The promo campaign for Ms new album

just!ce

I am so hyped by the information about Ms new album and literally cannot wait! It would be awesome to have a top-notch promo campaign to make sure that M is where she belongs: at the top of the world. 

What are your ideas for a promo campaign? I've read so many ideas in other topics and would like to discuss them in depth here.

Here's what I'd love to see, but it will never happen!

• NO LEAKS PLEASE! HIDE EVERYTHING MADONNA, DON'T GIVE A COPY TO DAVID TO LISTEN TO ON THE WAY TO SOCCER PRACTICE!!!
  • No pre-orders or instant grat pre-release single on iTunes. 4 or 5 "teaser" video clips about 10-15 seconds each before a music video release of the lead single. Video on Vevo a few hours before the single is released to iTunes. Have the single, plus a remix bundle ready to go on sale, include a newly commissioned remix of one or two Madonna classics in this bundle as an "Album Only" exclusive.
  • The next day, add only the single to Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music streaming, not the remixes (add those the following week, making them iTunes exclusives for a time). Release a new exclusive remix of the single each week for the next 4 weeks to keep sales ticking along. 
  • Release some format of physical single. A 7", a CD single, a 12" vinyl, a Picture Disc, whatever, something or everything - fans are going to buy whatever is released, get stuff out there ready for us to buy and collect! A huge chunk of her fanbase now aren't massive music streamers or digital purchasers, vinyl is king again now, so give us vinyl to buy!
  • Start an online/TV/print hype campaign for the album a month before the album release. New photoshoots, maybe a high profile endorsement with the new single attached to it? Surprise TV appearances on some late night shows/music awards/Ellen/whatever. Not overkill, just a couple in the US, UK, Germany, France and finally Australia and Japan. Interviews or exclusive performances, of course perform the new single along with a Madonna classic or two.
  • When the album is ready for release, give us the whole box and dice. Follow a path similar to Kylie and her "Golden" album, have the album available in loads of formats and bundles, each with it's own exclusive. This will push sales, whilst keeping loons like me happy collecting all sorts of different things :)

That's just a few ideas which would make things fun!

34 minutes ago, Bretticus said:

• NO LEAKS PLEASE! HIDE EVERYTHING MADONNA, DON'T GIVE A COPY TO DAVID TO LISTEN TO ON THE WAY TO SOCCER PRACTICE!!!
  • No pre-orders or instant grat pre-release single on iTunes. 4 or 5 "teaser" video clips about 10-15 seconds each before a music video release of the lead single. Video on Vevo a few hours before the single is released to iTunes. Have the single, plus a remix bundle ready to go on sale, include a newly commissioned remix of one or two Madonna classics in this bundle as an "Album Only" exclusive.
  • The next day, add only the single to Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music streaming, not the remixes (add those the following week, making them iTunes exclusives for a time). Release a new exclusive remix of the single each week for the next 4 weeks to keep sales ticking along. 
  • Release some format of physical single. A 7", a CD single, a 12" vinyl, a Picture Disc, whatever, something or everything - fans are going to buy whatever is released, get stuff out there ready for us to buy and collect! A huge chunk of her fanbase now aren't massive music streamers or digital purchasers, vinyl is king again now, so give us vinyl to buy!
  • Start an online/TV/print hype campaign for the album a month before the album release. New photoshoots, maybe a high profile endorsement with the new single attached to it? Surprise TV appearances on some late night shows/music awards/Ellen/whatever. Not overkill, just a couple in the US, UK, Germany, France and finally Australia and Japan. Interviews or exclusive performances, of course perform the new single along with a Madonna classic or two.
  • When the album is ready for release, give us the whole box and dice. Follow a path similar to Kylie and her "Golden" album, have the album available in loads of formats and bundles, each with it's own exclusive. This will push sales, whilst keeping loons like me happy collecting all sorts of different things :)

WOW :clap:

you should work for her. this would be awesome!

I want lots and lots of pictures, like when Confessions came out. I was downloading gold disco balls and Madonna in various sequined leotards for weeks. Good times.

2 hours ago, Bretticus said:

I 2nd that

I am sorry if this has been answered many times, but is Interscope/Livenation releasing the new album? Same way they released MDNA and Rebel Heart? Or she's done with Interscope?

