Eurovision Song Contest - CONFIRMED?

Lolo

IMO Medellín would be quite out of place at Eurovision for 2 reasons --

a) It's a slow burner, that needs repeated listens for the song to 'click' - for Eurovision it would be a better choice to roll out a more instantaneous song with a strong hook that people can directly connect to (if we're talking singles, something along the lines of HU or 4 Minutes)

and b) even though there were the odd successes of Despacito and the likes, Latin / Reggaeton songs are still far from popular in most of Europe. Similarly, Maluma is still a non-entity to most people (except maybe among the teens, but they aren't the typical groups that watch Eurovision). So again, I don't think Medellin would be the type of the song most audiences here could relate to. 

I do expect M to be aware of this though.

If we are 3 week away, that's a long time for a slow burner. I think that Medellin would be cemented into peoples' brains by then. I don't see it as a problem. People are already "cha cha cha"-ing. Also, she might be on single #2 at that point, if the rumors are correct.

58 minutes ago, Nonoka said:

a) It's a slow burner, that needs repeated listens for the song to 'click' - for Eurovision it would be a better choice to roll out a more instantaneous song with a strong hook that people can directly connect to (if we're talking singles, something along the lines of HU or 4 Minutes)

and b) even though there were the odd successes of Despacito and the likes, Latin / Reggaeton songs are still far from popular in most of Europe. Similarly, Maluma is still a non-entity to most people (except maybe among the teens, but they aren't the typical groups that watch Eurovision). So again, I don't think Medellin would be the type of the song most audiences here could relate to. 

A) By the time she does Eurovision most people will be aware of the song.

B) As if Madame X cares about some racist white Europeans who expect her to sing some generic techno song. She'll do what she wants to do. 

1 hour ago, Nonoka said:

Perfectly said. And not playing LAP but only two new songs would be a mistake. 

Also, I cant stop thinking about the instrumental she teased a few months ago.. perhaps that could be the song for eurovision. It’s so Mirwais. Almost like impressive instant meets hung up. A song like that would be fabulous at eurovision

6 minutes ago, Musicinferno said:

The article says she plays Medellín and another track from the new record, I would love that, no need for a classic here.

Oh I agree 100% that would be nothing short of fantastic if that were the case!

19 minutes ago, Monsieur X said:

A) By the time she does Eurovision most people will be aware of the song.

B) As if Madame X cares about some racist white Europeans who expect her to sing some generic techno song. She'll do what she wants to do. 

So people who haven‘t warmed up to Reggaeton / Latin music are all racist white Europeans, and M only has the choice between playing Medellín and „some generic techno song“? Okay. 

1 minute ago, Nonoka said:

So people who haven‘t warmed up to Reggaeton / Latin music are all racist white Europeans, and M only has the choice between playing Medellín and „some generic techno song“? Okay. 

That's not what I said at all. Read my post. 

19 minutes ago, Nikki said:

Perfectly said. And not playing LAP but only two new songs would be a mistake. 

Also, I cant stop thinking about the instrumental she teased a few months ago.. perhaps that could be the song for eurovision. It’s so Mirwais. Almost like impressive instant meets hung up. A song like that would be fabulous at eurovision

I hope she ignores LAP and plays two new songs instead. 

6 minutes ago, Monsieur X said:

I hope she ignores LAP and plays two new songs instead. 

If you include Medellin with that, it would mean sharing half her eurovision performance with another singer. You think she can’t do it on her own?

3 hours ago, Monsieur X said:

That's not what I said at all. Read my post. 

Okay then care to explain what the racist white European thing is supposed to express? I don't think there are (many) people out there who would reject a Latin-pop performance out of cultural prejudice or similar reasons. However, what is true is that, despite the odd hit here and there, this genre simply hasn't caught on in most European music markets (yet) and a look at the different local charts will confirm that.

Of course she can still play the song if she wants to and I'm sure she would make a good performance out of it. However, I regard Eurovision as THE one-of-a kind opportunity for M to rekindle millions of people with her music. She won't be getting another chance like this in Europe in the near time.

So I absolutely do think the songs she's going to present should be chosen wisely - and I have my doubts a Reggaeton song with an unfamiliar artist would be the best choice under these circumstances.

Most people that watch eurovision don't know any of the songs or artists on that stage.. Apart from die hard gay fans... Further more ethnic sounds have always been part of the mix.. From Latin European to Fado to celtic shit to Middle Eastern to fucking dated German disco to schlagers...As are languages we don't even understand. In other words Medellín is a perfect Eurovision song.

Oh and many sometimes shitty Latin songs have been summer anthems for decades now in Europe. 

1 hour ago, Musicinferno said:

The article says she plays Medellín and another track from the new record, I would love that, no need for a classic here.

Oh yes, I hope this is true! 

1 hour ago, acko said:

Most people that watch eurovision don't know any of the songs or artists on that stage.. Apart from die hard gay fans... Further more ethnic sounds have always been part of the mix.. From Latin European to Fado to celtic shit to Middle Eastern to fucking dated German disco to schlagers...As are languages we don't even understand. In other words Medellín is a perfect Eurovision song.

Oh and many sometimes shitty Latin songs have been summer anthems for decades now in Europe. 

