GOOD NEWS! The Giant Panda is no longer endangered

Guest Rachelle of London

Guest Rachelle of London

Giant pandas rebound off endangered list

_91022912_mediaitem91022911.jpgImage copyrightAFPImage captionDecades of conservation efforts have led to a rebound in the number of giant pandas

The giant panda is no longer an endangered species, following decades of work by conservationists to save it.

The official status of the much-loved animal has been changed from "endangered" to "vulnerable" because of a population rebound in China.

The change was announced as part of an update to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List.

Efforts by China, which claims the giant panda as its national animal, have brought its numbers back from the brink. The latest estimates show a population of 1,864 adults.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-37272718

Guest Rachelle of London

And in the process many other animals have gone extinct or moved down on the list

Yes but still good news for the giant panda and shows that new Chinese regulations are working. They didnt expect such a growth in such a small amount of time.

Yes but still good news for the giant panda and shows that new Chinese regulations are working. They didnt expect such a growth in such a small amount of time.

But also an unfair amount of public funds goes to save cute cuddly animals while hundreds of others like certain species of sharks get ignored and go extinct in the process.

Wildlife expert Chris Packham talks all about. He says the panda should die out and people hate him for it :lmao:

Quebec beluga whales is officialy listed as endangered since last week :(

957874-beluga-high-resolution.jpeg

So beautiful

I remember when a beluga made its way down to the Delaware river. It was pandemonium. People would pull over on the side of the road in hopes of getting a glimpse

I do hate when animals become endangered. :( there's so many on that list

Giant pandas rebound off endangered list

_91022912_mediaitem91022911.jpgImage copyrightAFPImage captionDecades of conservation efforts have led to a rebound in the number of giant pandas

The giant panda is no longer an endangered species, following decades of work by conservationists to save it.

The official status of the much-loved animal has been changed from "endangered" to "vulnerable" because of a population rebound in China.

The change was announced as part of an update to the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List.

Efforts by China, which claims the giant panda as its national animal, have brought its numbers back from the brink. The latest estimates show a population of 1,864 adults.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-37272718

don't tell it to Donald Trump

But 1800 doesn't sound good for me! There should be millions of pandas!

Yes, I think once a species gets to 500 it's doomed. I think there has to be a certain number to avoid inbreeding and certain extinction but it's going in the right direction.