Britain votes in favor for Brexit

XXL

Guest Rachelle of London

People would have SOOOO much more respect for Cameron if he ran the remain campaign with some tact. You expect the leave campaign to be ruthless and nasty, come on its fronted by Farage and Boris but Cameron's ridiculous lies about nuclear wars and arranging deals that will grant jobless Brits jobs if we stay is just ludicrous. Stop scaring people about the loss of less than a 10th of a penny.

I think it'll be Remain but it will be very close. That and the whole fiasco with the voter registration extension will basically mean that the Brexit campaign will get another referendum through.

People would have SOOOO much more respect for Cameron if he ran the remain campaign with some tact. You expect the leave campaign to be ruthless and nasty, come on its fronted by Farage and Boris but Cameron's ridiculous lies about nuclear wars and arranging deals that will grant jobless Brits jobs if we stay is just ludicrous. Stop scaring people about the loss of less than a 10th of a penny.

😂😂😂

Nuclear war if we leave. We will probably have ten years of bad sex if we leave.

Can someone give me a quick run down on what the benefits are by being part of the EU?

As a member of the EU businesses have access to the biggest single market in the world without any borders. It's like a huge trade agreement among all the countries that are part of the EU. Within the EU every citizen of the EU has the right to move freely and work wherever he or she wants to. No permits or visa needed. The EU subsidizes a lot of industries, most importantly agriculture that might be not competitive enough worldwide. This is actually a huge issue for the British farmers. A lot of them may go out of business without the subsidies. The EU is partially funding transportation and culture projects.

All of this is paid by money that comes from the member states. A certain percentage of the GDP (?) goes to Brussels. Many countries do believe the system is unfair and feel that they only pay for the EU but never get anything back. And we are talking billions and billions here. Germany pays around 15 billion per year, France around 7 billion, the UK around 5 billion per year. Per citizen the Dutch pay the most before Sweden and Germany.

This is probably a dumb question but since I'm from the US, I don't follow British and European politics all that closely. But why do people in the UK want to leave the EU?

Is there an anti-immigrant sentiment to it? Do some people in the UK not want to have their fair share of migrants and immigrants from the Middle East who come into EU countries from Syria and Iraq? Or is the main reason something else?

Actually I like the idea of EU

There are no more borders, so I can drive with my car whereever I want without waiting for hours at the border for costums duty check.

Also I can go to another country and find a job there, of course you have to know the language and have the skills.

Concerning the law, the EU made it for customers way more easy in the economy, esp. if you want to retour your purchase online, or at the labour law. I think there are good changes.

Of course, the national legal autonomy is suffering a bit from european jurisprudence.

But I think all of this Brexit story is more political, and I hope UK wont leave the EU.

This is probably a dumb question but since I'm from the US, I don't follow British and European politics all that closely. But why do people in the UK want to leave the EU?

Is there an anti-immigrant sentiment to it? Do some people in the UK not want to have their fair share of migrants and immigrants from the Middle East who come into EU countries from Syria and Iraq? Or is the main reason something else?

It's basically about the money. The UK is just like most Northern European countries a so called Net Payer. That means they pay more money to the EU than they get in return. Billions of Euros. In times when the government has to save because of the National debt they have to cut social and healtcare services in result. That makes a lot of people angry. One of the arguments is that all those money could be put into the NHS. The immigration crisis is just a small part of it. At least in the UK. They hardly took any refugees from Syria. And I find the sentiment almost ridiculous considering the long history of the UK when it comes to immigration because of the Commonwealth. I would like to argue that there is no other country in the world that is so diverse on nationalities. Furthermore the UK needs immigration. Let's face it, they are jobs in certain industries (the low paid ones of course) that no Brit (or German or Austrian) would apply for. If you have been to London in recent years and stayed at a hotel you will have problems to find a British staff member. Just one example.

Actually I like the idea of EU

There are no more borders, so I can drive with my car whereever I want without waiting for hours at the border for costums duty check.