1 minute ago, iasonas said:

I am sorry if this has been answered many times, but is Interscope/Livenation releasing the new album? Same way they released MDNA and Rebel Heart? Or she's done with Interscope?

No one knows!!

4 minutes ago, iasonas said:

The album will be released by Interscope.

She signed a 3 album deal so this will be the 3rd and final album completing the recording part of the contract she originally signed.

The touring part of the contract has been debated in here some say it’s done others say she’s owes one last tour.

5 minutes ago, Confessit said:

The album will be released by Interscope.

She signed a 3 album deal so this will be the 3rd and final album completing the recording part of the contract she originally signed.

The touring part of the contract has been debated in here some say it’s done others say she’s owes one last tour.

OK. That's what I thought. That she has to release 3 albums with them. It's just that I see a lot of people on forums mentioning how "now that she's done with Interscope" all the time and got confused.

So we know what's gonna happen again like it happened with the previous 2 albums. The lead single will get some automated spins on certain US stations for a week and will completely be ignored in the rest of the world and that's it.

7 minutes ago, iasonas said:

OK. That's what I thought. That she has to release 3 albums with them. It's just that I see a lot of people on forums mentioning how "now that she's done with Interscope" all the time and got confused.

So we know what's gonna happen again like it happened with the previous 2 albums. The lead single will get some automated spins on certain US stations for a week and will completely be ignored in the rest of the world and that's it.

She signed on for 3 albums MDNA and RH were released through Interscope so this album will be the last.

Unfortunately your right. The trouble is it isn’t a traditional recording contract it’s a distribution deal which doesn’t come with the same amount of perks she got at WB in terms of radio deals and marketing.

But who knows what she’s planning I think she was very aware of RH not impacting and wants this album to do better. I think she can still have a hit and it looks like she’s hiring in some very successful current people to work on new music.

She doesn't have a proper record company to back up her promotion, Meerkat and Smirnoff Vodka will no longer do. 

The music, as much as cutting-edge and mind-blowing could be, needs to be promoted and sadly Guy O. hasn't figured that out for past 5 years.

Yes, the tours sold-out, but the public will not be as engaged/ motivated to see Madonna live just because she's Madonna, she needs to be active on charts and get that streaming going, although it's a challenge for her to crack that realm.

47 minutes ago, Kilt said:

She doesn't have a proper record company to back up her promotion, Meerkat and Smirnoff Vodka will no longer do. 

The music, as much as cutting-edge and mind-blowing could be, needs to be promoted and sadly Guy O. hasn't figured that out for past 5 years.

Yes, the tours sold-out, but the public will not be as engaged/ motivated to see Madonna live just because she's Madonna, she needs to be active on charts and get that streaming going, although it's a challenge for her to crack that realm.

That’s what worry’s me even if the music is brilliant like you say she has little to no support from the record company.

I agree with you about touring, she is selling out less now (fewer dates in city’s) because she hasn’t been impactful on the charts, a hit single this year would be the remedy over night but it seems she has no team just Guy O.

Edited by Confessit

I don't understand why she is depending on interscope? Why can't she just hire a person who is responsible for the promo campaign? If she really sold less tickets in the last couple of years she needs her songs and albums out there. As soon as the world realizes that Madonna is still at the top of the game they might spend their money to see her live. So at the end it would be a smart decision to spend more money on promo because you'll get it back when she goes on tour, no?

Just now, just!ce said:

I don't understand why she is depending on interscope? Why can't she just hire a person who is responsible for the promo campaign? If she really sold less tickets in the last couple of years she needs her songs and albums out there. As soon as the world realizes that Madonna is still at the top of the game they might spend their money to see her live. So at the end it would be a smart decision to spend more money on promo because you'll get it back when she goes on tour, no?

Is it that easy just to hire someone in though?

All roads lead back to the major record companies don’t they?

I’m naive to it but if she could I wish she would but isn’t that what her manager is suppose to do!!

My main hope is that she manages to get the first a single (previously unheard, it is possible - see Beyoncé) and video out the same day, then follow it up with another video/single and album 4 weeks later. 

