Rate: Medellín

Rock

Rate: Medellín  

565 members have voted

1. 1. Rate: Medellín

Last night I went to bed
with this earworm in my head.

I feel there could be the tiniest bit of judicious editing to make it more compact and immediate, so I'm interested in hearing the radio edit.

And can I just say WELCOME BACK MIRWAIS. I really love the production and the percussion. The song really has a modern edge that's been missing for a while.

2 hours ago, Kim said:

Last night I went to bed
with this earworm in my head.

I feel there could be the tiniest bit of judicious editing to make it more compact and immediate, so I'm interested in hearing the radio edit.

And can I just say WELCOME BACK MIRWAIS. I really love the production and the percussion. The song really has a modern edge that's been missing for a while.

Totally agree with everything you say. 

I find it funny when I read comparison with Daddy Yankee or Cardi B (hello NYPost !!) - I mean, this is soooooo different and what makes it different is that modern edge you're talking about. There's a little twist in that sound that makes it very good. 

For me this is between GOOD and EXCELLENT.

It's not excellent because I think there's a little bit too much of Maluma in there (even if I quite like him and I see it as a duet, not a featuring). Sometimes, I feel her voice is drowned by his and that's something I don't like. 
The other thing is I think there's a little too much effect on her voice and I find it's not necessary.

Having said that, I must say it's a real earworm and the Mirwais production is top notch ! :inlove:

11 hours ago, p4_trulo said:

Bitch ive spend thousands of dollars on plains , hotels and tickets for the tours Felicia my ass. im just saying the ugly truth , i do like the song its like a beautiful song for her fans and its a grower  , just dont expect regular GP play it like locos till they like it , fans and critics like it and a lot its just thats not enough to make it a hit you need GP and Youn people to like dont u think?  ,  i would upload the memes making fun of the song but they are in spanish and related with mexican singers too so u would not get it but they are making fun not praising the song , and as i said lets give it some.time maybe latin people will turn around and like it  and since its not that reggaeton it has more chances of white people to like it 

No disrespect to you whatsoever but anyone that would go out of their way to make negative meme's about it was never THAT on board to begin with. This song hasn't even been out 24 hrs yet. Can only speak for myself but there have been MANY times (Madonna and otherwise) where I don't like a song IMMEDIATELY, songs take time to grow. If they don't "have the luxury of time" for that (potential) growth before they run off and make immature, pointless memes desecrating her then that speaks more to them than Madonna or the quality of the song. 

20 minutes ago, Kim said:

I went to bed with this earworm in my head. I feel there could be the tiniest bit of judicious editing to make it more compact and immediate, so I'm interested in hearing the radio edit.

👍

After almost 20 yrs, Mirwais STILL manages to sound fresh.....and maybe even still "futuristic" (we'll know when we hear the album).

7 minutes ago, runa said:

It's not excellent because I think there's a little bit too much of Maluma in there (even if I quite like him and I see it as a duet, not a featuring). Sometimes, I feel her voice is drowned by his and that's something I don't like. 
The other thing is I think there's a little too much effect on her voice and I find it's not necessary.

Having said that, I must say it's a real earworm and the Mirwais production is top notch ! :inlove:

Agree with this 100%.  Love the song, but especially in the chorus I'd rather hear more Madonna, less Maluma.  Or at least equal parts of both.  She sounds more like backing vocals in that part. :thumbsdown: 

That being said, it's been stuck in my head since the 3rd listen and I can't stop repeating it.  Now, to learn the Spanish parts so I can actually sing along. :lol:

2 hours ago, TXIII said:

I’m still obsessed. I woke up this morning and the first thing I did was play this song. 

Yes. I’ll be focusing on Medellín exclusively for a solid length of time, to become really familiar with this new addition to the catalogue. 

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Agree with this 100%.  Love the song, but especially in the chorus I'd rather hear more Madonna, less Maluma.  Or at least equal parts of both.  She sounds more like backing vocals in that part. :thumbsdown: 

No, I think she owns the song prominently! 

