“Medellín”

apparently French critics are loving the song.. most critics seem to love it, but I hope it's not just a push from the management (even MDNA first got good reviews)

anyway.. not a big fan, but I love the bridge. Hope the next song is more disco-typical Mirwais and performed at Eurovision though.

it's a grower.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/04/madonna-medellin-stream/

Bow to your Queen, Madonna has returned.

Today, the blockbuster pop icon has delivered “Medellín”, the first single from her highly anticipated fourteenth studio album, Madame X.

Featuring Colombian singer Maluma, the reggaeton track offers a portrait of Madonna’s new identity Madame X, which she’s described as “a secret agent traveling around the world, changing identity, fighting for freedom, and bringing light to dark places.”

Well, she certainly travels. “I took a sip and had a dream,” she sings, “and woke up in Medellín.” The whole “one, two” lyric is catchy as hell, but this is a track that thrives from meandering, as if she’s swimming around the very waters of the titular location.

https://www.clashmusic.com/news/listen-to-madonnas-new-single-medellin

Madonna has released her new single 'Medellin'.

The singer will release new album 'Madame X' later this year, her first album in five years.

Teasing material online, the Queen Of Pop promised a collaboration with Colombian star Maluma.

Online now, 'Medellin' is a spicy tropical banger, with Maluma's voice certainly coming to the fore.

Madonna manages the soulful breakdowns, her downcast delivery sitting at odds with the Colombian's fire.

It's a club banger, though, and it will certainly delight the hardcore.

https://abitofpopmusic.com/2019/04/17/single-review-madonna-medellin-feat-maluma/

Madonna returns with new single featuring Maluma
The Queen of Pop is back! Madonna makes her long awaited return with her brand new single ‘Medellín’ featuring Colombian super star Maluma. The track is the first taken from Madonna’s upcoming 14th studio album Madame X, which will be out on the 14th of June. It is Madonna’s first release since Rebel Heart came out in 2015. For the new single she worked with producer Mirwais, with whom she collaborated on the majority of the records Music and American Life too. Will Madonna rise to the top of the charts once more with Maluma by her side?

As expected with Maluma as a featuring artist, ‘Medellín’ (named after the city in Colombia) contains lyrics in both Spanish and English. Madonna opens the track with rhythmically whispering the words ‘One, two, cha-cha-cha’. The first verse is a dreamy synth based affair with heavily autotuned vocals by Madonna, while Maluma whispers a word or two in between her sentences. Maluma does some verses of his own too and the almost five minutes long track takes its time to build to its main hooks. The chorus comes around after the first couple of verses, but it is actually the Spanish languaged post-chorus (if you could call it that) which is only introduced in the second part of the song, that is the most catchy.

I am expecting ‘Medellín’ to divide fans an critics alike. It is a well produced latin infused pop tune which does feel like a Madonna song, but also seems to buy into the hype of Spanish bops that we have seen in recent years. It might not go down in history as one of her best songs, but I am pretty sure that I will enjoy this with warmer weather coming up! With every spin, the track gets more infectious and that of course includes her next catch phrase ‘Slow Down Papi!’. At least it makes me want to hear more of Madame X!

1 hour ago, smirnoff_ice said:

Today, the blockbuster pop icon has delivered “Medellín”, the first single from her highly anticipated fourteenth studio album, Madame X.

Featuring Colombian singer Maluma, the reggaeton track offers a portrait of Madonna’s new identity Madame X, which she’s described as “a secret agent traveling around the world, changing identity, fighting for freedom, and bringing light to dark places.”

Well, she certainly travels. “I took a sip and had a dream,” she sings, “and woke up in Medellín.” The whole “one, two” lyric is catchy as hell, but this is a track that thrives from meandering, as if she’s swimming around the very waters of the titular location.

I’m so proud of M. 😊

Guest CzarnaWisnia
12 hours ago, Nightshade said:

Don't fret, babe. I remember back in 1998, some music outlet did an album listening for Ray of Light with a bunch of "club kids" and reported on their reactions: all but one was negative (faint praise for "Skin" or something).

Oh I remember that, It was a magazine. They had "cool", technoloving kids review ROL. I remember they all disliked it. One girl panned Skin, saying from the title she expected it to be about a skin disease or something gross (???) but it turned out to be "lame".

4 hours ago, smirnoff_ice said:

Pretty much all reviews mention this. This is great, they’re getting the message!!!

2 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Oh I remember that, It was a magazine. They had "cool", technoloving kids review ROL. I remember they all disliked it. One girl panned Skin, saying from the title she expected it to be about a skin disease or something gross (???) but it turned out to be "lame".

i remember this too. i think it was spin magazine or something? they said "drowned world" sounded like adult contemporary. now all those same people hold ray of light up as the last time she did anything good. 

Edited by bardo

2 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

It was SPIN magazine, the irony that they did it during a Madonna cover story/ interview/ photo shoot!

15 hours ago, Nightshade said:

Don't fret, babe. I remember back in 1998, some music outlet did an album listening for Ray of Light with a bunch of "club kids" and reported on their reactions: all but one was negative (faint praise for "Skin" or something).

There will always be haters. Always. And guess what? M is still here and still putting out great pop.

That right there is amazing. Her magnum opus and people just weren't ready.

It just goes to show how some people operate, like "So... do we hate this? We probably hate this."

18 hours ago, vertigokane said:

Watched that too—their commentary is shallow and ageist. It amazes me how some folks won’t allow Madonna’s sound to evolve, always comparing new material with songs that are 20 or 30 years old. 

Totally ageist.  And the way certain "journalists" cherry pick negative tweets drive me crazy.

People can just back up any statement with "Twitter isn't having it." and quoting 3 random tweets, It's so lazy.

Just now, ziggyfrommars13 said:

Originally from billboard 

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/latin/8507753/madonna-maluma-medellin-english-lyric-translation

Sorry if it’s already been posted ✌️❌

242B1A20-93F1-4F43-A669-D3E9A6A11E86.jpeg

I like Medellin more and more..

but really this strategy is a bit strange,I think that in Latin countries it can be a big hit.

but I do not see that this single has strength in countries like uk, usa ..

It is strange that for their return after four years they take a risk with a single sung practically in Spanish and very Latin.

I think Madonna's team should know that this is a very big risk ..

will it be true that soon there will be another single with a different style for the English speaking countries? .. the truth would be logical ..

and the video that she filmed un L.a?  that rumor of another single soon?

1 hour ago, peppermint said:

and as usual, a man wrote it supporting her and "getting" it. (women are often so critical) it says a lot when he gets messages saying he should be shamed of himself for liking a new madonna song.

3 hours ago, peppermint said:

He hit the nail on the head when he said people have a problem with HER and that makes them extremely critical of ANYTHING she does, music or otherwise. To a degree, I'd say that's even true for some of her "fans", especially the ones that post directly to her IG their personal expectations and vicious negative opinions when she doesn't meet those personal expectations. It's those type of fans that have clearly bought into that "she's a bitch....so I can say whatever I want" narrative as well to some degree. Anyone that tells someone they should be ashamed for liking the song, clearly doesn't have an issue with the song but the person singing it.