it was important to have a message, when artists were allowed and encouraged to be unconventional, eccentric, political and weird, and when not everything was taken at face value. That might not resonate with most young people's interests today, but I think it would be a mistake if we too were to judge her and assess what she does in such a shallow fashion. Instead of celebrating her courage for putting up a political show that, to me, has so many different, profound interpretations and subtleties, in a land that unfortunately has been struck by pain and suffering for so long, instead of admiring how brave she's been once more, we seem to be only concerned about whether the general public approves of her live singing capabilities or not. Why should we care? She was never meant to be the best singer ever: she's meant to be a kind of artist that can't be imitated. Who —among younger, current acts— would have been brave enough to put a show like that at a moment like this? Who would have taken the risk? Very few, I think. 

All in all, Eurovision has been great for promotion, in my opinion. The general public has heard of her again, they know she has a new album coming out later this year, and have been reminded of how much of a polarizing figure Madonna is. Those who hate her will always find reasons to hate her, because, in the end, what they actually hate is their own inability to come to terms with the fact that she is still in control of her career. Those who love her... Shouldn't we also find reasons to love her? Well, you know what? I do. 

Shaky voice or not, too somber a performance for a campy show or not, static or not, nobody —35 years into their careers in the music business— does what she does. It is our choice to look only at the surface or beyond. You choose... 

Love. 

Very eloquently put. Agreed 100%!

Peoples focus need to be elsewhere and not on trivial things.

so:

she sounded off key during like a prayer, which is surprising, becasue she usually nails the song. It seems to me that she started getting nervous while she was singing ans he lost her own key.sad, because now everbody will be saying she has lost her voice etc...well, at least they won´t say madonna uses play back all the time

future: the song is ok, and I guess the message is what she wants to give us.I hope there are other typoe of songs.well, we knoe there will be.

the message. I don´t knoe if it was the place, eurovision, for a political thing, but she did what I was expecting, something ala forbideen love in 2006:I think I have talk about this with jesus and karbatal.good that they coudn´t censore it.

her shoes: dancing shoes again, well, no heels

Her look: great, fabulous.

the critics: if they criticise her singing, well, this time I get it. the political statement...no.

is this a good move for the album? I don´t know.

it´s weird. I´m getting sara montiel´s vibes from madonna.old sara montiel´s vibes.