True Blue Era

Guest Pud Whacker

I feel that this era was even bigger than Virgin era in some ways. Not that we have to hand out titles. Every era is a gem.

True Blue stands out in my mind for many reasons, not least of which is that I was ten years old and every radio hit from the album has wonderful childhood memories attached.

But as an adult, the album never lost its appeal, and I think Live To Tell is the best ballad of the 80s, by anyone.

Also: the sheer magic of her transformation into this sleek, blonde bombshell, shedding the jewelry.

And the classical intro of Papa Don't Preach, her Beatles moment. That song dominated 1986.

I could go on.

AAhhhh, thanks for making this glorious thread.

Guest Pud Whacker

Love it. The TB era was so much fun.

Make love not war we say

It's easy to recite

But it don't mean a damn

Unless we're gonna fight

SUCK HOLE

But not with guns and knives

We've got to save the lives

Of every boy and grrrrrrrl

That grows up in this wrrrrld....

SUCK DONG!!!

There was never a mass hysteria for any female artist/star the way there were for men like Valentino, Gable,Sinatra, then Elvis, then the Beatles, then Michael Jackson until Madonna came. Garbo and Bette Davis didn't have, Marilyn and Elizabeth Taylor didn't have and Streisand didn't have. Not in America, not in Europe, not Globally. Only Madonna. Globally. And this was experienced during the Like A Virgin era. The True Blue era, though, extended that mass hysteria for a female star and placed her into a media/public/commercial stratosphere never reached before. It proved that Madonna was here to stay and that she was bigger than big. That she already was THERE at the very summit of Olympus.And yet, even this was a few years before the 1989-1992 years that really, truly was the period of the zenith of any female fame and star power.

True Blue era is an era of bigness that NO other star (male or female) may EVER reach again

Cool that this era is being discussed because it was always my least favorite time period from Madonna, but still liked it a lot of course!

Around MDNA, I started watching the CI DVD regularly and it just made view these years in a more positive perspective.

Iconic is a word that's thrown around too loosely by some of today's clueless millennials, but TB era was ICONIC for sure!

Guest Pud Whacker

There was never a mass hysteria for any female artist/star the way there were for men like Valentino, Gable,Sinatra, then Elvis, then the Beatles, then Michael Jackson until Madonna came. Garbo and Bette Davis didn't have, Marilyn and Elizabeth Taylor didn't have and Streisand didn't have. Not in America, not in Europe, not Globally. Only Madonna. Globally. And this was experienced during the Like A Virgin era. The True Blue era, though, extended that mass hysteria for a female star and placed her into a media/public/commercial stratosphere never reached before. It proved that Madonna was here to stay and that she was bigger than big. That she already was THERE at the very summit of Olympus.And yet, even this was a few years before the 1989-1992 years that really, truly was the period of the zenith of any female fame and star power.

True Blue era is an era of bigness that NO other star (male or female) may EVER reach again

so true!

MADONNA MANIA!!!

Cool that this era is being discussed because it was always my least favorite time period from Madonna, but still liked it a lot of course!

Around MDNA, I started watching the CI DVD regularly and it just made view these years in a more positive perspective.

Iconic is a word that's thrown around too loosely by some of today's clueless millennials, but TB era was ICONIC for sure!

Internet hags and fags have been gravely misusing ICONIC. :lol:

This is honestly one of the most beautiful love songs ever written. It really is.

It gives me butterflies. *wink*

Hey!
What?
Listen...
I've had other guys
I've looked into their eyes
But I never knew love before
'Til you walked through my door
I've had other lips
I've sailed a thousand ships
But no matter where I go
You're the one for me baby this I know, 'cause it's
True love
You're the one I'm dreaming of
Your heart fits me like a glove
And I'm gonna be true blue baby I love you
I've heard all the lines
I've cried oh so many times
Those tear drops they won't fall again
I'm so excited 'cause you're my best friend
So if you should ever doubt
Wonder what love is all about
Just think back and remember dear
Those words whispered in your ear, I said

No more sadness, I kiss it goodbye

The sun is bursting right out of the sky
I searched the whole world for someone like you
Don't you know, don't you know that it's
True love, oh baby, true love, oh baby
True love, oh baby, true love it's
:inlove::inlove::inlove:

This is honestly one of the most beautiful love songs ever written. It really is.

It gives me butterflies. *wink*

Hey!
What?
Listen...
I've had other guys
I've looked into their eyes
But I never knew love before
'Til you walked through my door
I've had other lips
I've sailed a thousand ships
But no matter where I go
You're the one for me baby this I know, 'cause it's
True love
You're the one I'm dreaming of
Your heart fits me like a glove
And I'm gonna be true blue baby I love you
I've heard all the lines
I've cried oh so many times
Those tear drops they won't fall again
I'm so excited 'cause you're my best friend
So if you should ever doubt
Wonder what love is all about
Just think back and remember dear
Those words whispered in your ear, I said

No more sadness, I kiss it goodbye

The sun is bursting right out of the sky
I searched the whole world for someone like you
Don't you know, don't you know that it's
True love, oh baby, true love, oh baby
True love, oh baby, true love it's
:inlove::inlove::inlove:

So true :drama:

Guest Rocco Papa

This whole album has always put me in a very happy, positive mood. It really is a feel-good album.

Plus, Live to Tell really spoke to me when I was 11/12 years old. The line, "The light that you could never see/It shines inside you can't take that from me," meant so much to me at that time. It still does.

Here's a clip from MTV around that time, looking back on 1986: