Madame X: Album Discussion

3 minutes ago, elijah said:

I don't like the fact its a featuring again. But if its a great song I wont mind. Who the fuck is Swae Lee? OMG, he is an ACTUAL SINGER, not rapper!!!! OMG. I m living for it! Crave MUST BE GREAT.

Love this:

Cool

2 hours ago, elijah said:

I don't like the fact its a featuring again. But if its a great song I wont mind. Who the fuck is Swae Lee? OMG, he is an ACTUAL SINGER, not rapper!!!! OMG. I m living for it! Crave MUST BE GREAT.

Love this:

I mean he does rap as well hehe

Just now, Cesky said:

I mean he does rap as well hehe

For fuck sakes NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Well I hope he SINGS.

9 hours ago, peter said:

Worth sharing here, too, because she talks about writing Medellín and the process of creating the album.

God I love when she speaks about her work........... :inlove:

So we still know very little about the album. However, based on her interview with Billboard, it appears that Madame X will not be a concept album (she claims not to know that that means lol). So maybe each song does not correspond to one of Madame X’s personas after all. That was a fun theory while it lasted.

10 hours ago, M_Sinner said:

What does Fuana (bonus track) mean? Thanks

It's an up-tempo accordion based dance music originating from Cabo Verde

It's so impressive how  good her team manage this release!

Everything is on point this time. I love this era. 

She is  the goddess. 

49 minutes ago, flexy said:

It's an up-tempo accordion based dance music originating from Cabo Verde

Thanks flexy, I read about it here, I thought Fuana with no N is something else, so it's misspelled in the news lol

5 minutes ago, M_Sinner said:

Thanks flexy, I read about it here, I thought Fuana with no N is something else, so it's misspelled in the news lol

You're welcome.🙂

5 hours ago, Shane said:

So we still know very little about the album. However, based on her interview with Billboard, it appears that Madame X will not be a concept album (she claims not to know that that means lol). So maybe each song does not correspond to one of Madame X’s personas after all. That was a fun theory while it lasted.

Yeah, I think you are right.

All the filmed footage is still puzzling me. Maybe it is part of something bigger, in the same vein as Secret Project? 

6 hours ago, Shane said:

I wish that she had dropped the back story of Madame X as a spy and just went with her being an extension of herself in different characters. The eye patch and the spy story is all a bit gimmicky for my liking. I love the different characters with different looks (a bit like Tori Amos) but I wish she had reigned it in a little bit. I love the "I Rise" look of the dancer, it's pure Madonna. The brunette cha cha dancer/bondage woman with an awful slap head wig turned blonde bride (which looked great) just did not gel for me. The latter look throughout the video would have been better. The dominatrix would have been a great separate character with a better wig.

10 hours ago, Shane said:

That was a fan assumption. Now it’s clear it was just a introduction to the album and Medellín. 

Inside Madonna's Ambitious 'Madame X' Album Campaign: Augmented Reality, Multiple Singles, Tour Prep and TikTok

Less than an hour after she delivered one of the most imaginative awards show performances in a career full of them, Madonna stood backstage in an eye patch at the Billboard Music Awards, explaining how the seeds of her forthcoming album, Madame X, were planted more than three decades ago.

“[Madame X] was a name given to me when I was 19 and I first moved to New York, by a woman who I looked up to and admired,” Madonna told Billboard's Senior Director of Charts Keith Caulfield. The woman she was referring to was modern dance genius Martha Graham, who influenced Madonna’s choreography as a mentor, prior to her death in 1991. “And she gave me that name because she said she couldn’t recognize all my different personas, because I kept changing the way I looked.

“And that was in the beginning of my career, when I didn’t think about who I should be or what I should be -- I was experimenting,” Madonna continued. “And so I felt like I had come full circle, and gave the record that name, because I’m in the same frame of mind.”

