New album thread: discuss here. #Magic

2 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

Not really. The album had good reviews but not what we could call critical acclaim.

https://www.metacritic.com/music/rebel-heart/madonna

neither did erotica ...i dont think madonna is thirsty for critical acclaim i mean she made bitch im madonna ...lol ...

After Rebel Heart, and especially at this stage in her career, I don’t really care about commercial success OR awards to be quite honest. Because she achieved neither with an album that really should’ve achieved both. Yeah, yeah, it got solid reviews and it spawned a minor viral hit with BIM, but overall, the album came and went. And if songs like Ghosttown and BIM can’t put a dent in the charts, I honestly don’t know what will. 

There isn’t a living icon like Madonna to even compare anything to. Bowie was the closest I suppose. Bruce Springsteen, U2, Cher to some extent I guess. But none of them are on Madonna’s level in terms of shaping pop culture. So who knows what happens in this next era. I have absolutely zero expectations. None. If she garners a viral hit, a quirky video, or amasses a bunch of Grammy nominations for this next album, I’ll be happy as a fucking clam. But if she releases an album and delivers an era anything close to what she did with Rebel Heart, that’ll be just dandy with me. That era and album were pure Magic. Pardon the pun. 

1 minute ago, KalamazooJay said:

After Rebel Heart, and especially at this stage in her career, I don’t really care about commercial success OR awards to be quite honest. Because she achieved neither with an album that really should’ve achieved both. Yeah, yeah, it got solid reviews and it spawned a minor viral hit with BIM, but overall, the album came and went. And if songs like Ghosttown and BIM can’t put a dent in the charts, I honestly don’t know what will. 

There isn’t a living icon like Madonna to even compare anything to. Bowie was the closest I suppose. Bruce Springsteen, U2, Cher to some extent I guess. But none of them are on Madonna’s level in terms of shaping pop culture. So who knows what happens in this next era. I have absolutely zero expectations. None. If she garners a viral hit, a quirky video, or amasses a bunch of Grammy nominations for this next album, I’ll be happy as a fucking clam. But if she releases an album and delivers an era anything close to what she did with Rebel Heart, that’ll be just dandy with me. That era and album were pure Magic. Pardon the pun. 

yeah i agree with everything you say ..i dont think she has anything to prove ..i just want a great album and her to turn up on time on tour ....

Madonna has always been a very ambitious individual and she’s not gonna change because of anyone. That who she really is. Saying you don’t care for commercial success or awards doesn’t necessarily translate to that’s what she wants. Music is in her blood, so are fame and public’s acknowledgement 

2 minutes ago, Steve said:

I expect a good album but no on time starts for the tour.  She hasn’t started on time to any of her tours I attended. I accept it. 

See, that's the one thing I hope she does change. Came on stage at 11:20pm on a weeknight in my city for the RHT. I wasn't bothered, but the crowd was definitely pissed. Some missed it altogether, others left halfway through, and the rest only started to loosen up after Like a Virgin. This was in Australia, a major market where she hadn't toured in 20 years.

The rest of the Rebel Heart era was great besides the leaks. 

I do believe that Madonnas bosses has more power than what we think in terms of deciding over her music and releases.

I remember reading an interview with the Pet Shop Boys after the Confessions era where they said that Madonna had approached them to collaborate on the follow up to Confessions but that it was all scrapped because her record company wanted her to go more rnb.

Like it or not, she is a brand and her name and tours bring in millions so of course there will be loads of opinions on anything she releases.

22 minutes ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

See, that's the one thing I hope she does change. Came on stage at 11:20pm on a weeknight in my city for the RHT. I wasn't bothered, but the crowd was definitely pissed. Some missed it altogether, others left halfway through, and the rest only started to loosen up after Like a Virgin. This was in Australia, a major market where she hadn't toured in 20 years.

The rest of the Rebel Heart era was great besides the leaks. 

Some left MDNA and RH stops in NYC because of the tardiness. I enjoyed them through and through but weeknight stops and late starts def put some people off. 

If there has been any “delay” — and that is unlikely because, as others noted, the substantiated rumors about her touring dates and secured venues in Europe — it may have been only due to the availability of potential collaborators on the visual end. The new director, Adjei, is very busy/active, yes? Someone said they are supposed to work together, but the schedule was the challenge. So perhaps there was a minor adjustment for the video filming timeline. But who knows, really?

2 minutes ago, humanracin said:

I went to the Australian Rebel Heart gigs and couldn't care less what time she came on stage.

I would have stayed up all night... she's Madonna.

I did stay up all night and will always remember dancing around to Holiday at 1am. It was great and I loved it, as did all the other Madonna die-hards. But a noticeable amount of people had already left by the that point, including one of my friends who had a 5am start the next day. It's definitely something that can be corrected for the next tour. I hope she comes back to Australia, I loved how much of a big deal it was to have her in the country! She made the news everyday, it was Madonna-mania!

43 minutes ago, Steve said:

Some left MDNA and RH stops in NYC because of the tardiness. I enjoyed them through and through but weeknight stops and late starts def put some people off. 

In DC for RHT which was right before NYC she came on at 9:15. How much later xould she have been in NY? I thought the lateness didnt start till Europe?

