Oklahoma Legislature Passes Bill Making it a Felony to Perform Abortions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/05/19/oklahoma-legislature-passes-bill-making-it-a-felony-to-perform-abortions/

By Mark Berman May 19 at 5:40 PM
Here's what you need to know about a piece of legislation passed in the Oklahoma House and Senate May 19 that would make it illegal for doctors to perform abortions that weren't necessary to save the life of the mother. (Sarah Parnass/The Washington Post)

Lawmakers in Oklahoma approved a bill Thursday that would make performing abortions a felony and revoke the medical licenses of any physician who assists in such a procedure.

This sweeping measure, which opponents described as unconstitutional and unprecedented, now heads to Gov. Mary Fallin ®. She will have five days to decide whether to sign the bill, veto it or allow it to become law without her signature, and her office did not immediately respond to a request Thursday about her plans.

The Oklahoma bill is the first such measure of its kind, according to the Center for Reproductive Rights, which says that other states seeking to ban abortion have simply banned the procedure rather than attaching penalties like this.

According to the measure, known as Senate Bill 1552, a person who performs or induces an abortion will be guilty of a felony and punished with between one and three years in the state penitentiary.’

Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin, left, has not said if she plans to sign the bill. (Sue Ogrocki/AP)

This legislation also says that any physician who participates in an abortion — deemed “unprofessional conduct” in the bill — will be “prohibited from obtaining or renewing a license to practice medicine in this state.” However, medical licenses will not be stripped from doctors who perform abortions deemed necessary to save the mother’s life.

[Yes, hospitals perform abortions. This D.C. doctor says her hospital won’t let her talk about it]

The bill passed the Oklahoma House of Representatives with a vote of 59-to-9 last month. On Thursday, the state’s senate passed it with a vote of 33-to-12.

“Since I believe life begins at conception, it should be protected, and I believe it’s a core function of state government to defend that life from the beginning of conception,” State Sen. Nathan Dahm, a Republican who represents Tulsa County, told the Associated Press.

Dahm said he hopes the Oklahoma measure could eventually lead to the overturning of Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision that recognized a woman’s right to an abortion.

Dawn Laguens, executive vice president of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, said last mont that the Oklahoma bill is “a ban on abortion, plain and simple.” The legislation sent to Fallin on Thursday “is reckless and dangerous,” according to Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America.

The US and ALL it's 'priorities' have one completely off the chart/planet bat shit insane! *People out of work or close to it, people sick or close to dying due to lack of healthcare on any level, broken bridges, roads, education, terrorists etc etc..yet these bigoted bible thumping bastards are 1000% consumed w/ the gays, who is loving or fucking who, and women's bodies.

An attempt to make the Presidential election even more of a referendum on the future makeup of the Supreme Court than it already is, if the possibility of striking down Roe v. Wade is seen as within reach.

Guest Mauro

An attempt to make the Presidential election even more of a referendum on the future makeup of the Supreme Court than it already is, if the possibility of striking down Roe v. Wade is seen as within reach.

Exactly!

By all means pressed Bernie supporters mad that Hillary is the nominee (AND I AM ONE! not pressed but, a Bernie supporter :lol:). Vote Trump or waste your vote on some 3rd party or write in. Go ahead. Get back to me in 2 years when President Trump has turned this country into a total backwoods shithole.

Very disappointing that in 2016 women's reproduction rights are being taken away.

Reproduction rights are not being 'taken away' ...yet.

More than likely (and hopefully) it will not pass through the Supreme Court and will be voted as unconstitutional. The state of Oklahoma cannot overturn a federal law. But, they're trying to.

It has to be considered unconstitutional, because the right to a medically supervised termination has been federally legal since 1973 in the United States.

*See Roe v. Wade on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade

However!! This IS another attempt by the far religious right to try to overturn Roe v. Wade.

It's another statement from the far right trying to tell me that they want "small government" but on their terms. Fucking hypocrites.

Leave my body alone!

The far right is losing TOTAL control and like the rats on the Titantic or any sinking ship or whatever/wherever they are in full off the deep end extreme/panic red alert mode. As hilarious and entertaining (this very second) as it is, IF Trump or something as nasty gets in they'll actually have a serious shot at that last minute 9th life that could revive them and their relevance and set things back many, many years!! :# This is exactly why I'm stil super salty at Ruth Badar Ginsberg and even Breyer (to a less degree) that she didn't just fucking retire a year and 1/2 ago when the Dems had full control of the Senate, do the *seriously right thing (she's 83 years old going on 115 8*o!) , but stayed only due to her OWN self interests or 'whatever' the fuq the reason was when she's thisclose to toppling over! Used to love her but not at all anymore.

The far right is losing TOTAL control and like the rats on the Titantic or any sinking ship or whatever/wherever they are in full off the deep end extreme/panic red alert mode. As hilarious and entertaining (this very second) as it is, IF Trump or something as nasty gets in they'll actually have a serious shot at that last minute 9th life that could revive them and their relevance and set things back many, many years!! :# This is exactly why I'm stil super salty at Ruth Badar Ginsberg and even Breyer (to a less degree) that she didn't just fucking retire a year and 1/2 ago when the Dems had full control of the Senate, do the *seriously right thing (she's 83 years old going on 115 8*o!) , but stayed only due to her OWN self interests or 'whatever' the fuq the reason was when she's thisclose to toppling over! Used to love her but not at all anymore.

Many people say the same thing about Madonna.

Sure Ruth's body is probably sagging and her tits are maybe just a fraction better looking then Gaga's but don't be so ageist. As long as her mind is functioning at full capacity, who cares, she might still be going for another 10 years.

I don't understand why they want restrictions on abortion. It should really be the other way around and made so much easier and with no stigma attached. I see so many useless parents out there, where abortion should have been mandatory, not optional.