Jump to content

Billboard Awards backstage interview


Recommended Posts

I love that she says she wants more top ten hits but then says “those were top hits?”  Paying dust to TUtBMY since 1992 LOL!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awe she’s so smart! I can listen to her all day!❤️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Shane said:

I love that she says she wants more top ten hits but then says “those were top hits?”  Paying dust to TUtBMY since 1992 LOL!

😂She needs to stop it. This Used To Be my Playground is one of her greats she best believe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved this little interview. You can see how passionate she is about this project. She's just ready to explode talking about it.

That comment about no love from Billboard says it ALL. And yes, she IS aware of what is going on. Saddens me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

I loved this little interview. You can see how passionate she is about this project. She's just ready to explode talking about it.

That comment about no love from Billboard says it ALL. And yes, she IS aware of what is going on. Saddens me.

Billboard LOVES her.  Woman of the year award and 2016 cover story,glowing pro Madonna articles, making everything just right for her epic hologram performance at their awards etc

 

They just print the charts they don't make them up

 

The album will do well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest CzarnaWisnia

In all fairness, if she thought a half-spanish song was going to chart very high on the US top 100, she's delusional. I think she just did what she felt like doing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Andra said:

We might get Rescue Me this tour finally!

Nothing turns me on more than an artist who is extremely involved with every single aspect of their career, and who can demonstrate their intelligence and honesty in a few minutes. Excellent interview. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

In all fairness, if she thought a half-spanish song was going to chart very high on the US top 100, she's delusional. I think she just did what she felt like doing.

Yup

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Icykiller said:

What a lovely interview. She cam give sooo much little tidbits when asked the right way.

Exactly. It takes INTELLIGENCE to take such an interesting info from her. I d like her to have an hour interview with this man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aries said:

so Dark Ballet is about Joan Of Arc....hmmm

This is one of the tracks I am most anticipating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Aries said:

so Dark Ballet is about Joan Of Arc....hmmm

And it totally makes sense the costume she was wearing for the performance at the MET!

maxresdefault.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

In all fairness, if she thought a half-spanish song was going to chart very high on the US top 100, she's delusional. I think she just did what she felt like doing.

Yeah but she's also released an EDM banger, dance-pop banger, house-pop banger, "power ballad", "trap"/dance hall track, and straight up pure pop songs over the past several years that have also been.....neglected on the charts. I think she was referencing recent singles in general as much as Medellin itself.

I suppose radio is more to blame than Billboard, but still. She really has run the gamut style wise with single choices in the past 10 yrs or so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And let’s be honest, a Spanglish song should appeal to TWO language-demographics. The Spanish-speaking population is growing. I was in Texas for a weekend last month — wanna know what I heard on the radio stations of the rental car?

Back to this wonderful interview ... Yes, love Keith Caulfield. I knew this was him last night when I first saw part of this interview. I’m even more excited now that she discussed Rescue Me (quoting it even!) and Dark Ballet. 

This is a longer version of what I originally posted last night — Billboard must have deleted the shorter one. ( @Voguerista, I mentioned noticing the same thing last night — the lion pin in her scarf! 😄 )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Samo said:

Billboard LOVES her.  Woman of the year award and 2016 cover story,glowing pro Madonna articles, making everything just right for her epic hologram performance at their awards etc

 

They just print the charts they don't make them up

 

The album will do well

No one here is saying Billboard outright hates her. Pay attention to what she's actually saying...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kurt420 said:

Yeah but she's also released an EDM banger, dance-pop banger, house-pop banger, "power ballad", "trap"/dance hall track, and straight up pure pop songs over the past several years that have also been.....neglected on the charts. I think she was referencing recent singles in general as much as Medellin itself.

I suppose radio is more to blame than Billboard, but still. She really has run the gamut style wise with single choices in the past 10 yrs or so. 

THIS.  At least someone gets it.

Of course most of us know how much Madonna has dominated the Billboard charts...but most of us are referencing the more recent years.

Let's not forget how Billboard as a publication has damn near propagandized some pop artists, particularly female, over the last decade or so vs. how they cover others, including M.
Or the constant changing of the rules (often right after, or before, M releases something).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

THIS.

Of course most of us know how much Madonna has dominated the Billboard charts...but most of us are referencing the more recent years.

Let's not forget how Billboard as a publication has damn near propagandized some pop artists, particularly female, over the last decade or so vs. how they cover others, including M.
Or the constant changing of the rules (often right after, or before, M releases something).
 

 

Absolutely! Def can't let Billboard off the hook completely. Those rule changes are awfully convenient.....waiting for one to happen out of the blue in about a month or so :lol:. Totally hear you on the propaganda as well.....it's become crystal clear who they do and don't get checks from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

In all fairness, if she thought a half-spanish song was going to chart very high on the US top 100, she's delusional. I think she just did what she felt like doing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I Rise audio is out. The medellin video and bbma performance is still there. Both songs on spotify and itunes. Stream. Buy. Tell your friends. More action. Keep the same energy you use in analysing things here as you keep in watching, buying and streaming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Radio is key to her top 10 success, its just not happening without it, Madonna is having a 'perfect storm' when it comes to singles chart success, mainly ageism (almost 61), radio play (ageism), older fanbase (want physical copy please), older fanbase (not THAT into downloading or streaming), a lack of emphasis by her team to build her as a digital and streaming artist (Guy O and no Warners/proper label) all general points but together create the 'perfect storm' blowing against our gal. I just don't think enough people often realise she has a new single out and by the time they do its too late. Also, Madonna has been a part of our global culture for so many years at such an incredible level that people become complacent about her and figure, oh its just Madonna, she's always there when I need a 'hit' of her (no pun intended) so there not necessarily sourcing or looking out for new material, then without the radio play, it just doesn't happen. Look how quickly she lifted on the iTunes sales charts last night just from sheer exposure of one performance. Proof is in the  pudding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, systemvalues said:

