Pegida activists protest at images of non-white German footballers on Kinder bars

XXL

Pegida activists protest at images of non-white German footballers on Kinder bars

Supporters of Germany’s anti-immigration movement Pegida have expressed outrage that the blue-eyed blond boys on the packaging of Kinder chocolate bars are being replaced by children of African and Middle Eastern appearance – seemingly unaware that they are childhood photographs of players in their own national football team.

A photograph of two boxes of the chocolate bar – one carrying a childhood portrait of Gelsenkirchen-born midfielder Ilkay Gündogan, the other of Berlin-born defender Jérôme Boateng – were shared last week on the Facebook page of the Bodensee branch of the anti-refugee protest movement.

“They don’t stop at anything,” said the original post. “Can you really buy them like that, or is that a joke?” Another commenter wrote: “Surely that’s a fake?!???”

“They are really trying to trick us into accepting every kind of rubbish as normal, poor Germany,” said another post.

Cattura40_zpso0xevpdq.jpg

Others called for a boycott of the chocolate bars, which are produced by the Italian manufacturer Ferrero. One wrote: “If that’s the case, I won’t be buying it any more.”

Some commenters tried to draw attention to the fact that the packaging was only a marketing stunt designed to tie the product in with the upcoming European Football Championship in France. “Dear folks, firstly Ferrero is an Italian manufacturer, and secondly, where do think they get the cocoa from to make the chocolate with?” said one.

But many of Pegida’s supporters evidently felt discomfited by non-white players representing Germany at football internationals. “You mean ‘die Mannschaft’ [a nickname for the German team]? There’s nothing national about them any more.”

“These are gladiators – therefore slaves – who don’t play for Germany out of conviction, but only for the money.”

Pegida’s name is an abbreviation for Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the West.

Ferrero has now commented on the story, which has been widely covered on German news websites, saying in a statement on its Facebook page: “Ferrero would like to expressly distance itself from all kinds of xenophobia and discrimination.”

Until 2011, Germany internationals featured in a series of ads for the cocoa spread Nutella, also produced by Ferrero. Because many players featured in the ads saw their international careers nosedive soon after, the tie-in became colloquially known as the “Nutella curse”.

Of the players featured on the special-edition Kinder chocolates, at least two – Gündogan and Leverkusen midfielder Christoph Kramer – will miss out on this year’s tournament due to injury or non-selection.

:manson::manson:

Europe right now is on the veirge of BIG PROBLEMS. There are nowadays 3 lines of thoughts

1. Become a racist and all nazi (Hungary, Poland, Germany, Austria, France)

2. Abandone the EU (United Kingdom, Netherlands) (this one in part is related to the first, because many defenders or going out of the EU is because of racist and classist reasons)

3. Break the system by voting to radical parties (Greece, Spain)

Imagine yourself in 2120, for example, reading a history book. And thinking "how on Earth those stupid EU institutions didn't see the big problem that was going to happen???"

Oh, i'm one of those who is voting to radicals. I want the system to EXPLODE.

The thing is that this protest is already a PR desaster for Pegida. Just as some stupid remarks made by an AFD politician (who said many racist things but never can remember afterwords) about a Boateng. It's backfiring big time. The National Football team is like the Holy Grail of Germany. Even those who are against immigration and refugees may find this is going to far. Shows how non-sensical the situation is. Anyway, I wouldn't be surpised if this fucking AFD gets a 20% vote with next years general elections. And they should thank Angela Merkel and her government including Sigmar Gabriel the leader of the social democrats for those results. And this is not necessarily about the refugee crisis. So many things that people are tired of. I think the whole Europe situation is even a bigger issue than the refugees. Fact is that the ECB and its zero percent interest policy is destroying the pension plans for millions of citizens and will leave many of them poor and reliable on the government in the future. The problem is that many can't even switch to other investments like real estate because most of it has become unaffordable in the last two years. Thanks to the rich people and the rest of Europe and Russia and China, all real estate is bought at unrealistic prices. A safe haven for their money. I have no doubt that much of it comes from rather questionable sources. I hope this bubble will explode at some point. Serves them right.