Suicide Bombers kill over 100 in Sri Lanka

Dreadful horrifying news. :manson::cries:   Evil cowards who have no respect for human lives and have caused horror, heart ache with these disgusting attacks.  

https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/dozens-dead-in-sri-lanka-church-hotel-blasts/news-story/e26f0f017533a6c22dd6706dcb526b3b

Explosions thought to be the work of suicide bombers have killed at least 137 people - including nine foreigners - at three churches and three hotels in Sri Lanka.

The toll in a string of blasts targeting hotels and churches in Sri Lanka today has risen to 137, including nine foreigners, a police official told AFP.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said at least 45 people had been killed in Colombo, where three hotels and a church were hit.

Another 67 were killed in an attack on a church in Negombo north of the capital, with another 25 dead at a church in the town of Batticaloa, in the east of the country

Daily News says more than 500 others have been taken to hospital with injuries caused by the blasts.

The explosions all occurred roughly at the same time, around 8.45am local time (1.15pm AEST), authorities said

Suicide bombers are believed to be behind the blasts. Inside St. Sebastian's Church, Columbo, Sri Lanka. Picture: Facebook

A security official official said at least the two of the church blasts were carried out by suicide bombers. One of the churches targeted was St Anthony’s in Colombo.

The other two were St Sebastian’s in Negombo, a Catholic majority town 30km from the capital, and Zion Church in Batticaloa, 250km east of the capital.

St. Sebastian’s posted pictures of destruction inside the church on its Facebook page, showing blood on pews and the floor, and requested help from the public.

The blasts were reported from at least two luxury hotels and a church in Colombo, and two other churches in Katana and in Negombo, north of Colombo.

13 minutes ago, elijah said:

Who r the attackers?

The attacks have not been vindicated. I guess they were Islamic extremists, because of the target and the modus operandi. Thing is that there have been some frictions between Buddhists and Muslims but normally Christians were not attacked. 

My cousin is on holiday there at moment and she says it's beyond horrific .

Why people have to die in the name of any religion is beyond my understanding.

My parents were both born in Sri Lanka. They fled to the UK during the civil war. That war ravaged the country but after it ended I really thought the people there might finally be able to recover and live without the daily fear of violence and death....

My heart breaks for them

21 hours ago, Butter9 said:

My cousin is on holiday there at moment and she says it's beyond horrific .

Why people have to die in the name of any religion is beyond my understanding.

Ditto. It's just awful. I pray she gets home safely. 

🙏 Thank you .

58 minutes ago, Voguerista said:

Ditto. It's just awful. I pray she gets home safely.