Mirwais talks about Madame X

It’s crazy when you think about this album finally coming out 20 years after his last solo album (although we got the excellent YAS album, but still...)! I have high hopes for insane production, new ideas and futuristic sounds. I hope it’s not too pretentious...we will see

I want them to continue working together. I feel the results for Madame X were sort of mixed. But I suspect that had more to do with the direction Madonna wanted to go in. Extreme Occident is the masterpiece of this particular collaboration.

3 hours ago, Plaything said:

It’s crazy when you think about this album finally coming out 20 years after his last solo album (although we got the excellent YAS album, but still...)! I have high hopes for insane production, new ideas and futuristic sounds. I hope it’s not too pretentious...we will see

I'd be OK with pretentious! Music today is so fucking cookie cutter.

1 hour ago, erotica blu said:

I want them to continue working together. I feel the results for Madame X were sort of mixed. But I suspect that had more to do with the direction Madonna wanted to go in. Extreme Occident is the masterpiece of this particular collaboration.

Not for me: God Control, Medellín, Ciao Bella, Extreme Occident, Killers Who Are Partying, Batuka...all wonderfully done in my book. 

You could be right about M involvement though. Just about the same with tour films and music videos. 

20 hours ago, rebelheart said:

Same, I want Mirwais back for next album if she decides to work with past collaborators again. 

YES! They make magic together! Madame X is her best album EVER! (Besides Erotica maybe)

33 minutes ago, Master Dita said:

YES! They make magic together! Madame X is her best album EVER! (Besides Erotica maybe)

Erotica has never been unseated from its top position.

2 hours ago, madgefan said:

Madonna should go back to work with Martin Solveig.

Kiddin:crazy:

Were MDNA properly mixed and mastered to higher standards than sounding on par with a stream there might be an argument for his return.

On 3/6/2020 at 2:23 AM, acko said:

I always wanted MIRWAIS + JOE HENRY,

what Portugal is 2 Madame X, AMERICANA would be 2 that project :fag:

This! Been waiting for this since Music. 

On 3/6/2020 at 12:58 AM, Flip The Switch said:

Not for me: God Control, Medellín, Ciao Bella, Extreme Occident, Killers Who Are Partying, Batuka...all wonderfully done in my book. 

You could be right about M involvement though. Just about the same with tour films and music videos. 

Agreed. I mean it’s no coincidence that the Mirwais-produced tracks fill the first half of Madame X..because they set the tone, are sonically interesting and are different to anything that’s out there. I wish he had co-produced the entire album. At the same time I can’t with some of the production choices. Dark Ballet needed more time to breathe and would have worked better as a 6 minutes epic. The vocals effects on Batuka will never not be annoying..which is a real shame because otherwise it’s a great song. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 7:47 PM, Plaything said:

Dark Ballet needed more time to breathe and would have worked better as a 6 minutes epic. The vocals effects on Batuka will never not be annoying..which is a real shame because otherwise it’s a great song. 

+1

On 3/6/2020 at 9:40 PM, madgefan said:

Madonna should go back to work with Martin Solveig.

Kiddin:crazy:

MDNA has it moments but most of them are the Orbit moments.  

On 3/9/2020 at 10:47 AM, Plaything said:

Agreed. I mean it’s no coincidence that the Mirwais-produced tracks fill the first half of Madame X..because they set the tone, are sonically interesting and are different to anything that’s out there. I wish he had co-produced the entire album. At the same time I can’t with some of the production choices. Dark Ballet needed more time to breathe and would have worked better as a 6 minutes epic. The vocals effects on Batuka will never not be annoying..which is a real shame because otherwise it’s a great song. 

For DB, after the Tchaikovsky breakdown, i expected the song to pick up in a way similar to the Nobody Knows Me instrumental outro part, but with more punch and drama.

7 hours ago, Kilt said:

For DB, after the Tchaikovsky breakdown, i expected the song to pick up in a way similar to the Nobody Knows Me instrumental outro part, but with more punch and drama.