If the title of Madame X, Madonna’s fourteenth studio album due out June 14, reflects the complex, multifaceted nature of her pop aesthetic, so will the way in which the full-length is unfurled. There’s already been “Medellín,” the mid-tempo, multi-lingual Latin pop confection alongside Colombian heartthrob Maluma released last month, as well as its opulent, cinematic music video for the track, which clocks in at nearly seven minutes.

Then there was the pair’s Billboard Music Awards showcase of the song, which combined live dancers and light BDSM play with augmented reality technology, which allowed multiple avatars of Madonna to seemingly grace the stage on the ceremony’s telecast. Madonna says that she came up with the concept for the eye-popping set piece “many, many months ago,” and required weeks of rehearsals to properly configure her AR personas for the green screen.

Yet as ambitious as the visual presentations of “Medellín” have been, the song represents just the first piece of the multi-track pre-album rollout that Madonna has planned over the next six weeks. The Maluma collaboration has already been followed by “I Rise,” the theatrical solo song that closes out the Madame X track list and was unveiled on Friday (May 3). The inspirational track features a sample of speech made by Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School school shooting survivor Emma González

Next up is “Crave,” the combustible team-up with Swae Lee, on May 10; the Rae Sremmurd rapper is currently riding a hot streak as a featured artist thanks to his appearance on French Montana’s “Unforgettable,” Travis Scott’s “Sicko Mode” and Ellie Goulding and Diplo's “Close to Me.” After “Crave” comes “Future,” a Quavo collaboration that was also produced by Diplo, on May 17, and finally June 7 will bring “Dark Ballet,” one of the more multi-dimensional songs on the new album, according to President of Maverick Music Greg Thompson.

“[The album] is a journey, and there are a lot of chapters,” Thompson explains of the decision to slowly trickle out five tracks ahead of the release, a deviation from Madonna’s previous rollouts. Her last album, 2015’s Rebel Heart, suffered leaks months ahead of release, resulting in six songs being rushed out early for an iTunes pre-order. “In a world where we’re more song-driven than we’ve been in a long time as an industry, it became a real question and a challenge: How do we make sure that people really understand this album by the time it comes out, but still have songs that can be hit singles in certain areas?”

To that end, “Crave” with Swae Lee will become the de facto pop radio single upon its release, with an official music video to soon follow. Meanwhile, “Medellín” -- which received a global television launch across Viacom networks in April -- will continue being pushed in Latin markets. The decision to lead with “Medellín” instead of “Crave” came down to the belief that it was “the signature track to the body of work, and the right place to start telling the story,” says Thompson. He adds, “I think we have a good shot to get a top five club record with some [‘Medellín’] remixes, and get that song into people’s spaces that they might not anticipate.” (Madonna has notched a record 57 top five-charting hits on Billboard’s Dance Club Songs chart.)

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8509948/madonna-madame-x-album-campaign-rollout

9 minutes ago, vertigokane said:

Inside Madonna's Ambitious 'Madame X' Album Campaign: Augmented Reality, Multiple Singles, Tour Prep and TikTok

Less than an hour after she delivered one of the most imaginative awards show performances in a career full of them, Madonna stood backstage in an eye patch at the Billboard Music Awards, explaining how the seeds of her forthcoming album, Madame X, were planted more than three decades ago.

“[Madame X] was a name given to me when I was 19 and I first moved to New York, by a woman who I looked up to and admired,” Madonna told Billboard's Senior Director of Charts Keith Caulfield. The woman she was referring to was modern dance genius Martha Graham, who influenced Madonna’s choreography as a mentor, prior to her death in 1991. “And she gave me that name because she said she couldn’t recognize all my different personas, because I kept changing the way I looked.

“And that was in the beginning of my career, when I didn’t think about who I should be or what I should be -- I was experimenting,” Madonna continued. “And so I felt like I had come full circle, and gave the record that name, because I’m in the same frame of mind.”

