Covington Catholic school students viral videos incident

Camacho

2 hours ago, Magician said:

:sick:

Disgusting boys. The school should be so ashamed that they are their students. That smirking boy who stood in front of the elder, smirking and trying to intimidate him made me want to throw something at his arrogant face. No respect, no decency. The indigenous Elder was brave and so patient. Something these cretins should learn to be. 

Mother of the year 🤮

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/maga-hat-donald-trump-native-american-covington-catholic-nathan-phillips-black-muslims-a8737186.html?amp

MAGA hat boy's mother blames 'black Muslims' for her son harassing Native American man

Parent claims musician ‘drummed in his face’ while ‘black Muslims yelled profanities’

Adam Forrest

The mother of a boy filmed harassing a Native American man along with his friends at a rally in Washington DC has blamed “black Muslims” for the confrontation, without providing any evidence for the claim.

The teenager was among a group of students wearing Make America Great Again hats who were criticised for intimidating the musician Nathan Phillips, surrounding him to jeer and chant “build the wall, build the wall”.

But his mother claimed “black Muslims” had been harassing the group of Donald Trump supporters from the private, all-male Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky.

In an email to the news website Heavy.com, she wrote: “Did you hear the names of the people where (sic) calling these boys? It was shameful. Did you witness the black Muslims yelling profanities and video taping to get something to futher (sic) your narrative of hatred??

“Did you know that this “man” came up to this one boy and drummed in his face?”

The encounter took place at an anti-abortion March for Life rally in the capital on Friday.

Footage of the confrontation involving Mr Phillips, a veteran of the Vietnam war and an elder of Nebraska’s Omaha tribe, was shared online by organisers of an indigenous peoples’ march that also took place on Friday.

Separate video shared online showed a group of black men standing near the scene of the confrontation, arguing with the MAGA hat-wearing Trump supporters. It is unclear to which religious group the men belonged, but they could be heard quoting passages from the Old Testament of the *.

The intimidation of Mr Phillips, meanwhile, has prompted a torrent of outrage. Actress and activist Alyssa Milano tweeted that the footage “brought me to tears,” while actor Chris Evans said the students’ actions were “appalling” and “shameful.” 

Democratic congresswoman Deb Haaland, a member of New Mexico’s Laguna Pueblo tribe, tweeted that the students had shown “blatant hate, disrespect, and intolerance”.

Rep Ruth Buffalo, a North Dakota state lawmaker and member of the Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara Nation, said she was saddened to see students showing disrespect to an elder who is also a military veteran.

“The behaviour shown in that video is just a snapshot of what indigenous people have faced and are continuing to face,” said Ms Buffalo.

Both the Catholic high school and the Diocese of Covington have apologised and condemned the actions of the students.

“We extend our deepest apologies to Mr Phillips. This behaviour is opposed to the church’s teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person.”

“The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion,” the statement said.

Covington Catholic High School has since closed its Facebook page.

“When I was there singing, I heard them saying ‘Build that wall, build that wall’,” Mr Phillips said, as he wiped away tears in a video later posted on Instagram. “This is indigenous lands. We’re not supposed to have walls here. We never did.”

Image may contain: 45 people, people smiling, selfie and close-up

Name and shame them all. 

Why do people rush to justify or excuse bad behaviour like this?

It wouldn’t have mattered who did what, my ass would have been handed to me on a plate if I acted so disrespectfully to an elder like this.

Guess some of us were raised better than others.

Guest CzarnaWisnia
17 hours ago, Magician said:

Mother of the year 🤮

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/maga-hat-donald-trump-native-american-covington-catholic-nathan-phillips-black-muslims-a8737186.html?amp

MAGA hat boy's mother blames 'black Muslims' for her son harassing Native American man

Parent claims musician ‘drummed in his face’ while ‘black Muslims yelled profanities’

Adam Forrest

The mother of a boy filmed harassing a Native American man along with his friends at a rally in Washington DC has blamed “black Muslims” for the confrontation, without providing any evidence for the claim.

The teenager was among a group of students wearing Make America Great Again hats who were criticised for intimidating the musician Nathan Phillips, surrounding him to jeer and chant “build the wall, build the wall”.