Oh, I can see what you mean there. I was hoping for another “movement” after the ballet, too, rather than a conclusion/coda (which is just a brief return to the refrain and a fade-out). I guess I kind of hoped maybe the tour version would maybe expand on it a little bit, too. It is still beautiful in its own way, though. I think, on some level, that track is not supposed to be fully satisfying in and of itself. It interrupts itself and ends abruptly— but that’s just the form following the message of the song maybe? With Joan of Arc as a template — her life was disrupted and cut short. I think there’s a certain respectable quality to the track reflecting those sad facts. Doesn’t mean that our ears aren’t left wanting more, though!

Rertofuture...Futurenostalgia...well...me I’m really looking for something in music...like  he was once able to surprise me so much with (their) music...and not only...

i really enjoyed this and entire album

On 4/6/2020 at 8:57 PM, peter said:

Oh, I can see what you mean there. I was hoping for another “movement” after the ballet, too, rather than a conclusion/coda (which is just a brief return to the refrain and a fade-out). I guess I kind of hoped maybe the tour version would maybe expand on it a little bit, too. It is still beautiful in its own way, though. I think, on some level, that track is not supposed to be fully satisfying in and of itself. It interrupts itself and ends abruptly— but that’s just the form following the message of the song maybe? With Joan of Arc as a template — her life was disrupted and cut short. I think there’s a certain respectable quality to the track reflecting those sad facts. Doesn’t mean that our ears aren’t left wanting more, though!

Yes! DB is still in my top 5 from MX but I totally agree always felt DB was about a minute or two too short. Needs to be one more "movement" but still love it nonetheless.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:44 PM, justinian said:

Rertofuture...Futurenostalgia...well...me I’m really looking for something in music...like  he was once able to surprise me so much with (their) music...and not only...

i really enjoyed this and entire album

She could've squeezed in the Mirwais produced version of Keep The Trance on COADF between Future Lovers and ILNY. What a wasted opportunity 😞

On 3/7/2020 at 2:35 AM, erotica blu said:

Were MDNA properly mixed and mastered to higher standards than sounding on par with a stream there might be an argument for his return.

Agreed. Also, if MDNA would have been produced entirely by Martin alone, I think it would have been her most uplifting, upbeat, cheerful, summer album ever!! I don’t care what anyone says, Give Me All Your Luvin and Turn Up The Radio are extremely catchy and fun. Beautiful Killer is everybody’s favorite. This lighthearted Solveig sound throughout the whole album would have been a dream come true! Unfortunately, as much as I loved Orbit’s songs, and I’m Addicted, the album ended up having no direction. It was all over the place. Gang Bang, Masterpiece, I Don’t Give A, Falling Free.... all sound like songs from completely different albums, like wtf? 

Edited by Katypatra

4 hours ago, rocknrolla said:

I think Mirwais's production on Madame X was so much more varied on Madame X vs American Life. 

he has grown quite a lot from al

On 3/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, acko said:

I always wanted MIRWAIS + JOE HENRY,

what Portugal is 2 Madame X, AMERICANA would be 2 that project :fag:

I really like this idea, especially after watching that clip of her singing with her acoustic guitar on Insta. Great idea. 

2 hours ago, elijah said:

He really has and he had so much to offer then to begin with! Honestly, I would LOVE for her to continue working with him on the next album. But not sure how she feels about him after this Casey Spooner debacle. I wonder if she blames him for bungling things up. 

On 4/13/2020 at 8:32 AM, strictmachine said:

He really has and he had so much to offer then to begin with! Honestly, I would LOVE for her to continue working with him on the next album. But not sure how she feels about him after this Casey Spooner debacle. I wonder if she blames him for bungling things up. 

I highly doubt she cares at all about that.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Mirwais gave Madonna a "sound". Everything they've produced together has sounded effortlessly cool, and she should keep him around for the long haul from here on out as Executive Producer while still exploring other genres and songwriters.

On 4/13/2020 at 7:35 AM, elijah said:

I always forget about music, I always associate mirwais with American Life album.

Music felt so fresh and exciting.  AL always seemed stark.  But I think that Madonna was aiming for?

• 2 weeks later...