Trump / US politics thread 🚽

Pedro

49 minutes ago, MeakMaker said:

My only fear at this stage is a terror attack on US soil. Praying it won't happen. If it happens of course ISIS will claim it as its own when in all possibility it might as well be an inside job. But regardless that would give Trump the satisfaction to say he's been acting on behalf of the American people. Honestly America is becoming the worst country in the world. Land Of The Free? 

I think it's inevitable tbh and I'm sure Trump is looking for an excuse to use the nukes.  He's been going on about them for ages

When Trump is no longer president, after many more executive orders and even supreme court decisions that revoke the civil rights of people or certain groups of people, decisions that will further cause social uproar and will inspire the civil rights movement in ways not seen in ages, he will clap on his shoulders and claim people should be thankful because he was the one who is responsible for that. This is the twisted mindset of this man. Just wait and see.

A US judge has issued a temporary halt to the deportation of visa holders or refugees stranded at airports following President Trump's executive order.

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a case in response to the order issued on Friday.

The ACLU estimates that between 100 and 200 people are being detained at airports or in transit.

Thousands of people have been protesting at US airports over Mr Trump's clampdown on immigration.

His executive order halted the entire US refugee programme and also instituted a 90-day travel ban for nationals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Those who were already mid-flight were detained on arrival - even if they held valid US visas or other immigration permits.

On Saturday, Mr Trump told reporters: "It's working out very nicely. You see it at the airports, you see it all over."

Other executive orders issued by Mr Trump on Saturday were:

• A ban on administration officials ever lobbying on behalf of a foreign government
  • An order to Defense Secretary Jim Mattis to come up with a plan within 30 days to defeat so-called Islamic State
  • Restructuring the National Security Council with a key role for senior strategist Steve Bannon

'Irreparable injury'

The ruling, from US District Judge Ann Donnelly in New York, prevented the removal from the US of people with approved refugee applications, valid visas, and "other individuals... legally authorised to enter the United States".

The emergency ruling also said there was a risk of "substantial and irreparable injury" to those affected.

Her ruling is not on the constitutionality of Mr Trump's executive order. What will happen to those still held at airports remains unclear.

"The feeling of injustice is so big, and this ban is so demeaning! Shame!" - Syrian scientist working on skin cancer research and living in Germany who now finds she cannot travel to Philadelphia in February to visit colleagues.

"Dreams shattered" - cardiology fellow from Jordan whose Syrian wife's family cannot come to visit in the US.

"We may try our chances with other countries" - Iranian professional in Washington DC, whose wife is now stuck in Iran.

US entry ban victims vent fury

Early on Sunday, the Department of Homeland Security said it would comply with judicial rulings but would continue to enforce Mr Trump's order.

The case was brought early on Saturday on behalf of two Iraqi men detained at JFK Airport in New York.

One worked for the US military in Iraq. The other is married to a former US military contract employee.

Both have now been released. Another court hearing is set for February.

Lee Gelernt, deputy legal director of the Immigrants Rights Project, who argued the case in court said that some people had been threatened with being "put back on a plane" later on Saturday.

Mr Gelernt also said the judge had ordered the government to provide a list of names of those detained under the order.

Judges elsewhere in the US have also ruled on the issue:

• An order issued in Virginia banned, for seven days, the deportation of green card holders held at Dulles Airport and ordered the authorities to allow access to lawyers
  • A Seattle judge issued an emergency stay of removal from the US for two people

In addition to those detained on arrival in the US, some air passengers were prevented from boarding US-bound flights after the order was signed.

On Saturday five Iraqi passengers and a Yemeni national were prevented from boarding a flight at Cairo airport bound for New York.

Dutch airline KLM said it had turned away seven people who were booked on US-bound flights because they would no longer have been accepted

The restriction applies to dual nationals - so, for example, a British citizen who is also a citizen of Iran would not be able to enter the US.

BBC

5 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

When Trump is no longer president, after many more executive orders and even supreme court decisions that revoke the civil rights of people or certain groups of people, decisions that will further cause social uproar and will inspire the civil rights movement in ways not seen in ages, he will clap on his shoulders and claim people should be thankful because he was the one who is responsible for that. This is the twisted mindset of this man. Just wait and see.

Raider of the Lost Ark,  I don't think he is smart enough for that but an interesting thought.   I know he is a compulsive liar and does so without any fear or show of guilt when he is continually caught out.  Everything is based on him being right and he never takes any responsibility for any wrong doing.  

In Spain our current president Rajoy already: 1. Built a wall so immigrants couldn't enter the Spanish cities in North Africa. 2. Denied climate changing and changed the politics by retiring all support to solar plants. 3. Created a law that punishes illegal demonstration and even some comments in social media. And unlike Trump, his party and lots of people from the party are either investigated because of fraud and corruption. And yet, he won a second election.

Bottom line: never under estimate the power of stupid voters, ignorant mass and fascist feelings.

