Women’s March on Washington time 21 Jan 2017

Gaudet

Women’s March on Washington time, where to watch live, and what to expect

The weekend after Inauguration Day, potentially hundreds of thousands of people will protest Donald Trump’s presidency.

Donald Trump is officially president of the United States. A lot of people are not happy about that fact. And on Saturday, January 21, potentially hundreds of thousands plan to show their discontent in the nation’s capital through the Women’s March on Washington.

The march may draw more attendees than Inauguration Day. As of Thursday, fewer than 400 buses had applied for parking permits on Inauguration Day and 1,200 buses had applied for permits the day after, when the Women’s March will take place.

Comparisons to Inauguration Day aside, the event stands to be huge on its own: As of Friday afternoon, more than 220,000 people had committed to going on Facebook — making it by far the biggest planned protest around inauguration.

If you’re not attending the march but still want to follow along, here’s what you can expect.

Schedule

The rally and march are on Saturday, January 21, 2017.

The rally is scheduled to last between 10 am Eastern and 1:15 pm at the intersection of Independence Avenue and Southwest Third Street, near the US Capitol.

The march is scheduled to begin at 1:15 pm. It will start from the rally point, then proceed down the National Mall to the Ellipse, a large public park south of the White House and north of the Washington Monument. It’s estimated to last until about 5 pm.

How to watch

March organizers will stream the event live and provide updates on YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter.

Major news outlets will also likely show parts of the event on TV and online, including Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, and NBC News. You may need to log in to your TV provider to access online streams.

What to expect

The Women’s March on Washington is a grassroots response to Trump’s unexpected electoral victory over Hillary Clinton, who was the first major party female candidate in US history.

The march, as its name indicates, is largely about the gender dynamics behind Trump’s rise and Clinton’s loss. But it’s also adopted a broader progressive platform — one that includes a variety of issues, such as freedom from sexual violence, ending police brutality, and immigrant and refugee rights.

And despite the name, the march is welcome to anyone — men, women, and those who identify outside the spectrum. Above all, it’s about resisting Trump.

As part of the rally and march, organizers have scheduled a long list of speakers whom they say “cut a wide swath across racial justice, reproductive rights, immigrant rights, LGBTQAI, and environmental communities, which reflects the March’s inclusive platform.”

Here’s the full list of speakers: Cecile Richards, Erika Andiola, Ilyasah Shabazz, J. Bob Alotta, Janet Mock, LaDonna Harris, Maryum Ali, Melanie Campbell, Rabbi Sharon Brous, Rhea Suh, Sister Simone Campbell, Sophie Cruz, Zahra Billoo, America Ferrera, Angela Davis, Gloria Steinem, Ashley Judd, Scarlett Johansson, Melissa Harris-Perry, Michael Moore, Amanda Nguyen, Randi Weingarten, Van Jones, George Gresham, Mothers of the Movement (Sybrina Fulton, Lucy McBath, Maria Hamilton, Gwen Carr), Hina Naveed, Judith LaBlanc, Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner, Aida Hurtado, Melissa Mays, Raquel Willis, Rosyln Brock, Sister Ieasha Prime, Mayor Muriel Bowser, Ai-jen Poo, Wendy Carrillo, Dr. Cynthia Hale, and the march co-chairs Bob Bland, Carmen Perez, Linda Sarsour, and Tamika Mallory.

There are also a lot of scheduled musical performances: Janelle Monáe, Maxwell, and Angelique Kidjo are the headline names, but the list also includes Toshi Reagon, Samantha Ronson, Emily Wells, DJ Rekha, MC Lyte, St. Beauty, Beverly Bond, Alia Sharief, DJ Rimarkable, Amber Coffman, the Indigo Girls, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and Climbing PoeTree.

Some logistical concerns have also come up, with some strict rules applied to rallies and marches like this one. Only small bags are allowed. Backpacks are not allowed unless they’re clear, so police and other security officers can see what’s in them. And only a one-gallon plastic bag is allowed for food. For more information, you can read the official Women’s March FAQ.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/1/20/14339906/womens-march-trump-time-live-stream-watch-tv

To know, to feel that I'm not alone in my beliefs fills my eyes with tears and my heart with joy. 

