STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

2 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Sorry, but I find futile to look at those iTunes thingies. We know from past releses that they don't mean anything AT ALL. What's the point? 

True that it's not as important as 10 yrs ago but when you add it to the other pieces of the puzzle, it paints a picture on the reception of the song. We already know radio is going to be a no-go for most places so we have this and streaming. I actually think releasing the video next week is smart, between M and Maluma fans, that video WILL get views.....if it's as good as it looks, the GP will jump on board for that as well. Had they released it yesterday along with the song, that would've been like blowing the load all at once.....they're sort of staggering the releases....SMART! Also, if it hangs in itunes top 10 long enough and gets enough views, radio will HAVE to play it some.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

They must be waiting before sending it to radio. I'm not convinced of this strategy. You need to strike while the iron is hot with an older artist like Madge. 

Radio 2 updates it's playlist on Saturday so I expect to see it added then. The question is whether it goes A, B or C or maybe even record of the week (which I doubt as the track is just a wee bit polarising)

I agree Kim.

I understand they are building momentum and all that but I do think the video should of dropped straight away and yesterday's great first day numbers should of been Friday to make for a real good first week of sales/streams for the songs debut across the world.

That said, I am positive as it looks like we will definitely be getting that all important 2nd single before the album drops and we have a lot to look forward to including the massive exposure she's about to get from the Eurovision. 😍

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Love that this song is slowly growing as more realize how good it is!

i wonder if her team predicted this, given the strategy i think so.

6 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I agree Kim.

I understand they are building momentum and all that but I do think the video should of dropped straight away and yesterday's great first day numbers should of been Friday to make for a real good first week of sales/streams for the songs debut across the world.

That said, I am positive as it looks like we will definitely be getting that all important 2nd single before the album drops and we have a lot to look forward to including the massive exposure she's about to get from the Eurovision. 😍

Yes, I don't mind "buzz" singles as such but I think the very first track should always get that huge initial push as it sets the tone for the whole campaign. We'll see how it goes next week, but it's been a good start either way.

1 minute ago, Mensch said:

The first 5 songs are shitty country songs and the first TWO ARE THE SAME SONG. WTF HAS HAPPENED to music in USA?! Wtf

the US music market is a bullshit

7 minutes ago, Mensch said:

The first 5 songs are shitty country songs and the first TWO ARE THE SAME SONG. WTF HAS HAPPENED to music in USA?! Wtf

LOL.. had no idea they were country... M will hop over it within 24 hours of release.

7 hours ago, peter said:

Okay, I know I risk sounding like a curmudgeon, but ... really, I have tried with this streaming stuff. I have found listening on YouTube to be the simplest way to hear the song I want to hear (Medellín) immediately. Spotify is annoying — it made me listen to a Grace Jones song before Medellín, and then, after I created a playlist with Medellín and some other Madonna tracks, it added a bunch of other songs I don’t want to listen to. And there’s no way to skip them. It remembers where I am on the playlist if I leave it and come back. The official Madonna Medellín playlist is supposed to be all Madonna songs (starting with the new single, ending with BIM) — and Spotify is playing an HQ2 remix of a Toni Braxton song. 

I don’t mean any disrespect to Ms. Jones or Ms. Braxton, btw! But there is a new Madonna single out — that’s what I want to listen to.

I have been trying to listen through streaming so that I help her numbers somewhat (even though I know *all* of my plays won’t count — lol!) .... but really, my experience today makes me want to just listen to the iTunes download. If I wanted to be forced to listen to things I don’t want to hear, I’d turn on the radio...? 

Sorry for sounding spoiled. Rant over.

Yep. You have to pay if you want the freedom you seek from Spotify! Good news is that the first month is free. Then you can cancel!

5 hours ago, Samo said:

With ZERO radio play?  Nope

I don't get it, it's customary to at least set a radio add date and send the song, hell even Bonnie Raitt still does that but this no radio date/sending to radio thing is truly bizarre...

What?? Radio does have it. I don’t know what you’re talking about 

Just now, Kim said:

Yes, I don't mind "buzz" singles as such but I think the very first track should always get that huge initial push as it sets the tone for the whole campaign. We'll see how it goes next week, but it's been a good start either way.

I agree. 

Stepping back and analysing I think Malumas following globally especially on the Latin markets the build up would work but like you say for older artists that big initial week is important but with malumas involvment this strategy could be the golden ticket...

I agree it's been a brilliant start to the album campaign! Btw did you see the segment on Madonna on Lorraine this morning as a fellow Brit? If not they included her on the showbiz news played a clip of medilin with very positive enthusiasm. Great to see her back in the mainstream news for her music not what her face looks like! 

5 hours ago, ABB2015 said:

I realised it’s because I pay for a month subscription with Apple Music! There are no prices on my iTunes at all!! 

I want to buy it! 😭😭😭

I Pay for Apple Music and I still bought it!!! My turn to be confused!!!

4 hours ago, karbatal said:

^ oh yeah that famous Italian radio station. I had forgotten :lol:

It’s true. The person who gave us that info was right about the details including the Ai Ai Ai !

17 minutes ago, Mensch said:

The fact that Gaga got an Oscar for that god awful song where she sounds like a dying cat, shows how low US music industry has got. 

4 minutes ago, Confessit said:

I agree. 

Stepping back and analysing I think Malumas following globally especially on the Latin markets the build up would work but like you say for older artists that big initial week is important but with malumas involvment this strategy could be the golden ticket...

I agree it's been a brilliant start to the album campaign! Btw did you see the segment on Madonna on Lorraine this morning as a fellow Brit? If not they included her on the showbiz news played a clip of medilin with very positive enthusiasm. Great to see her back in the mainstream news for her music not what her face looks like! 

Yes I see the Latin market angle etc. But I mean we're talking simply waiting an extra 2 days to debut it instead of basically losing those sales and streams for the first full week debut. It's such a simple thing but oh well.

No I didn't see Lorraine (was she on 'holiday' again?) Good to hear it got a positive reaction though!