1 minute ago, runa said:

Yes I feel like when they're singing together Madonna's voice should be higher in the mix. I also feel the first pre-chorus (?) Ven conmigo, let's take a trip could be removed to tighten it up. But really it's nit picking. I'm assuming the autotune in this case is a production choice rather than a necessity, especially seeing as it's Mirwais and all. Anyway, it's a yes from me! Cha Cha Cha!

Guest Amelia aka Neutrocks

I got up this morning, listened before work and really got into it more than when I first heard it.  It definitely is a grower.  

6 hours ago, Wunderkind said:

I woke up at 3 am last night, put my headphones on, listened to Medellin and went back to sleep with a smile 😊 Wokw up at 8, headphones back on and Medellin on repeat ever since. I haven’t been this obsessed with a Madonna single since Hung Up. Love it 😍 

LOL I did exactly like that, I woke up early and saw my headphones next to me, so thought of waking up and get ready my morning head with Medellin, it worked, I had a great morning!  So much better on headphones, can hear Wirwais subtle techniques better

It gets better the more you hear it as well.  Really is a grower and that happened quickly too.  After the 3rd listen,  I just wanted to keep playing it and was singing it all day in my head.  I like his voice and think he sings with a lot of spirit and character too (  hope that makes sense )  Always love Madonna's voice of course and adore the contrast throughout the song,  the softness of the verses and the sexiness of the chorus is interesting and I really love the cha cha cha part.  Love Latin dances and this fits in beautifully.  Plus the mellow tone of it is an added surprise that works incredibly well. 

Love it....the rumors were true its a Madonna song..."make us dance in a different kind of way!"...I sway, cha-cha, reggaeton and bop. 😍

13 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

It gets better the more you hear it as well.  Really is a grower and that happened quickly too.  After the 3rd listen,  I just wanted to keep playing it and was singing it all day in my head.  I like his voice and think he sings with a lot of spirit and character too (  hope that makes sense )  Always love Madonna's voice of course and adore the contrast throughout the song,  the softness of the verses and the sexiness of the chorus is interesting and I really love the cha cha cha part.  Love Latin dances and this fits in beautifully.  Plus the mellow tone of it is an added surprise that works incredibly well. 

Agree with all of your comments here. The music video will bring the song to life as well.

Ugh...now I will have to go back to attending those annoying group zumba dance classes at my gym just so I can dance to this bop, since I'm sure they'll be using the song nonstop.

Medellin is a grower.  First listen I wasn't sure but it definitely grows on the listener quickly.  It stands a chance of success.  2.5 million views in 24 hrs can't be bad for someone nearly 40 years into their career.  Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.  Deffinately her best released single in many years, love it....

2 hours ago, the-queen said:

Madonna’s softer voice when she sings “found myself dancing in the rain with you” makes me melt. A highlight of the song for me.

Definitely. Especially when she says “...with yoUUu”  very sweet and vulnerable. And when she sings “Aaalive”. :wow: :dramatic:

I woke up today and thought Medellín was only a dream because it was too perfect to be true. Then I go running to press play on the song and there it is.... :dramatic: 

I love how multilayered the production is. I keep hearing new sounds, new nuances, new background vocals with each new listen. 

Last time we got this level of production was Confessions, wasn’t it? (though Devil Pray kicks ass too)

It's excellent for what it is.

A collaboration with Maluma was never going to be the Like a Prayer / Vogue / Hung Up kind of excellent. The whole purpose of it is an attempt at getting a hit lead single for the album.

Turns out we got a beautiful, melodic, chill song that will likely be the first single since 4 Minutes that will really stand out and have its own identity from her 2010s releases.

I also think a lot of people are paying too much attention to the reggaeton vibe and that it has Maluma on it. The lyrics are impeccable and could easily be on Ray of Light, whilst having classic Madonna hooks/moments (1, 2 cha cha cha / Slow down papi)

I think the rest of the album will be significantly better than this but I LOVE Medellín for what it is! (Remember it wasn't even in the first 5 tracks of the original tracklisting, where the biggest impact songs usually are)

so good! 'luv the madonna and maluma combo ( i reserve the excellent rating for LAP , frozen, erotica, and everybody.) 

Edited by toujours

Guest eroticerotic

What I love about the song is the visual it conjures up for me;

like a sunny day on a mars beach 🏖 best way to describe it 🙂  literally feels otherworldly with mirwais production.