Yes

right and I foresee raising sales for "portrait of a lady" parfum. 😄

i-010762-portrait-of-a-lady-edp-100ml-1-

It’s not a cheap perfume. In Australia it retails for $500 for 100ml. Its actually very nice too although my favourite Frederic Malle perfume/cologne is Vetiver Extraordinaire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

Radio is key to her top 10 success, its just not happening without it, Madonna is having a 'perfect storm' when it comes to singles chart success, mainly ageism (almost 61), radio play (ageism), older fanbase (want physical copy please), older fanbase (not THAT into downloading or streaming), a lack of emphasis by her team to build her as a digital and streaming artist (Guy O and no Warners/proper label) all general points but together create the 'perfect storm' blowing against our gal. I just don't think enough people often realise she has a new single out and by the time they do its too late. Also, Madonna has been a part of our global culture for so many years at such an incredible level that people become complacent about her and figure, oh its just Madonna, she's always there when I need a 'hit' of her (no pun intended) so there not necessarily sourcing or looking out for new material, then without the radio play, it just doesn't happen. Look how quickly she lifted on the iTunes sales charts last night just from sheer exposure of one performance. Proof is in the  pudding.

Maybe Guy Oseary should do a hard payola. I think they will be clever to push hard some song (don't know its Medellin though, I have to hear Crave too) and try to make it a hit, even spend millions on it. Because then they will have much easier time selling the tour, make it in bigger venues and in the end: make huge profit off it. I think a huge song at this point would be a huge benefit for her career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Who Is That Girl? said:

Radio is key to her top 10 success, its just not happening without it, Madonna is having a 'perfect storm' when it comes to singles chart success, mainly ageism (almost 61), radio play (ageism), older fanbase (want physical copy please), older fanbase (not THAT into downloading or streaming), a lack of emphasis by her team to build her as a digital and streaming artist (Guy O and no Warners/proper label) all general points but together create the 'perfect storm' blowing against our gal. I just don't think enough people often realise she has a new single out and by the time they do its too late. Also, Madonna has been a part of our global culture for so many years at such an incredible level that people become complacent about her and figure, oh its just Madonna, she's always there when I need a 'hit' of her (no pun intended) so there not necessarily sourcing or looking out for new material, then without the radio play, it just doesn't happen. Look how quickly she lifted on the iTunes sales charts last night just from sheer exposure of one performance. Proof is in the  pudding.

I don't think we can blame Guy O or her team this time, they have done an amazing job so far this era. Agreed though that there is a bit of a "perfect storm" when it comes to Madonna snagging that much deserved hit. Definitely ageism at play in regards to radio completely shunning her......I can't even say "cold shoulder" this time because in the US at least, they've pretty much just totally iced her out (as far as new material goes). You bring up another good point too that hasn't been talked about too much.....the public does tend to take her for granted because she's always been around. If radio were playing her, it would be different because they would be exposed to her regardless and her songs would have a chance to grow on them......like the old days......like many songs that are hits now. Without it sort of "falling into their lap" though, I don't think as many will take the initiative themselves to give her new stuff a chance......"oh it's just Madonna, she's been around forever....what could she possibly have to offer now??" 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, elijah said:

Maybe Guy Oseary should do a hard payola. I think they will be clever to push hard some song (don't know its Medellin though, I have to hear Crave too) and try to make it a hit, even spend millions on it. Because then they will have much easier time selling the tour, make it in bigger venues and in the end: make huge profit off it. I think a huge song at this point would be a huge benefit for her career.

Idk exactly what you mean by "hard payola" and if that could differ from other recent "deals" but the bad thing about those little "deals" is that once they're over, radio drops her quicker than a ray of light. If they would continue to play her after the deal ends then that would be one thing. I hate radio so much.....I wish it would just DIE finally....HOW in this day and age is it still even remotely relevant?? They shouldn't have such power to make a hit as they used to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Kurt420 said:

Yeah but she's also released an EDM banger, dance-pop banger, house-pop banger, "power ballad", "trap"/dance hall track, and straight up pure pop songs over the past several years that have also been.....neglected on the charts. I think she was referencing recent singles in general as much as Medellin itself.

I suppose radio is more to blame than Billboard, but still. She really has run the gamut style wise with single choices in the past 10 yrs or so. 

As much as we have to put the blame on the radio: I believe the fault is as much with Madonna too. It has been said already BUT I ll say it again: she (or her team) has been terrible at picking singles since 2008. Prior to that, at the time of Confessions, she was also NOT played on the radio, but Hung Up was such a massive song that it managed to get to N7 against all odds... And from HC onwards it has been the constant trend: she has chosen the wrong songs as singles. It seems like with WB (when they cared) they managed to convince her to pick the obvious stand out tracks to present her work as best as they can, cause I feel that Madonna as the artist that has created the song, probably looses perspective whats the best among the bunch, probably feels strongly connected to a song which isn't the best one. In short: I think we would have looked at a different path had she released TBGO, Devil, I m Addicted (instead of GMAYL), BKiller, Love Spent, Devil Pray, Hold Tight and Joan Of Arc - and promoted them with great videos. Now imagine I m Addicted being performed on Superbowl the way she perform it on MDNA tour. That would have been a N1 hit WITHOUT a doubt in my mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She is on such top form - when she's happy and buzzing and pushing an era she comes across so well. I love the excitement she caused simply by quoting Rescue Me - I was genuinely surprised she remembered them! Very cute. Would love to see that song show up on tour but it's highly doubtful. I hope there are plenty more interviews lined up whilst she's in this frame of mind!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...