The Rebel Heart era has restored Madonna's relevance & connection to her audience

If she lost fans during the MDNA era, I question what kind of fans they were in the first place. Sometimes artists release work you're not gonna like. Is that a reason to turn in your fan card?

I do agree with what you said, though. It's funny, because I was actually thinking the very same thing the other night. But I'm actually happier that the album came out now, rather than a few years ago. It's more special to me because of where I am in my life at this point. I'll definitely be looking back on this era with fond memories for years to come!

She's a pop artist and pop audience tend to be very fickle except us hardcore stans. She gained an incredible amount of casual fans during Confessions but MDNA completely killed that momentum

Amen brother! Exactly :headbang:

Now Madonna will never be irrelevant - she's Madonna after all. And of course she's never been truly disconnected from her core audience. That being said, there had been some damage to her brand during the MDNA era for various reasons (I won't go into it again in detail, those of you with common sense know that I'm talking about).

She has repaired so much of that damage during this absolutely wonderful era. Despite some of the hardships, overall she has restored her status as the last remaining megastar and the most intriguing woman of our time.

* The leaks

* The BRITs fall

* The positive reviews for Rebel Heart album

* "Bitch I'm Madonna" video

* Her Instagram account

* The positive reception for the Rebel Heart Tour

In addition to many of the TV performances, interviews, magazine covers etc.

It was just so nice during this era to see her face everywhere. My friends and coworkers knew she had an album out, they talked about the BRITs, the leaks, the tour etc. I can't tell you the number of times people said to me "Her new song is really nice!" referring either to "Ghosttown" or "Bitch I'm Madonna".

It has just been nice to see The QUEEN right back where she belongs during this era.

I think that's it.

I completely agree. This was the first time since Confessions that I was proud to be a fan. The singles, the rest of the album, the videos, the tour.. I was floored.

MDNA did not help her in my opinion. She didn't gain any new fans during that era and probably lost a few. The quality was just not there and it felt lazy (TUTR video, anyone?).

Long Live Rebel Heart.

Yes, definitely the most exciting era since Confessions. Sure, the other eras tickled my Madonna fancy, but she's BACK BACK BACK!

I understand MDNA shouldn't scare off a long term fan. But what about younger fans she picked up from 4 minutes?

I cringe thinking some people may only know her from 4 minutes or GMAYL.

There are probably some "younger" millennials who now know BIM along with 4M & GMAYL.

Three ultimate fan favorites for sure! :laugh:

Even the fans who hate on GMAYL / MDNA album love the MDNA Tour. And the GMAYL perf was one of the highlights of the MDNA Tour. Ergo....

But I do agree with KalamazooJay's main point, I think M may have lost some fans in the MDNA era. But I think it was more to do with the late start times and political speeches on the tour than anything else. And as great as it was, I think there was a kind of coldness to the album/tour. By contrast, Rebel Heart, esp the tour, is very warm and almost intimate, which is why I think it connects more with the fans.

The MDNA Tour is badass and the highlight of the era for sure, but imagine if the music was up to RH standards how much better it would have been?

I think the poor choice of GMAYL as the single to promote then after so many years since Hard Candy, the rise of wannabes and their success, and then honestly the lack of social networking presence all played a part.

We are so used to it now but we have to remember that she hasn't been in Instagram that long, all of this major social networking presence is something she had to build before and during Rebel Heart.

RH got her back where she needs to be and i think she will be well positioned for the next record, just wish it wasn't going to be 3 years.

Had this dream the other night that she was releasing a small record in November and the whole album was going to be mostly ballads haha

She got fans because kf MDNA we have some here on the forum. I cant remember who it was

I became a fan with MDNA. Before that I casually liked her songs.

MDNA was what got me too. Gang Bang all the way baby, and though I've now gone through her entire back catalogue and have my favorite songs/albums/performances/eras/tours/etc etc Gang Bang still remains one of my all-time favorites, along with the MDNA album and Tour.

For me it's about accessibility, I think? For example, Erotica is my favorite album and Waiting my favorite song, but it was being introduced through MDNA/Hard Candy (and, arguably, COADF) that let me get there. And Rebel Heart is so wonderful because it's both accessible to younger/newer fans like me (Bitch I'm Madonna, Unapologetic Bitch) while also showcasing her classic artistry that's been present in every album back to the 80s, and sometimes even in the same song (Ghosttown, Living for Love, Devil Pray).

I love it, I love her, I love the tour, I love the album, everything is wonderful and I couldn't be happier about the entire era

MDNA was what got me too. Gang Bang all the way baby, and though I've now gone through her entire back catalogue and have my favorite songs/albums/performances/eras/tours/etc etc Gang Bang still remains one of my all-time favorites, along with the MDNA album and Tour.

For me it's about accessibility, I think? For example, Erotica is my favorite album and Waiting my favorite song, but it was being introduced through MDNA/Hard Candy (and, arguably, COADF) that let me get there. And Rebel Heart is so wonderful because it's both accessible to younger/newer fans like me (Bitch I'm Madonna, Unapologetic Bitch) while also showcasing her classic artistry that's been present in every album back to the 80s, and sometimes even in the same song (Ghosttown, Living for Love, Devil Pray).