Ok I know it won’t help with sales but I can’t say I’m fussed about her doing any TV this time round. Wasn't she on Ellen like everyday and still nobody gave a shit......TV just seems so beneath her!!

Mostly I just want her to do some intimate club shows....something like Tears of a Clown without the crap jokes and less messy.......in a really cool old theatre of something. 

7 minutes ago, luluthecat said:

My main hope is that she manages to get the first a single (previously unheard, it is possible - see Beyoncé) and video out the same day, then follow it up with another video/single and album 4 weeks later. 

Ok I know it won’t help with sales but I can’t say I’m fussed about her doing any TV this time round. Wasn't she on Ellen like everyday and still nobody gave a shit......TV just seems so beneath her!!

Mostly I just want her to do some intimate club shows....something like Tears of a Clown without the crap jokes and less messy.......in a really cool old theatre of something. 

The video needs to be ready to launch as soon as the song drops.....the leaks and the iTunes preview destroyed LFL having that big reveal week!

I wouldn’t say TV is beneath her, if anything it still gives her exposure the radio doesn’t so it’s a place people will hear she has new music out and listen to the new music.

Ellen was small time and it was a surprise she wasnt on the week the album was out ! 

Id love her to do a few gigs to launch the album I think an awards show performance is highly likely depending on when she releases it will be either the VMAs or the EMAs.

I would really like Eurovision/Glastonbury/Coachella.Even her peers perform at Glastonbury and its a way to reach people of all ages. 

Beyonce doesnt perform at a lot of places but when she does she makes it count and its at places like Glastonbury and Coachella.

3 minutes ago, dcbyebyebaby said:

I would really like Eurovision/Glastonbury/Coachella.Even her peers perform at Glastonbury and its a way to reach people of all ages. 

Beyonce doesnt perform at a lot of places but when she does she makes it count and its at places like Glastonbury and Coachella.

Glasto 2019 would be amazing.

I didn’t realise we would get the music this year which looks likely as she’s recording it right now so I’m guessing she will be on tour next year.

But Glastonbury is the biggest and most significant music festival in the world with a global following and if she played the converted legends spot it would a perfect opptunity to bring her to the masses again, something I feel she’s become somewhat distant from in recent years.

My guess is the album will be out this summer so I think the VMAs is extremely likely.....a huge opener with the lead single!

2 minutes ago, BrendanT1993 said:

Eurovision is in Portugal this year, could she be the halftime performance during the grand final?

Do you think the new music will be ready in time for May though?

2 hours ago, iasonas said:

Pretty much this.

Interscope Deal killed her career as a recording artist. I don't know if Live Nation is still happy with that collaboration because the demand for her shows would undeniably be stronger with a proper and more professional handling of her record releases. Really seems like no one cares. Literally. 

33 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Glasto 2019 would be amazing.

I didn’t realise we would get the music this year which looks likely as she’s recording it right now so I’m guessing she will be on tour next year.

But Glastonbury is the biggest and most significant music festival in the world with a global following and if she played the converted legends spot it would a perfect opptunity to bring her to the masses again, something I feel she’s become somewhat distant from in recent years.

My guess is the album will be out this summer so I think the VMAs is extremely likely.....a huge opener with the lead single!

Glastonbury said years ago they wouldn't have M. Hopefully they will change their minds as she'd be awesome in one of the main headline slots.

Just now, jonski43 said:

Glastonbury said years ago they wouldn't have M. Hopefully they will change their minds as she'd be awesome in one of the main headline slots.

Really?

I’m sure they would have her she would be perfect for it.

13 minutes ago, Lolo said:

Interscope Deal killed her career as a recording artist. I don't know if Live Nation is still happy with that collaboration because the demand for her shows would undeniably be stronger with a proper and more professional handling of her record releases. Really seems like no one cares. Literally. 

I wonder how Madonna feels about it as much as LN but I agree with you the demand in tickets isn’t as strong as when she originally signed and she was having global hits then in 2009.

But I have high hopes this time round as she must want something different as she put a lot of effort into RH lots of appearances but no cigar.....so I think she will look at the release strategy more.

Plus no bloody leaks!

56 minutes ago, Confessit said:

Do you think the new music will be ready in time for May though?

At least a new single could be ready followed by a second one/the album three months later (end of August).