Madame X Cover Art Discussion

1 hour ago, Ugly Hecty said:

Like how they're using both covers.

I don’t know how I’m feeling about any of the covers after seeing all the stunning video content. The guitar image is definitely the best. I’m mostly left confused by the standard Wallis Simpson cover with the random placement of “Madonna” in a very “now” ironic ugly/trendy Times Roman font. I think I’d like them more if I knew the reasons behind them. Do we know who created them?

9 minutes ago, luluthecat said:

I don’t know how I’m feeling about any of the covers after seeing all the stunning video content. The guitar image is definitely the best. I’m mostly left confused by the standard Wallis Simpson cover with the random placement of “Madonna” in a very “now” ironic ugly/trendy Times Roman font. I think I’d like them more if I knew the reasons behind them. Do we know who created them?

It’s not a random placement. It’s to resemble Frida Kahlo’s unibrow. And the whole vibe of her self portrait paintings. 

.....but has she said that? It would certainly make me like it more. But then I wouldn’t get why she’s posing as Wallis Simpson. Hopefully she’ll talk about the visuals in next week! I’m certainly not complaining!! I’m so happy to have M “dressing-up” again!!! 😺

I love all pictures they used but I have a problem with the design, cropping and font choices. 

Standard cover with a brunette Madonna and intense stare is stunning but...yeah, Times New Roman is a no. 

I don’t like her lips on the Les Miserable cover version but that’s just me nitpicking and being picky about random stuff.

The guitar cover is nice but not as iconic as the other too. 

Tbh I think most of her album covers are stronger than these 3. 

49 minutes ago, Plaything said:

I love all pictures they used but I have a problem with the design, cropping and font choices. 

Standard cover with a brunette Madonna and intense stare is stunning but...yeah, Times New Roman is a no. 

I don’t like her lips on the Les Miserable cover version but that’s just me nitpicking and being picky about random stuff.

Disagree this is the best album cover since Ray of Light- both the face portraits are visually striking and give goosebumps which is what makes a picture iconic.

Dont care much for the guitar cover.

MDNA-Hard Candy-RH were good but not iconic album covers. They were more pop art rather than intellectual artistic concepts.

55 minutes ago, Plaything said:

As a creative director who works with global and national brands that connect with youth culture, i can tell you that everything she's doing is aligned with (and even elevating) what's new and relevant in graphic design. she's making no mistakes here.

I actually love all three, although I find myself a bit bothered by the MADONNA font/placement on the standard cover. I know it’s been placed there intentionally and strategically, but it needs to grow on me. From afar, the resemblance to Frida is uncanny and the placement does the trick of creating the unibrow effect.

I’d love to hear Madonna’s artistic intentions behind all three covers, although she rarely speaks about her album art in such terms. So we might never know for sure...just like the wires on Rebel Heart. We may be discussing their meanings for decades to come! And I suppose that’s what art is all about.

5 minutes ago, mtsanis said:

As a creative director who works with global and national brands that connect with youth culture, i can tell you that everything she's doing is aligned with (and even elevating) what's new and relevant in graphic design. she's making no mistakes here.

yes graphic designer here as well and fully agree. the only one that's actually a little "old fashioned" and not anything new is the third cover with the guitar, maybe even the Medellin single cover. but the two main covers are strong. (I prefer the blonde one though, from a creative standpoint, it's perfect)

@Nikki and @mtsanis, what do you two make of the typography and placement of her name on the standard cover? Do you both like this and does this align with the modern graphic design elements you mentioned? I’m very curious.

Just now, Shaun said:

@Nikki and @mtsanis, what do you two make of the typography and placement of her name on the standard cover? Do you both like this and does this align with the modern graphic design elements you mentioned? I’m very curious.

i actually prefer the type on the standard cover tbh, but that's subjective. and i agree with Nikki that the guitar one is the most basic. (but i'll happily take it)

The vinyl Art and Standard CD is amazing.

It’s perfect the way it is, love the placement of both her name on the brow and the stitches on the lips.

I feel sorry for fans who feel they need to change the artists vision all the time and are obsessed with changing fonts.

8 minutes ago, Shaun said:

a little mistake is the fake closing of the mouth in the standard cover. they should've gone all the way or try something else.. but the font placing is great.

I love both covers.

I see more art and personal reference in the dark hair one, so it resonates with me more.

I like the beauty of the blond one, but not feeling any reference to anything, and that is not a bad, that's an exciting part for me to discover!

Fonts.....I don't give a....

3 minutes ago, humanracin said:

.I feel sorry for fans who feel they need to change the artists vision all the time and are obsessed with changing fonts.

This!

It's about discovery and interpretation of art. Changing the art changes the purpose and meaning. It's ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, Nikki said:

a little mistake is the fake closing of the mouth in the standard cover. they should've gone all the way or try something else.. but the font placing is great.

haha yes, it's a little wonky : )

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

To clarify, I’m not interested in changing the art. I’m just curious about the meaning/reasoning behind it.

Art is subjective. It's all about your own interpretation or feeling you get from it.

Aside from Kahlo and possibly her mother references, I'm sure there's more to it.

The other (Blond) I have no idea, but honestly I haven't really put much thought in to it. But I think discovering is the exciting part.

i am not sure about the covers...the standard cover is the most interesting but still meh...the blonde one is too RH for me--not innovating or creative  --i love her face but its photoshopped to hell and she did that on the previous 2 albums. the 3rd one shes giving Instagram eyes and it doesn't work. 

she looks great here...different background maybe different instrument but you see more of her and in a flattering way.

image.png

i actually like the standard album cover.

as soon as i saw the picture, i though oh wow a nod to frida. 

I love the deluxe cover. totally got les mis vibes from it as well. 

this was my first time seeing the turquoise cover. i like it too. 

Guest eroticerotic
14 hours ago, Shaun said:

The previous thread was closed amidst the excitement of the Medellín premiere. Let's continue our discussion of the stunning album art Madonna is serving us for Madame X. What do you think? Which cover do you prefer? Is the deluxe a nod to Rosie the Riveter? Is it a Baroque-style masterpiece? Is the standard cover Madonna's tribute to Frida Kahlo, with her name strategically placed between the brows? And who else is in love with the third cover, with its mysterious turquoise overtone?

Discuss! How does the Madame X art stack up to her previous album visuals?

Madame X - Deluxe.jpg

Madame X - Standard.jpg

Madame X - Super Deluxe.jpg

For me these pictures are her best; the aesthetic is exactly what I like (clean minimal jarring genuine fresh unintentionally sexy stylish and striking) and how I’ve always “seen”  her

Also theres an inexplicable newness to them, and at the same time they seem like historical pictures. Not sure if that make sense. 

The effort makes everything pale in comparison right now in my opinion. 

Waayyyyy better than hard candy mdna and rebel heart album and singles artwork!

14 hours ago, Shaun said:

The previous thread was closed amidst the excitement of the Medellín premiere. Let's continue our discussion of the stunning album art Madonna is serving us for Madame X. What do you think? Which cover do you prefer? Is the deluxe a nod to Rosie the Riveter? Is it a Baroque-style masterpiece? Is the standard cover Madonna's tribute to Frida Kahlo, with her name strategically placed between the brows? And who else is in love with the third cover, with its mysterious turquoise overtone?

Discuss! How does the Madame X art stack up to her previous album visuals?

Madame X - Deluxe.jpg

Madame X - Standard.jpg

Madame X - Super Deluxe.jpg

Fantastic album covers all very different from each other.

I actually loooove the third one. Hard Candy meets Madame X.