I love it, I love her, I love the tour, I love the album, everything is wonderful and I couldn't be happier about the entire era

Loved reading that, CandyPerfumeGIrl! :)

For me, I have been a Madonnachronic since 1983 and 'Burning Up', so I just assume that everyone knows a lot of the classic tracks, no matter what age they are. I grew up listening to radio where the new was played with the old, so back catalogues for all sorts of artists were a given.

I ve been proud to be a M fan since I first followed her in 1989, but this time around watching her giving the best of herself sonically and visually it s so moving to me. I only wish that there was some better management from her companys side because she really gave it all.

This era has been great in so many ways, especially the tour, but what she badly needs, and for several years now, is a smash song with a smash video.

Just one.

She really needs to deliver something great, once again. Something to be perceived (by the general public) as a (musical) event, as a great accomplishment (in her career).

Something to make her really relevant again to the general public, from a musical point of view.

She needs a HIT, like Frozen, Music, Hung Up and to a lesser degree 4 Minutes.

A HIT that stands out.

Edited by waradula

Guest Rocco Papa

This era has been great in so many ways, especially the tour, but what she badly needs, and for several years now, is a smash song with a smash video.

Just one.

She really needs to deliver something great, once again. Something to be perceived (by the general public) as a (musical) event, as a great accomplishment (in her career).

Something to make her really relevant again to the general public, from a musical point of view.

She needs a HIT, like Frozen, Music, Hung Up and to a lesser degree 4 Minutes.

A HIT that stands out.

I don't think focusing on the public's perception of an artist's work is healthy. If an artist releases a song or an album that I love, its lack of commercial or critical success won't cause me to love it any less.

Whether something is a hit or not isn't really important. That's not something you have any control over. So why get hung up on things like that?

Besides, I think Madonna has earned enough hits to be able to never have another again. As long as she continues to make good, quality work, I'll be happy with that.

All these songs sit comfortably beside the old classics...

Ghosttown, Devil Pray, Unapologetic Bitch, L4L, Bitch....

Just because radio did not pay attention you can't diminish the classic M sound and timeless feel! Rebel Heart is an amazing album!

Guest eroticerotic

i really agree.

If you look at downloads. Whomever said Billboard needs to count free downloads is completely right. In the digital age it's not the best selling. it is the most downloaded. there should be a separate scoreboard for profit/purchased sales.

if you measure the negative comments she receives. unfortunately, this is a very relevant and important part of PR in the days of having the world at your fingertips and doing nothing of value with it/envy those who do.

if you look at all the pop princesses giving it up to her.

if you look at all the press she received.

if you look at all the promo she did.

she was in 100% form.

maybe it takes 30 years for the influence to be really seen.

i really agree.

If you look at downloads. Whomever said Billboard needs to count free downloads is completely right. In the digital age it's not the best selling. it is the most downloaded. there should be a separate scoreboard for profit/purchased sales.

if you measure the negative comments she receives. unfortunately, this is a very relevant and important part of PR in the days of having the world at your fingertips and doing nothing of value with it/envy those who do.

if you look at all the pop princesses giving it up to her.

if you look at all the press she received.

if you look at all the promo she did.

she was in 100% form.

maybe it takes 30 years for the influence to be really seen.

no. Just no

Precisely!

All these songs sit comfortably beside the old classics...

Ghosttown, Devil Pray, Unapologetic Bitch, L4L, Bitch....

Just because radio did not pay attention you can't diminish the classic M sound and timeless feel! Rebel Heart is an amazing album!

I loved Rebel Heart but I feel that it sounds like a mix of Ray Of Light and Confessions and was trying to recapture that success. It sounded like she just played it safe with the songs and went for the classic Madonna sounding tracks like GT, LFL, DP etc instead of doing something 100% completely new and innovative (even though there were some bangers like Iconic, Vene Vidi Vici etc). I hope the next album will be something completely new and something the world has never seen before as I believe she IS capable of having another hit up her sleeve.

I also felt like they picked the wrong tracks as singles and simply opted for the safe classic Madonna sounding tracks instead of trying something exciting. Iconic as lead single and UB as 2nd single could have had more of an effect.

I loved Rebel Heart but I feel that it sounds like a mix of Ray Of Light and Confessions and was trying to recapture that success. It sounded like she just played it safe with the songs and went for the classic Madonna sounding tracks like GT, LFL, DP etc instead of doing something 100% completely new and innovative (even though there were some bangers like Iconic, Vene Vidi Vici etc). I hope the next album will be something completely new and something the world has never seen before as I believe she IS capable of having another hit up her sleeve.

I also felt like they picked the wrong tracks as singles and simply opted for the safe classic Madonna sounding tracks instead of trying something exciting. Iconic as lead single and UB as 2nd single could have had more of an effect.

Bitch Im Madonna?