And the power of alternative facts.  Because those are believed by the big chunk of voters.  I'm sure for example that if there was to be another referendum for brexit,  the result would be the same. 

China military official says war with US under Donald Trump 'becoming practical reality'

Sino-US relations are becoming more tense under America's new administration 

War with the US under Donald Trump is “not just a slogan” and becoming a “practical reality”, a senior Chinese military official has said.

The remarks were published on the People’s Liberation Army website, apparently in response to the aggressive rhetoric towards China from America's new administration.

They communicated a view from inside the Central Military Commission, which has overall authority of China’s armed forces.

Quoted in the South China Morning Post, the official from the Commission’s Defence Mobilisation Department wrote: “A war ‘within the president’s term’ or ‘war breaking out tonight’ are not just slogans, they are becoming a practical reality.”

The official also called for military deployments in the tense South and East China Seas and for a missile defence system to guard the Korean peninsula, another regional hotspot, the Post reported.

The US should also reconsider its strategy in the Asia-Pacific region, the official wrote.

Mr Trump and members of his administration have consistently voiced a hard line against China. Mr Trump has branded the country a “currency manipulator” and accusing the country of underhand trading and economic tactics.

But more significantly in security terms, Mr Trump has also ignored the US’s longstanding ‘One China’ policy, publicly engaging with the President of Taiwan, Tsai Ing-wen, in a move that was hugely antagonising for Beijing.

China strongly regards Taiwan as part of its territory and the US has tacitly respected this for decades, but Mr Trump signalled a departure from this policy. 

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has also advocated a US naval blockade of artificial Chinese islands in the South China Sea – which Beijing could interpret as an act of war. 

Further suggestions China is preparing for conflict emerged this week, with unconfirmed reports the military has moved long range missiles closer to the north east border in Heilongjiang province -- within firing range of the US.

Chinese social media has carried pictures claiming to show the Dongfeng-41 advanced intercontinental ballistic missile system near the Russian border.

Provocative state-run tabloid The Global Times suggested the People’s Liberation Army could have leaked the photos on social media as a warning to Mr Trump.

However, Chinese President Xi Jinping has also recently called for the reduction of nuclear weapons.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/china-donald-trump-war-us-military-official-practical-reality-president-latest-a7550601.html

President Trump's ban on refugees and immigrants from certain countries is shameful and cruel.

The USA has a proud history of welcoming and resettling refugees. The President can't just turn his back on this global crisis - all countries need to play their part.

While every country has the right to set its own immigration policies, this new policy flies in the face of the values of freedom and tolerance that the USA was built upon.

I'm pleased that the Prime Minister has now said she and the government do not agree with President Trump's policy, which will affect many British citizens who have dual nationality, including Londoners born in countries affected by the ban.

I will work with the government on behalf of Londoners affected.

As a nation that, like the USA, values tolerance, diversity and freedom, we cannot just shrug our shoulders and say: 'It's not our problem'.

It's like going back to the dark ages. I thought it was a joke when I read the news on social media but omg this is reality and it's scary and surreal .

6 hours ago, billiejean said:

If what we believe about Saudi is the case, it says alot that they get away with so much of it and we have to ask why? No one touches their issues, the womens rights, the lack of care for neighbours in distress... the apparent 9/11 involvement. And no, when I say get away I don't mean a battle should happen, i hate war & some people perhaps enjoy living in that religious state, they don't want American way of life, Bill Maher said something along those lines, how America presumes everyone wants to live their way, well many don't lol. (I'm certain many women don't like living under that regime however). But America who prides itself on being the land of the free..., it's interesting!

And Obama and Bush do deserve to have their name mentioned, just because Trump is president now doesn't mean the previous presidents involvement in affairs over the past 20+ or so years sinks to nothing. These roads have lead us to where we are now. Iraq was a catastrophe of epic proportions and Libya was another catastrophe. This is why in politics I don't get into this fanaticism or unwavering support that some people do, they aren't popstars . I cried happy tears for Obama when he won, it was historic but I didn't fall into the hope propaganda, and with Trump winning I didn't want to get hysterical either,  and well, I didn't see Hilary as the lesser of two evils as some did, they both had the possibility of being catostraphic, Hilary however had actions under her belt, so I can't get with the notion that 'If we voted Hilary it would all be ok' much either at all.

America has also done some irreversible destruction in Yemen, some may say the death toll is just a casualty of war, but tell that to the innocent young kids and preteens who have been killed. It possibly proves the drone strikes aren't as accurate as were lead to believe.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/11bfa1b9aa7aff95cb1f11ce2301a486/tumblr_ok5be5sK3b1qb07v0o1_540.jpg

I have really no idea what is going to happen, I'm not as smart as some of you in here, but I do know I do not support this idea of America shutting down to refugees from certain locations (all be it temporarily) at all... this is going to isolate so many people.  We might as well pray that it all works out and Donald Trump now is the bad guy but soon it will all make sense... :sadface: until then make voices heard  and also reach out to our friends across the world and let them know they are cared about, that's important.