But his mother claimed “black Muslims” had been harassing the group of Donald Trump supporters from the private, all-male Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky.

In an email to the news website Heavy.com, she wrote: “Did you hear the names of the people where (sic) calling these boys? It was shameful. Did you witness the black Muslims yelling profanities and video taping to get something to futher (sic) your narrative of hatred??

She was mistaken, they weren't black muslims, they were black israelites, which anyone can actually see in the longer footage videos available. These four guys were protesting near the stairs and insulting people, including insulting Native Americans there.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/julie-irwin-zimmerman-i-failed-covington-catholic-test/580897/

I Failed the Covington Catholic Test

2 hours ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/julie-irwin-zimmerman-i-failed-covington-catholic-test/580897/

. Take away the video and tell me why millions of people care so much about an obnoxious group of high-school students protesting legalized abortion and a small circle of American Indians protesting centuries of mistreatment who were briefly locked in a tense standoff. Take away Twitter and Facebook and explain why total strangers care so much about people they don’t know in a confrontation they didn’t witness. Why are we all so primed for outrage, and what if the thousands of words and countless hours spent on this had been directed toward something consequential?

This Part of that post is the answer.   I don't for one second agree with naming the "smirking boy" or sending him death threats which is outrageous and dangerous.  Also,  can see that the extended footage is more complicated etc than we first thought ie these jumping private catholic teen boys in MAGA hats (  very political clothing that completely identifies them as Trump supporters )  did not come up and circle the elder as initially thought.  So yes,  the analysis of the situation was unfair. 

That I do wonder about though and have for years is the mentality of so many American conservatives.  Why are catholic schoolboys wearing MAGA hats even doing at a right to life march - do these boys really care about abortion,  especially considering it is not their bodies.  The hypocrisy of these groups who are so against abortion - no matter the circumstance,  basically don't care about the child when the child is born.  Yes,  the same group of people don't give a rat's continental about children when they are born.  They don't care about kids growing up in poverty,  health care for kids that are not rich and don't care about kids who are gunned down and killed - more concerned about the rights to own guns etc.  

So, to answer that post,  that is why people reacted like they did.  Sorry,  but a group of teenage boys wearing MAGA hats,  going to anti legalized abortion rallies and jumping and chanting will never come across well.  That is the answer and why people were so turned off when saw the initial footage.  

Guest CzarnaWisnia
18 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

This Part of that post is the answer.   I don't for one second agree with naming the "smirking boy" or sending him death threats which is outrageous and dangerous.  Also,  can see that the extended footage is more complicated etc than we first thought ie these jumping private catholic teen boys in MAGA hats (  very political clothing that completely identifies them as Trump supporters )  did not come up and circle the elder as initially thought.  So yes,  the analysis of the situation was unfair. 

That I do wonder about though and have for years is the mentality of so many American conservatives.  Why are catholic schoolboys wearing MAGA hats even doing at a right to life march - do these boys really care about abortion,  especially considering it is not their bodies.  The hypocrisy of these groups who are so against abortion - no matter the circumstance,  basically don't care about the child when the child is born.  Yes,  the same group of people don't give a rat's continental about children when they are born.  They don't care about kids growing up in poverty,  health care for kids that are not rich and don't care about kids who are gunned down and killed - more concerned about the rights to own guns etc.  

So, to answer that post,  that is why people reacted like they did.  Sorry,  but a group of teenage boys wearing MAGA hats,  going to anti legalized abortion rallies and jumping and chanting will never come across well.  That is the answer and why people were so turned off when saw the initial footage.  