She came on at 10:45 in my city. People were majorly pissed off and booed her. As much as I love her, I have zero sympathy for unprofessional people. As I had already mentioned this in another thread, I recently asked my friends who went to the show with me the last time if they would see her again, they all said no sadly. They said it (RH tour) wasn’t worth the wait. Whatever 

26 minutes ago, humanracin said:

I went to the Australian Rebel Heart gigs and couldn't care less what time she came on stage.

I would have stayed up all night... she's Madonna.

Unfortunately 90% of the arenas are casual fans and straight people with families etc. who care a lot about such kind of stuff. You can't sell out shows with just hardcore fans. You need the general public.

MDNA tour did a lot of harm in the US. 10:30pm every night and some times even 11:30pm like both nights in Miami. Rebel Heart was better at the beginning but it got worse and worse.

As far as I know, the general public mostly bitched and complained. Fans, such as myself, could sit all night waiting for her, like @humanracin already pointed out. It’s Madonna!! With that being said, often times she doesn’t start the show until everyone is seated. And in Nashville, people were all late!! When everyone was seated, M came on stage! 

6 minutes ago, Magician said:

:lol2: at this going viral. The Barbz are not pleased!

Lol I didn't anticipate I'd get this much hate from the barbz when I posted this but I'm taking a shower to cleanse myself of their comments

38 minutes ago, iasonas said:

Unfortunately 90% of the arenas are casual fans and straight people with families etc. who care a lot about such kind of stuff. You can't sell out shows with just hardcore fans. You need the general public.

MDNA tour did a lot of harm in the US. 10:30pm every night and some times even 11:30pm like both nights in Miami. Rebel Heart was better at the beginning but it got worse and worse.

Agreed.

For MDNA tour in Mexico City she started around 10:35pm but oh well at least we had Paul Oaklefond.

For RHT she started 10:05pm so it was an improvement.

She’s a night person and honestly I don’t see her starting a show at 9pm and finishing at 11pm, this is like a night out or a nightclub for her, she only started early when the arena/stadium had a curfew.

But yeah, hopefully she doesn’t start that late or she does, at least bring a good opening act.

20 minutes ago, Iconic Fetus said:

For MDNA tour in Mexico City she started around 10:35pm but oh well at least we had Paul Oaklefond.

For RHT she started 10:05pm so it was an improvement.

She’s a night person and honestly I don’t see her starting a show at 9pm and finishing at 11pm, this is like a night out or a nightclub for her, she only started early when the arena/stadium had a curfew.

But yeah, hopefully she doesn’t start that late or she does, at least bring a good opening act.

Um, Drowned World, Re-Invention, Confessions, Sticky all started at 8:45pm sharp in the US. Every single night. Being late just makes her seem unprofessional and overshadows her amazing shows.

2 hours ago, loveperanders said:

I do believe that Madonnas bosses has more power than what we think in terms of deciding over her music and releases.

I remember reading an interview with the Pet Shop Boys after the Confessions era where they said that Madonna had approached them to collaborate on the follow up to Confessions but that it was all scrapped because her record company wanted her to go more rnb.

Like it or not, she is a brand and her name and tours bring in millions so of course there will be loads of opinions on anything she releases.

Madonna + PSBoys would be soooo good! 

1 hour ago, iasonas said:

I see your point, but MDNA tour wasn’t consistently late, either. I saw her in DC on the first night, and it wasn’t that late. That was in September. But when I saw her in Pittsburgh, I think she was a little later — but it was Election Night in the US, so there was that factor at play. (To be honest, I didn’t even watch the clock — I just know it was a little later than it was supposed to be...)

Also, there was the ticket price time issue — although it says 8:00, there was an opening act ... so there’s time for their set and then the changeover of the stage... so her going on at 9:30 is not really “late” at all. 10:30 is pushing it, I can understand...

Again, I’m such a die-hard fan, I’ll wait and it is no big deal to me. But it’s true that the majority of the arena audience is the general public, not die-hards like us. The transportation issues seem to happen in some places, and the curfews, etc. I think that eventually does have a negative impact on perception.

In DC, they were telling everyone the metro would stay open until the concert ended, and it worked well. I realize not all places are so generous with the time, though.

In Japan she was about 45 mins late (starting at 8.45 instead of 8.00) the first night but she was criticized heavily in the press (Japan being a country where lateness is not acceptable even for Superstars) and the next night she started exactly at 8. Showing that both her management and herself were well aware of the situation. She was however an hour late the next day for her MDNA skin care press junket. 😝😝😝

However for the 2 shows I went to in Brisbane. She was so late the first night that full refunds were offered by her management for the second nights show seeming to indicate that they felt they were not confident that they could get her to start at a reasonable time. When you consider how money focused her management is it was bizarre to think that they would rather offer refunds than get her on stage on time....

Commercial success is what every artist wants.  Well known songs loved by the GP live on forever. Madonna did not win any major awards for True Blue and Like a Prayer albums. Two of the most loved and successful pop albums EVER with singles still loved, known and adored today. Critical praise and awards are fantastic cherries on top and definitely desired but commercial success with the public's love and major knowledge of music is ultimately the most important thing. 

3 hours ago, sfm93 said:

Lol I didn't anticipate I'd get this much hate from the barbz when I posted this but I'm taking a shower to cleanse myself of their comments

What is barbz?