Also I can go to another country and find a job there, of course you have to know the language and have the skills.

Concerning the law, the EU made it for customers way more easy in the economy, esp. if you want to retour your purchase online, or at the labour law. I think there are good changes.

Of course, the national legal autonomy is suffering a bit from european jurisprudence.

But I think all of this Brexit story is more political, and I hope UK wont leave the EU.

It's all true what you said. I think people are just tired of the EU because of the feeling that the European parliament and commission are not really doing their job. Take care of the important things. Instead they pass laws or regulations about lightbulbs and the shape of a cucumber.

It's basically about the money. The UK is just like most Northern European countries a so called Net Payer. That means they pay more money to the EU than they get in return. Billions of Euros. In times when the government has to save because of the National debt they have to cut social and healtcare services in result. That makes a lot of people angry. One of the arguments is that all those money could be put into the NHS. The immigration crisis is just a small part of it. At least in the UK. They hardly took any refugees from Syria. And I find the sentiment almost ridiculous considering the long history of the UK when it comes to immigration because of the Commonwealth. I would like to argue that there is no other country in the world that is so diverse on nationalities. Furthermore the UK needs immigration. Let's face it, they are jobs in certain industries (the low paid ones of course) that no Brit (or German or Austrian) would apply for. If you have been to London in recent years and stayed at a hotel you will have problems to find a British staff member. Just one example.

Thanks. That's very interesting. In the US, we have the same issue. A lot of conservatives and Republicans complain about foreign aid and how the US pays for the defense of countries like Japan without getting anything in return and how these countries should pay for more of their own defense.

That's a big part of Donald Trump's whole Make American Great Again thing. Basically, don't care about or support other countries.

But to me that's crazy, since we are all one world and more global and connected than we ever have been.

It's all true what you said. I think people are just tired of the EU because of the feeling that the European parliament and commission are not really doing their job. Take care of the important things. Instead they pass laws or regulations about lightbulbs and the shape of a cucumber.

not to menation the banana size and prohibition of lamps in order to use enegery saving white lights

Guest Rachelle of London

You won't find a Brit doing certain jobs because employers can hire Eastern Europeans and pay them pennies. The farce that is told to us about the EU being fairer for the working person is ridiculous. Unemployment across Europe is at an all time record high. All these jobs that Cameron and Merkel are going to create for us all are gonna be fantastic :lmao:

The leave campaign is ALL ABOUT anti-immigration (of EU members) It's also the number one issue that comes up from just about everyone who gets asked about it.

Guest Rachelle of London

You can have a poll in all countries at the moment. They will all say each country wants to leave. The reputation of the EU is at an all time low.

The whole thing needs an overhaul. The EU model is completely archaic even for France and Germany. Without even taking into account the last 10 years. The poor Mediterranean countries for example. I did read that The Dutch are pushing for referendum. I think with Britain having one they'll push more.

By the way there is just a documentary on ARTE about the Brexit. And seriously some of those in favor of a Brexit are simplifying the things as if there were no consequences. This one guy is mad if he thinks the UK will be able to do trade with the rest of the EU just the same way as before. Interestingly another one said that the UK does automatically have a trade agreement with 57 other countries in the world because the EU negotiated those agreements. If the UK leaves the EU they will need to re-negotiate with all those countries.

By the way there is just a documentary on ARTE about the Brexit. And seriously some of those in favor of a Brexit are simplifying the things as if there were no consequences. This one guy is mad if he thinks the UK will be able to do trade with the rest of the EU just the same way as before. Interestingly another one said that the UK does automatically have a trade agreement with 57 other countries in the world because the EU negotiated those agreements. If the UK leaves the EU they will need to re-negotiate with all those countries.

Exactly, its not as easy as they think. This has never been before and noone knows what the consequences are going to be for both parts !