This perras!

If the Billboard performance goes viral globally (like the Britney kiss), it wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep pushing Medellín on Eurovision if Killers isn’t allowed to be performed. If Medellín becomes an actual hit in Europe/SA then it will at least give enough momentum for Killers Who Are Partying, it all depends on how great the song/video is and so far from what we’ve seen/heard about the song it sounds like a potential smash for her. Fingers crossed she can perform it on Eurovision!

I totally understand many people's perspectives about performing Medellin at the Eurovision now the song has an epic video and the streams are getting stronger and the radio airplay is finally beginning but I do think it's old skool way of thinking. A long life lead single would be brill but these days many artists and bands quickly release other songs and videos it is the age of streaming after all hence why she is releasing several songs on iTunes as previews before June 14th.

Of course they are not true singles but the fact the album isn't out until June 14th makes me believe there will be another singles and video out before that will be promoted like Medellin, it wouldn't make sens wto dedicate the entire 9 week period until the album drops just to the one video/single.

For me dropping another epic video and performing that song at the Eurovision is much better for the album/tour because it allows the general public (Which is very this time around as RH was overall only tapped into by the fans) a different flavour of the album. I don't think it would make people forget about Medellin, the industry doesn't tick like that anymore it's plenty of singles all out in a bang and let's face it once the album does drop Madonna will more than likely drop into tour mode which means the album era finishes she doesn't spend loads of time on promoting as the tour takes centre stage.

Medellin is great but I bet there's much better on Madame X and that could be the dance/disco track that was filmed in the theatre in February. I say let's have a great performance at BB of the new single then come and show us a different side to Madame X Madonna and perform the next single.

If she can secure two big well known hits online/maybe the charts then that will set up the album better for sales and ultimately will drive more people to her new tour. I'm here for 2 big singles before the album drops.

Let's look at it this way: Do you guys think singing Gimme all your Love at the Superbowl was helpful at all for MDNA's promotion, or the tour's promotion? I don't think it added much value. 

21 hours ago, Monsieur X said:

As if Madame X cares about some racist white Europeans who expect her to sing some generic techno song. She'll do what she wants to do. 

Exactly. Madame ❌ will do what she wants, including cha-cha-cha

9 minutes ago, whyme? said:

Let's look at it this way: Do you guys think singing Gimme all your Love at the Superbowl was helpful at all for MDNA's promotion, or the tour's promotion? I don't think it added much value. 

GMAYL was average at best.

Medellin is vastly superior to it. 

On past form, it does make sense that Madonna will just repeat the Billboard perf of Medellin with another new song or a classic.

They don't think about promo the way fans do. Of course it would be great to drop and perform whatever is the catchiest and most immediate song around the same time as Eurovision and time everything perfectly to try and manufacture a hit, but I don't think they are seeing the bigger picture. I think they'll just consider it another part of the promo circuit for the album without capitalizing on the potential.

1 hour ago, Kim said:

On past form, it does make sense that Madonna will just repeat the Billboard perf of Medellin with another new song or a classic.

They don't think about promo the way fans do. Of course it would be great to drop and perform whatever is the catchiest and most immediate song around the same time as Eurovision and time everything perfectly to try and manufacture a hit, but I don't think they are seeing the bigger picture. I think they'll just consider it another part of the promo circuit for the album without capitalizing on the potential.

I would have thought something like this if Guy Oseary was the one behind her promotion (seems like this isn't the case given the great rollout of everything so far) but honestly I believe they will try to step the game up a bit because this is literally Madonna's biggest live event and I would find it silly if they rehash a performance seen by many already. I'm sure they will find a way to mash up the classic and Medellin/new song and that alone requieres a new arrangement in Madonna's head. 

1 minute ago, AlanLongoria said:

I would have thought something like this if Guy Oseary was the one behind her promotion (seems like this isn't the case given the great rollout of everything so far) but honestly I believe they will try to step the game up a bit because this is literally Madonna's biggest live event and I would find it silly if they rehash a performance seen by many already. I'm sure they will find a way to mash up the classic and Medellin/new song and that alone requieres a new arrangement in Madonna's head. 

is Eurovision bigger than the Superbowl?? (sorry for my ignorant question)

If so: YaYY

1 hour ago, Kim said:

Yes. I love Medellin and not complaining if she performs it but I do think that a brand new, ultra catchy song for Eurovision could be incredible. Medellin is fantastic but it is a grower. Just read enough comments from die hard fans here on this forum who took a while to fully appreciate and love it.   Something most have commented on - it is layered and takes time to fully love it. That is not an insult to the song but just an observation. 

Eurovision will have a huge viewer audience. As trite as this may sound, events like this need instant ultra catchy songs to catch the GP totally. Medellin is fantastic but it is not instantaneous.  Why normally the catchiest songs win the competition. It is also a full blown fun event, not serious or solemn. 

4 minutes ago, Genevieve Vavance said:

is Eurovision bigger than the Superbowl?? (sorry for my ignorant question)

If so: YaYY

Definitely worldwide. Super Bowl is much bigger in the USA. Eurovision everywhere else. Madonna's performance on SuperBowl itself created mass talk around the world. Eurovision would have the same effect