Well, I think the lesson is that people are very quick to set themselves up as models of virtue, but are just as quick to judge others based on appearances and generalizations. Some people call for social justice and more empathetic views of the other, but they fail to see a human being in their political opponents, even opponents they don't know personally nor know anything about, really. There's a lot of hypocrisy involved and, I think, mental disorder created by the vast mob mentality of social media. People have distorted views of reality and see everything through the single prism of "politics", when that is only a fraction of human life. Just as you described "so many American conservatives", I'm certain American conservatives would describe "so many American liberals". People whine and whine about how America is in the pits and how that country is so separated, but who exactly is working to mitigate or mediate this? I don't see a lot of that. What I see a lot of is blaming the other group for everything, pointing the finger, and blind rage. Politicians are transient, they don't last. Trump will eventually be removed. But the people remain. After millenia of human evolution and progress, this is what it comes down to? People yet again on each side, bickering and salivating at the possibility of vengeance and blood sport. No one is willing to see life through someone else's eyes. It seems quite hopeless at this point, to me anyway.

16 minutes ago, CzarnaWisnia said:

Well, I think the lesson is that people are very quick to set themselves up as models of virtue, but are just as quick to judge others based on appearances and generalizations. Some people call for social justice and more empathetic views of the other, but they fail to see a human being in their political opponents, even opponents they don't know personally nor know anything about, really. There's a lot of hypocrisy involved and, I think, mental disorder created by the vast mob mentality of social media. People have distorted views of reality and see everything through the single prism of "politics", when that is only a fraction of human life. Just as you described "so many American conservatives", I'm certain American conservatives would describe "so many American liberals". People whine and whine about how America is in the pits and how that country is so separated, but who exactly is working to mitigate or mediate this? I don't see a lot of that. What I see a lot of is blaming the other group for everything, pointing the finger, and blind rage. Politicians are transient, they don't last. Trump will eventually be removed. But the people remain. After millenia of human evolution and progress, this is what it comes down to? People yet again on each side, bickering and salivating at the possibility of vengeance and blood sport. It seems quite hopeless at this point, to me anyway.

I do understand what you are saying totally.  I don't actually believe all American conservatives are like this.  Actually think a lot of conservatives would be ashamed of Trump and Sarah Palin etc.  Only had to look at John McCain and how he tried to defend Obama etc when Palin supporters were being horrible and disgusting racist about him.  However,  Trump has changed the perception EASILY of what conservatism is about.   

Conservative American presidents in the past were polite, talked to people with respect and did not come out and make racist, vile comments.  Look at Trump rallies that are shown all over the world.  A group of chanting racists who clap and applaud all of the vile racist and sexist garbage that spills out of his mouth.  All wearing those MAGA hats.  That is the reality shown around the world. 

I was answering the question of why people were so offended at those boys.  That is the reason.  Their hats, their chanting.  They went there as Trump supporters by wearing those hats.  So obvious. 

Also, saw a quiz show the other day ( Pointless )  that named American presidents.  Said to the people I was watching it with, as the hosts groaned about Trump, that never before had people actually looked down at an American President this way.  It is now not a great honour to become the US President when the leader is a vile idiot who tweets rubbish, lies and offensive stuff.  It is up to Conservative Americans to reject him on mass and not want him representing them,  to change the perception that he has brought to them.  By people openly supporting and cheering him, they are identifying as racist, sexist people who don't care about compulsive lying, because that is so obvious what he is.  Conservatives need to see the damage he is doing to their image - if they don't agree with him they need to call him out.  

Guest CzarnaWisnia
3 minutes ago, Jazzy Jan said:

I do understand what you are saying totally.  I don't actually believe all American conservatives are like this.  Actually think a lot of conservatives would be ashamed of Trump and Sarah Palin etc.  Only had to look at John McCain and how he tried to defend Obama etc when Palin supporters were being horrible and disgusting racist about him.  However,  Trump has changed the perception EASILY of what conservatism is about.   

Conservative American presidents in the past were polite, talked to people with respect and did not come out and make racist, vile comments.  Look at Trump rallies that are shown all over the world.  A group of chanting racists who clap and applaud all of the vile racist and sexist garbage that spills out of his mouth.  All wearing those MAGA hats.  That is the reality shown around the world. 

I was answering the question of why people were so offended at those boys.  That is the reason.  Their hats, their chanting.  They went there as Trump supporters by wearing those hats.  So obvious. 