If the title of Madame X, Madonna’s fourteenth studio album due out June 14, reflects the complex, multifaceted nature of her pop aesthetic, so will the way in which the full-length is unfurled. There’s already been “Medellín,” the mid-tempo, multi-lingual Latin pop confection alongside Colombian heartthrob Maluma released last month, as well as its opulent, cinematic music video for the track, which clocks in at nearly seven minutes.

Then there was the pair’s Billboard Music Awards showcase of the song, which combined live dancers and light BDSM play with augmented reality technology, which allowed multiple avatars of Madonna to seemingly grace the stage on the ceremony’s telecast. Madonna says that she came up with the concept for the eye-popping set piece “many, many months ago,” and required weeks of rehearsals to properly configure her AR personas for the green screen.

Yet as ambitious as the visual presentations of “Medellín” have been, the song represents just the first piece of the multi-track pre-album rollout that Madonna has planned over the next six weeks. The Maluma collaboration has already been followed by “I Rise,” the theatrical solo song that closes out the Madame X track list and was unveiled on Friday (May 3). The inspirational track features a sample of speech made by Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School school shooting survivor Emma González

Next up is “Crave,” the combustible team-up with Swae Lee, on May 10; the Rae Sremmurd rapper is currently riding a hot streak as a featured artist thanks to his appearance on French Montana’s “Unforgettable,” Travis Scott’s “Sicko Mode” and Ellie Goulding and Diplo's “Close to Me.” After “Crave” comes “Future,” a Quavo collaboration that was also produced by Diplo, on May 17, and finally June 7 will bring “Dark Ballet,” one of the more multi-dimensional songs on the new album, according to President of Maverick Music Greg Thompson.

“[The album] is a journey, and there are a lot of chapters,” Thompson explains of the decision to slowly trickle out five tracks ahead of the release, a deviation from Madonna’s previous rollouts. Her last album, 2015’s Rebel Heart, suffered leaks months ahead of release, resulting in six songs being rushed out early for an iTunes pre-order. “In a world where we’re more song-driven than we’ve been in a long time as an industry, it became a real question and a challenge: How do we make sure that people really understand this album by the time it comes out, but still have songs that can be hit singles in certain areas?”

To that end, “Crave” with Swae Lee will become the de facto pop radio single upon its release, with an official music video to soon follow. Meanwhile, “Medellín” -- which received a global television launch across Viacom networks in April -- will continue being pushed in Latin markets. The decision to lead with “Medellín” instead of “Crave” came down to the belief that it was “the signature track to the body of work, and the right place to start telling the story,” says Thompson. He adds, “I think we have a good shot to get a top five club record with some [‘Medellín’] remixes, and get that song into people’s spaces that they might not anticipate.” (Madonna has notched a record 57 top five-charting hits on Billboard’s Dance Club Songs chart.)

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/8509948/madonna-madame-x-album-campaign-rollout

So where are the remixes? 

8 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

So where are the remixes? 

I know! Wtf!!! I want them now..keep the hype going. Right now would be perfect. With two songs gaining some traction. The live performance is at #11 in YouTube trending so that’s not bad at all

38 minutes ago, Flip The Switch said:

How do we make sure that people really understand this album by the time it comes out, but still have songs that can be hit singles in certain areas?”

In other words, they know how hard it is to get a global smash, so they’ll try a more local approach. 

Makes sense in theory, but Latin America didn’t embrace Madellin (which I now love to death) as warmly as I’d thought. So even if they target Crave at Europe mostly, chances are it will cross over if it has mass appeal. So in the end maybe the whole thing is far more organic and unpredictable than we think?

Exciting times

5 minutes ago, gugarko said:

Does it mean Crave will have a US radio add?? 

Hopefully. I’d rather have streaming success, which really can’t be “bought” like a radio push could. It’s almost pointless for a song to chart in a nonorganic way if the song immediately drops off the chart after the push ends, because it doesn’t make a cultural impact. One thing that this era is revealing is how truly ageist the pop music “system” really is—I feel like we’re regressing in our approach to age.