I just hope Brexit will be legitim after august, because I wanna visit London. So I dont want to wait for 2 hours at Heathrow for the pass check. :p

The leave campaign is ALL ABOUT anti-immigration (of EU members) It's also the number one issue that comes up from just about everyone who gets asked about it.

Something I personally do not understand. Because I don't see the UK having a real immigration problem. I think this issue is used because it plays with the fear of people, it's an emotional thing. That works better. But I still believe the true reason is the money.

Yes, I had that idea. I don't follow it that closely but people who were tweeting about how they wanted the UK to leave also had really anti-immigrant things to say.

Exactly, its not as easy as they think. This has never been before and noone knows what the consequences are going to be for both parts !

I just hope Brexit will be legitim after august, because I wanna visit London. So I dont want to wait for 2 hours at Heathrow for the pass check. :p

From what I have heard it takes around two years to get the Brexit done. They can't cut ties the day after the polls. That would mean chaos. So I doubt you'll have to wait 2 hours at Heathrow.

Guest Rachelle of London

The remain campaign is fronted by David Cameron, the man that wants to kick 200,000 refugees out the country and wants to stop non British children from receiving child benefits. Something which the EU backed today didn't they? That really sounds pro immigration doesn't it.

:rotfl:

You won't find a Brit doing certain jobs because employers can hire Eastern Europeans and pay them pennies. The farce that is told to us about the EU being fairer for the working person is ridiculous. Unemployment across Europe is at an all time record high. All these jobs that Cameron and Merkel are going to create for us all are gonna be fantastic :lmao:

Well, the unemployment rate in certain countries is at an all time low and you have indeed problems to find workers in industries that only pay minimum wages or slightly more. I mentioned the hospitality industry because that is what I know about. Positions are filled with people from Spain or Eastern Europe because in their home countries the unemployment is so incredibly high that they have to move to the UK, Germany or Austria. They will accept those jobs that hardly pay the bills.

That some employers also do illegal stuff (paying well below minimum wage and ignoring all kinds of labr laws) is another issue. Unfortunately those poor and desperate people from Eastern Europe even accept jobs like that and keep their mouths shut when they should call authorities and file a complaint and those employers be indicted. But they don't because then they would lose their jobs as well. It's a vicious cycle.

There are many positives in the EU and the first one is that the yesterdays enemies (UK Germany France etc) are in the same club and working together. Sure UK is paying more DIRECTLY that its getting but indirectly its (mainly the economy) is benefitting greatly from the EU market... Why? The British goods flow though 28 countries tax-free killing the competition. But then again if UK decides to leave I d want to see Brussels being strick with them, cause in the end they chose to be on their own...

Guest Rachelle of London

There are many positives in the EU and the first one is that the yesterdays enemies (UK Germany France etc) are in the same club and working together. Sure UK is paying more DIRECTLY that its getting but indirectly its (mainly the economy) is benefitting greatly from the EU market... Why? The British goods flow though 28 countries tax-free killing the competition. But then again if UK decides to leave I d want to see Brussels being strick with them, cause in the end they chose to be on their own...

Exactly my viewpoint.

Something I personally do not understand. Because I don't see the UK having a real immigration problem. I think this issue is used because it plays with the fear of people, it's an emotional thing. That works better. But I still believe the true reason is the money.

Well yes, that's my personal viewpoint as well, but it's not the prevailing and orchestrated view being propagated out there, especially among the, how shall we say... great unwashed.

"I'm sick 'n tired of all them damn foreigners comin' over 'ere and takin' all our JOBS (wiping old people's arses and cleaning the streets for £6.50 an hour)"

Guest Rachelle of London

The most vocal of those people don't even work, let alone vote. They just spew hatred in between the ad breaks on channel 5.

Are there any parrellels between the UK leaving the EU and the recent vote for Scotland to leave the UK? Are any of the arguments to leave or stay the same? Any if the UK do leave the EU does that mean Scotland will vote for independence again to decide if they would rather be part of the EU as opposed to the UK?