Also, saw a quiz show the other day ( Pointless )  that named American presidents.  Said to the people I was watching it as the hosts groaned about Trump, that never before had people actually looked down at an American President this way.  It is now not a great honour to become the US President when the leader is a vile idiot who tweets rubbish, lies and offensive stuff.  It is up to Conservative Americans to reject him on mass and not want him representing them,  to change the perception that he has brought to them.  By people openly supporting and cheering him, they are identifying as racist, sexist people who don't care about compulsive lying, because that is so obvious what he is.  Conservatives need to see the damage he is doing to their image. 

I probably don't know enough about American politics to comment in detail, but even though Trump is for sure an exception in terms of style for politicians, probably because he's not a career politician (didn't get too many PR classes), I for one never in my life looked to my national leader for guidance. I guess it's easier to feel angry at a leader for their rude or mean spirited remarks and rash politics than it is to feel awed by a leader's stern intelligence and courageous politics, but actually I don't remember any such leader in my life span. If some disgruntled people see Trump as a figure to look up to, I guess they haven't found much to be inspired by in this putrid culture generally. People need something to believe in, something to find meaning in. They're not getting it online or in the shopping malls or on TV, or on their navel-phones. So when a charismatic figure shows up, promising the moon, communicating through today's narcissistic and frenzied social media apps, they can easily be attracted. History is full of such figures. You are definitely right that it was the MAGA hat that got people to believe what they did regarding that young man. People don't even need facts anymore because they have symbols. It's like the ancient peoples who saw signs in this or that. If the kid had not had that hat, I bet there would have been no story there to report.

As for the electorate, let's not forget the nearly half of the population who didn't even vote. Why are their voices not finding an outlet? What kind of crazy political system only offers two options? It's as if it was meant to create blunt division. The Democrats want to trash the current electoral college voting system; they should work instead towards drastically reducing the duration of campaigns and their scandalous costs so that candicates might come from other sectors of the population besides the millionaires club: who in their right mind would want to run for office? Only crazy, power-mad individuals. Since it's a two party system, I guess there is nothing to be expected in terms of mutual understanding. Whatever the Democrats determine as their view on certain topics will necessarily be reversed on the Republican side, and vice versa. "We say blue!" "Well then we say green!", or whatever. To distinguish themselves and get voters, they need to keep that polarisation alive and well. The country needs a solid third party option, in my opinion.

As for the media: a few years ago, there were polls showing the most hated professions. Number one was politicians. I had no problem understanding that. But number two was journalists. I never understood why. They're only reporting the news! I thought then. Now I understand why people mistrust and despise journalists. They feed off this whole thing, and the basic principles of the profession have gone out. They should be helping us understand the world better, but they don't.

It's funny, the way you described Trump (making racist, vile comments, impolite, no respect, etc.) fits exactly what I see online generally on social media from both political sides. People are passive aggressive, pick fights over nothing, insult one another at the drop of a hat or gang up. I guess it's not surprising he's the president. He is of his time. Our time. Lucky us.

11 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

In this case the first "analysis" of the situation, even if lacked some context, remains the right one to me. Longer footage shows how the smirking idiot stood there not letting the native American go through, smirking at him, while his  bullying buddies cheered on him and mocked the man.

He released an allegedly PR assisted statement claiming he was trying to defuse the situation. 1. The fact he got a PR assisted statement kinda proves his people know he's in the wrong side here. 2. If you want to defuse the situation you either try to talk it over or step back. You don't give your best "I'm not going to move and you can't do anything about it" smirk at a man old enough to be your grandparent. 3. The fact that this group of school boys travelled for hours to protest against the rights of women wearing MAGA hats also says a lot. And if you check online, that school has a history in giving free passes on racism and rape.

So while death threats are definitely wrong, I'm ok with this guy collecting some karma for his actions.

28 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

In this case the first "analysis" of the situation, even if lacked some context, remains the right one to me. Longer footage shows how the smirking idiot stood there not letting the native American go through, smirking at him, while his  bullying buddies cheered on him and mocked the man.