Yes we need to make ourselves heard and not let the ancient world take over the new one. They had a chance for thousands of years and they failed miserably. 

The world needs to move forward NOT backwards. 

#BridgesNotWalls

1 minute ago, MeakMaker said:

To know, to feel that I'm not alone in my beliefs fills my eyes with tears and my heart with joy. 

Yes we need to make ourselves heard and not let the ancient world take over the new one. They had a chance for thousands of years and they failed miserably. 

#BridgesNotWalls

That's the spirit man! :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, MeakMaker said:

#BridgesNotWalls

👍

Canadians traveling to Women's March denied US entry after sharing plans

After telling border agents their plans to march, group’s cars were searched and phones examined, and each person was fingerprinted and had their photo taken

Would-be protesters heading to the Women’s March on Washington have said they were denied entry to the United States after telling border agents at a land crossing in Quebec their plans to attend the march.

Montrealer Sasha Dyck was part of a group of eight who had arranged online to travel together to Washington. Divided into two cars, the group – six Canadians and two French nationals – arrived at the border crossing that connects St Bernard de Lacolle in Quebec with Champlain, New York, on Thursday.

The group was upfront about their plans with border agents, Dyck said. “We said we were going to the women’s march on Saturday and they said, ‘Well, you’re going to have to pull over’.”

What followed was a two-hour ordeal. Their cars were searched and their mobile phones examined. Each member of the group was fingerprinted and had their photo taken.

Border agents first told the two French citizens that they had been denied entry to the US and informed them that any future visit to the US would now require a visa.

“Then for the rest of us, they said, ‘You’re headed home today’,” Dyck said. The group was also warned that if they tried to cross the border again during the weekend, they would be arrested. “And that was it, they didn’t give a lot of justification.”

Dyck described it as a sharp contrast to 2009, when the research nurse made the same journey to attend Barack Obama’s inauguration. “I couldn’t even get in for this one, whereas at the other one, the guy at the border literally gave me a high five when I came in and everybody was just like, ‘welcome’. The whole city was partying; nobody was there to protest Obama the first time.”

UK national Joe Kroese said he, a Canadian and two Americans were held at the same border crossing for three hours on Thursday.

The group had travelled from Montreal, where 23-year-old Kroese is studying, and had explained to border agents that they were considering attending the Women’s March but had yet to finalise their plans.

After being questioned, fingerprinted and photographed, Kroese and his Canadian companion were refused entry because they were planning to attend what the border agent called a “potentially violent rally”, he said. The pair was advised not to travel to the United States for a few months, and Kroese was told he would now need a visa to enter the US.

After an attempted crossing late Thursday, Montreal resident Joseph Decunha said he was also turned away. He and the two Americans he was with told the border agent that they were planning to attend the inauguration and the women’s march.

The group was brought in for secondary processing, where the border agent asked about their political views, Decunha told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. “The first thing he asked us point blank is, ‘Are you anti- or pro-Trump?’”

After being fingerprinted and photographed he was told that his two friends could enter the US, but that he could not. “They told me I was being denied entry for administrative reasons. According to the agent, my travelling to the United States for the purpose of protesting didn’t constitute a valid reason to cross,” Decunha said.

He described the experience – particularly the questions he fielded about his political beliefs – as concerning. “It felt like, if we had been pro-Trump, we would have absolutely been allowed entry.”

US Customs and Border Protection said it could not discuss individual cases, citing privacy reasons. “We recognize that there is an important balance to strike between securing our borders while facilitating the high volume of legitimate trade and travel that crosses our borders every day, and we strive to achieve that balance and show the world that the United States is a welcoming nation,” it said in an email to the Guardian.

On a daily basis, more than 1 million individuals are admitted into the United States at its air, land and sea ports, the agency noted. An average of 600 people a day – less than a tenth of 1% of those admitted – are denied entry for a varied list of reasons that include prohibited activities or intent as well as national security concerns.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/20/womens-march-canada-protesters-denied-entry-us