Russell Square stabbing in London, American woman killed

Guest Rachelle of London

Guest Rachelle of London

Yes 19 year old Somali man from Norway.

SLAP BANG In the middle of London, the same site where the bus was bombed on 7/7. So many eyewitnesses. It's sad.

Guest Rachelle of London

One of the other 5 victims is on life support. They're just a bunch of tourists from Israel and Australia. It's so sad.

It's sad. But what is really pathetic, is in the US this would not even be a major story. People get stabbed or shot on a daily basis, and it's only reported in the fine print in the back of the Metro section of the paper. In the US. sadly we've become used to this kind of violence.

Guest Rachelle of London

It's sad. But what is really pathetic, is in the US this would not even be a major story. People get stabbed or shot on a daily basis, and it's only reported in the fine print in the back of the Metro section of the paper. In the US. sadly we've become used to this kind of violence.

Glinda I've posted before saying that stabbings in the UK are quite common especially in London but this is getting so much press because it happened in the same place/spot as the London bombings 11 years ago. I imagine if a group of people were attacked at Ground Zero it would make the news. It's sad but a lot of people are desensitised to these sort of attacks because they happen so often all over the world.

There are many many stabbings happening in Paris that are not reported by the press, most of the cases are migrants with mental health issues. The last one was the son of police comissionary in Morrocco who illegally came to France and who attacked a guy with an oyster knife in a bar in the outskirts of Paris. Just like the killer in Nice he had mental health problems back home and his family sent him to France.....

I'm pretty sure the same stories are happening all over Europe.

I didn't start one as it said they think it was someone with mental health issues although terrorism is a possibility.

I feel guilty if I feel it's a race to report on the latest 'terrorist' incident on the internet as some kind of 'exclusive'

I'm sorry, i feel like my last comment was a bit racist and unsensitive to what happenned in Russel Sq. It's just that we are working at the moment on an article about these stabbings (France, Germany, England mostly) and in most of the cases it was due to mental health. Our government sent a mission to evaluate migrants in centers following many attacks and they realized that a lot of migrants had prior mental health issues before coming to Europe while some others are facing nervous breakdowns due to their awful journey and the deception, rejection and difficulties they face in Europe. Some are losing it. Which is understandable after leaving their countries and being in a totally foreign place, living under bridges, scared to be chased, sent back or worst etc...

It really is a big mess. We were unprepared to welcome all these people decently.

Hillary Clinton must be asked about this. She went to war in Libya, got rid of Gaddafi without a plan.

The more i talk with people from NGO's about the matter, the more i think we should forever stop to intervene in these countries. I was too young during the Gulf War but i remember Iraq, the mistake that this was. Libya is another one.

The problem is, people in charge, politics etc... most of them make their fortune with oil or gas or people who do are strong lobbys. This help us from moving forward, to drop oil and gas as our sources of energy because this would completly change not only our environment but the way we deal with the middle east. If it was not for oil we would have never go there and got involved in endless local wars.

What we are facing now are just the consequences of the policies put in place by the CIA and our governments in the 60's and 70's (but we can also go back to colonial times) to put our hands on oil and gas.

To tell you the truth, since Nice i don't feel safe anymore here. I don't feel protected and i think my government is not doing what it should be doing to stop this. Going after the way mosquees are run is looking at the wrong source of the problem. Most terrorists never set foot in a mosquee. The problem is internet, that's where they get their contacts. We have enough geeks and ingeneers to control this shit even the darknet. The other problem is to make these people stop feeling like rejects of our society. Our policies on immigration and integration is a catastrophe. It breads terrorists. When you have nothing to lose, you don't care about anything or anyone anymore.

Please read this interview and the links in the interview :

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/rukmini-callimachi-new-york-times-isis/

Guest Rachelle of London

A lot of the people doing these acts are not migrants though. The guy last night was born and bred in Norway. The Lee Rigby killers were born and raised in south London. One of them was 3rd generation British. The argument about mental health affecting migrants I completely understand and a lot of the kids that are coming over are so mentally scarred it's beyond repair but most of these attacks are being conducted by European nationals not migrants.

Guest Rachelle of London

The woman that died was a professor teaching summer classes in London and was due to fly back home with her husband Thursday morning. They were enjoying their last meal in London when she was senselessly killed.

A lot of the people doing these acts are not migrants though. The guy last night was born and bred in Norway. The Lee Rigby killers were born and raised in south London. One of them was 3rd generation British. The argument about mental health affecting migrants I completely understand and a lot of the kids that are coming over are so mentally scarred it's beyond repair but most of these attacks are being conducted by European nationals not migrants.

Yes that's what i meant by controlling the net and changing our integration policies. The Kouachi brothers were born french but in France we have a problem of what we can call modern segregation, second and third generations of immigrants descendants face work and social discrimination, they are rejected for not being white enough, for their names, where they live....it starts with the school system in the suburbs of Paris not having the same means as schools within the cities and same access to culture etc...it prevents to build a cohesive nation, a feeling of belonging to the same world. It's a very elitist society we live in. And when you are born in a country that sees you as a foreigner is nerve wrecking, especially when you went to extra lenght to get an educatio, went to uni etc...that's why i say our society builds terrorists, they just find somebody to listen to the anger of those who are rejected for things they can't change no matter what they do, we breed this anger, people with an agenda use to this anger, put things in their heads to explain the reject they face.

The current wave of racism nurtured by these attacks is playing against us because it's only making what was problematic in our society worst.

The way mental health is treated AND regarded (see the mocking of Sinead O Connor) in our society is another problem. Hospitals don't have the means to treat and help everybody and the way the world is going more and more people are losing it. The economic crisis created the constant fear of not being safe (losing your job, your flat....trying to get new ones...)

You are so spot on Roland. Very difficult to solve but the first step is to find where part of the problem started.

Just part, though, because others were rise the same and are good and honest people now