He released an allegedly PR assisted statement claiming he was trying to defuse the situation. 1. The fact he got a PR assisted statement kinda proves his people know he's in the wrong side here. 2. If you want to defuse the situation you either try to talk it over or step back. You don't give your best "I'm not going to move and you can't do anything about it" smirk at a man old enough to be your grandparent. 3. The fact that this group of school boys travelled for hours to protest against the rights of women wearing MAGA hats also says a lot. And if you check online, that school has a history in giving free passes on racism and rape.

So while death threats are definitely wrong, I'm ok with this guy collecting some karma for his actions.

Exactly - totally agree with everything you said.

No matter how hard some patronizing people around here try to defend him, what the boy did was disrespectful and wrong.

And don't bring the "Put the phone down and go do something productive" card. We live in a society where every act we make might be caught on camera and exposed to the world in a minute. Time to assume your action - they speak louder than words, btw

1 hour ago, Je5u5 said:

52 minutes ago, runa said:

No matter how hard some patronizing people around here try to defend him, what the boy did was disrespectful and wrong.

And don't bring the "Put the phone down and go do something productive" card. We live in a society where every act we make might be caught on camera and exposed to the world in a minute. Time to assume your action - they speak louder than words, btw

Not excusing the smirking boy or his arrogant school mates.   Their bratty entitled behaviour and disrespect to Nathan Phillips was obvious and horrible.  Have agreed in previous posts that it is wrong for teenagers in MAGA hats to protest the rights of women over their own bodies and to show disrespect to native elders.  .I don't believe for one second that they were afraid or that they were saying silent prayers or whatever garbage they are trying to defend themselves with.  

Simply that the original footage and commentary was the boys all went and circled Nathan Phillips.  When any situation has something incorrectly reported - no matter how small -  it gives the wrong doers a way to deflect things.  Sadly, this has happened here.  Commented on this situation on twitter as others have and have seen Trumpsters all jump on that fact that they did not come up to him and circle him.  They are definitely in the wrong and are obnoxious brats but things always have to be presented 100 per cent accurately .  People would of still been horrified at their smirks, chanting and disrespectful obnoxious behaviour but would not need to be lectured about not having the complete picture.  I hope that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Magician said:

Proves what obnoxious, sexist racist teens they are.  No trying to wiggle out of this video by bringing up one incorrect factor reported to try and deflect blame like they did previously. 

19 hours ago, Je5u5 said:

Thank you. 

I've read several articles going around about the black Israelites and these MAGA boys supposedly defending gays! The PR machine trying to make damage control is surprising. And scary. In the very end, even if this is just a part of a longer video, shows a privilege brat laughing at an unprivileged war hero. 

Cut the bull. There is NO defense of these boys.

Regardless of whether or not the situation wasn't what many originally thought...what these boys did, and the one in particular, is utterly DISRESPECTFUL. My parents would have dragged me to hell and back if I ever pulled such a thing.

Enough with the whole "but maybe they weren't the bad guys in the way you thought"... especially with what is coming out now about these boys and the school (I went to private Catholic schools for quite a while - saw this kind of behavior EVERYWHERE). I mean, they had to get the kid a PR team - ah, hello.  and now they're all being invited to the white house - surprise, surprise.

I keep thinking about that Native American elder and all the disrespect towards him.  HE is the one that deserves the national spotlight. Not these snot-nosed racist brats.

23 hours ago, runa said:

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not falling for that 'playing the middle'/'both sides are just as bad as each other' false equivalence crap. 

3 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not falling for that 'playing the middle'/'both sides are just as bad as each other' false equivalence crap. 

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t know if you watch The View, but Abby Huntsman and Meghan McCain never miss an opportunity to play the “both sides are at fault” card to deflect any form of criticism aimed at Republican politicians.

9 minutes ago, VogueMusic said:

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never forget he was a Trump defender in the past - acting like he's playing the devil's advocate, but we can see through his game. 

6 minutes ago, SeductionSurrender said:

Couldn’t agree more. I don’t know if you watch The View, but Abby Huntsman and Meghan McCain never miss an opportunity to play the “both sides are at fault” card to deflect any form of criticism aimed at Republican politicians.

Oh yes. I've seen them do it all the time. And lots of other conservatives in the media.  But the Libertarians take the cake with it.