Do you believe in inside jobs then? Are you into conspiracy theories? :wow: *thinks about making another thread*

Well, history is full of examples. Nero blamed the Christians for the burning of Rome. The Nazis blamed the communists for the burning of the Parliament House in Berlin. People have to be aware of those instances because they have to realise some political leaders would use any sort of tricks to get/stay in power. Even recently the war in Iraq could be used as another example of how our governments lie to us to fulfil their own agenda. 

But saying that let's not forget how a lot of people still stand by Trump and his drastic policies. I think that's another problem as well. 

Lol. A petition (with enough signatures to warrant parliament debate) has been made to deny Trump a visa to visit the UK next month.

7 minutes ago, Love Spent said:

I for one don't see how this temporary restriction will make the US much better off.

I thought the same thing a few years ago when a relative in my extended family had some serious visa trouble and wasn't allowed into the US because he'd visited Iraq for two months. Anyway..

When I saw this huge cry out about the Trump admin has done it jogged my memory so I looked it up.

Obama signed the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act as part of an omnibus spending bill. The legislation restricted access to the Visa Waiver Program, which allows citizens from 38 countries who are visiting the United States for less than 90 days to enter without a visa.

In February 2016, the Obama administration added Libya, Somali and Yemen to the list of countries one could not have visited — but allowed dual citizens of those countries who had not traveled there access to the Visa Waiver Program. Dual citizens of Syria, Sudan, Iraq and Iran are still ineligible, however.

So…wait. Trump signed an executive order enforcing an Obama policy?

If you can't differentiate between the two policies I'm not surprised you voted for Trump. 

16 minutes ago, Love Spent said:

I for one don't see how this temporary restriction will make the US much better off.

I thought the same thing a few years ago when a relative in my extended family had some serious visa trouble and wasn't allowed into the US because he'd visited Iraq for two months. Anyway..

When I saw this huge cry out about the Trump admin has done it jogged my memory so I looked it up.

Obama signed the Visa Waiver Program Improvement and Terrorist Travel Prevention Act as part of an omnibus spending bill. The legislation restricted access to the Visa Waiver Program, which allows citizens from 38 countries who are visiting the United States for less than 90 days to enter without a visa.

In February 2016, the Obama administration added Libya, Somali and Yemen to the list of countries one could not have visited — but allowed dual citizens of those countries who had not traveled there access to the Visa Waiver Program. Dual citizens of Syria, Sudan, Iraq and Iran are still ineligible, however.

You've gotta be kidding me

20 minutes ago, Love Spent said:

Oh please... 

read this article to clear your mind.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/no-barack-obama-jimmy-carter-9717520

56 minutes ago, spazz said:

Christians? Trump and his minions shouldn't be allowed to say the word Christians. Jesus must be so disappointed in him. Theres nothing Christian about Trump and his policies. They're the anti Christ! Trump & his supporters and ISIS are the two sides of the same coin called evil.

White House discussing asking foreign visitors for social media info and cell phone contacts

Washington (CNN)Amid the chaos and confusion of President Donald Trump's new executive order on immigration and refugees, sources tell CNN that White House policy director Stephen Miller spoke with officials of the State Department, Customs and Border Patrol, Department of Homeland Security and others to tell them that the President is deeply committed to the executive order and the public is firmly behind it -- urging them not to get distracted by what he described as hysterical voices on TV.

Miller also noted on Saturday that Trump administration officials are discussing the possibility of asking foreign visitors to disclose all websites and social media sites they visit, and to share the contacts in their cell phones. If the foreign visitor declines to share such information, he or she could be denied entry. Sources told CNN that the idea is just in the preliminary discussion level. The social media posts calling for jihad by San Bernardino terrorist Tashfeen Malik -- made under a pseudonym and with strict privacy settings -- are part of this discussion. How such a policy would be implemented remains under discussion.

Miller praised the State Department on Saturday, sources tell CNN, but argued that the government needs to do better job of making sure the people who come into the US embrace American values.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer did not respond to a request for comment.
Already, Politico reported in December, the US government had quietly begun asking that foreign visitors provide their social media accounts voluntarily. The Obama administration had previously approved asking for much more information from people on terror watch lists, The Intercept reported in 2014.
Trump's executive order bars citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States for the next 90 days and suspends the admission of all refugees for 120 days.
Trump's unilateral moves, which have drawn the ire of human rights groups and prompted protests at US airports, reflect the President's desire to quickly make good on his campaign promises. But they also encapsulate the pitfalls of an administration largely operated by officials with scant federal experience.
It wasn't until Friday -- the day Trump signed the order banning travel from seven Muslim-majority countries for 90 days and suspending all refugee admission for 120 days -- that career homeland security staff were allowed to see the final details of the order, a person familiar with the matter said.
The result was widespread confusion across the country on Saturday as airports struggled to adjust to the new directives. In New York, two Iraqi nationals sued the federal government after they were detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport, and 10 others were detained as well.