When Madonna comes up in conversations..

Nikki

You must have them as well.. some more than others. Does it get heated? :popcorn2: Do you defend her or just let them talk?

I rarely talk about Madonna unless people bring her up, and Im often surprised by how limited some people's info is about her to some other people knowing more than I expected..

I'll start and give the setting..

when I grew up at home we rarely talked about Madonna or pop culture, even now when I go to a show I'll mention it but I come from a household that is into sports and local music. low key stuff.. Im out of the house now.

at a family party for the holidays they were talking about what is usually seen as "gay" music. then they were wondering what Madonna is.

Anyway, then out of nowhere a real discussion started. to my 50 and 60 something aunt & uncle Madonna is just sex, like britney. Of course I had to argue with that. Cant they see that there's a difference between a sweet girl who dresses up playing a submissive role (britney, mariah) and a woman who represents a more powerful figure and is more dominant, even "acting" like a man? Well, they couldn't. sex is sex to them. I see a difference because Madonna is my idol, my aunt said. all females who are sexual are the same.

I named men who use sex as well and how they're not seen the same way but my aunt didn't seem to get it.

my uncle (who doesn't know shit about music or pop culture and didn't engage in the conversation) then just randomly mentions "like a virgin" or "britney" or "hey, did you know? her full shows are playback, huh?" in the background

:lmao:

A minute later my aunt mentions she wants to see Adele.

;)

to my surprise my mother gave the whole madonna history. "she came from a poor family. she had nothing. her mother died when she was young. she worked hard to get somewhere. she had NOTHING. she's a hard worker. I like her. she married sean penn when she was young. she gave a free concert at the Bataclan (okay, that was wrong, but I just let her talk)".I was surprised. my mother knows the brief madonna history. she loves hard workers ;)

You have similar stories? does your family or friends circle even know you're a fan? :s98:

My mum only likes Live to Tell but doesn't like Madonna in general.

I don't have heated argument with my mum about Madonna like I do have with ageist people, like for instance people I am forced to work with. The co-worker who make nasty remarks on Madonna are all in their 20s, pretty ignorant, and mostly women. Go figure.

Whenever I defend Madonna against vile remarks is usually from people who make ageist comments or people who believe the usual old shit, that everything Madonna does is out of publicity, nothing sincere and heartfelt comes out of Madonna's charity work for instance, it's all a marketing ploy to them what Madonna says and does. Hard battle and then in the end I just give up 'cause you can't reason with ignorance, can you?

I can understand personal taste, one my not like mainstream pop music and not like Madonna's songs at all, fine, but to have this beef against her out of what shitty press have been saying about Madonna seems just pretty stupid to me. So I let them roll in their own shit, after all they don't know what gems they're missing by refusing to see who Madonna really is rather than falling for media porky pies.

I am rambling, what I am trying to say is that in real life I have had the privilege of knowing a number of Madonna fans since day one whom we're still in touch with one another, but majority of acquaintances, other friendships either cannot be bothered about Madonna or cannot stand the woman and depending on my mood I'll rather react to shitty remarks against Madonna or just let them go and carry on with my life. After all it's their loss not mine.

Can not say that I ever had a discussion about Madonna where I have had defend her... and I can not think of anyone I've talked to IRL that does not at least have respect for Madonna as an artist... people might not be fans of her, but everybody knows her accomplishments.

My mother is a really cool woman. I can talk with her about everything. So she obviously knows I'm a big fan of Madonna. She knows all about Madonna, because I told her everything. She went to two Madonna concerts with me and was really impressed. She loves and admires her strength as a woman.

My boyfriend doesn't care about Madonna. But I'm his girlfriend for many years now...so he has to live with my crazyness for this woman. I try not to talk too much about her when I'm with him, because I just don't want to annoy him. Sometimes I'm really surprised when I notice how much he knows about Madonna's life or for example her rebel heart tour. Guess I'm still talking about her very much! lol. For example, last time he asked me who the unapologetic bitch of the evening was. :rotfl:

My father is not into music or celebrities at all. When I told him, that I went to see Madonna on her rebel heart tour, he said s.th. like "who wants to see her now? She has been good 10 years ago...but now.." That really pissed me off and I told him, how important Madonna was and continues to be in all she does. I talked to him for about 10 minutes about everything she has accomplished until he finally admitted that one has to honor her work.

All my friends know I'm a fan and some of them went with me to see her shows. And EVERYONE who saw her live once started to admire her! Because that's what happens, when you see that woman perform.

Edited by Nora

Only defend if peeps are saying inaccurate things. Young peeps say she's old like and peeps of a certain age say she should give up but everybody agrees she's a legend and no one can top what she did so I just let them talk for a while until we all agree how big she actually is. When she took the tumble at the Brits she was a major talking subject and as much as peeps were laughing at her and cracking ageist jokes everybody agreed she was great! I think us fans are way too critical of her... Most people out there have loads of respect and admiration for Madonna. She's really regarded as one of the biggest pop stars ever.

I'm pretty lucky that most family and friends know I am a huge Madonna freak, and are therefore pretty kind when it comes to topics about her. She comes up a fair amount or is played if I am hanging with people for extended periods of time, haha.

If people don't like her, fine. I can handle it. But I like what was stated by pjcowley above - it if is an idiotic remark like something ageist, then she should be defended.

What I really hate is when a straight white dude who usually plays guitar implies that I have poor musical tastes when I mention I love her. Like just because most of it is "dance", it's not "real" music or "serious" music. I'm sorry, but I don't find death metal very good. I just think they believe it makes them look cool. It's probably just a homophobic attitude.

THIS. I have corrected so many people who say she fell at the Brits because they immediately insinuate it's because she's "old".

im so happy that annoying drake thing seems to be forgotten though. dont hear anyone talk about it. so weird. it was big online for like a few weeks. then nothing. compared to the britney kiss. and yeah with the fall she got back up again and she got yanked so it wasn't her fault or mistake. had nothing to do with anything else. everyone who saw it saw she sang live and just showed how professional she really is. so once you correct them it shows the fighter she is.

Most of my relatives like Madonna so no problem with them but some friends and colleagues I know literally "hate" her. I find it annoying to the extreme when they try to tell me "facts" about Madonna to turn me against her. Their "facts" are always from the tabloids, press and are so incorrect that it is laughable. The press really turn a lot of people off Madonna. I don't expect anyone to like Madonna but I don't want to have conversations with people about her who hate her. I don't try to persuade them to like her or lecture them so they should have more respect and don't try to persuade or lecture me to dislike her.

Just last week a friend of mine ( massive Madonna hater ) kept gushing non-stop about Bindi Irwin and how brave she was coping with the fact her father died as a child and winning the US version of Dancing with the Stars. Then she yet again told me later how much she hates Madonna - I swear she does it to annoy me as she is a bit of a stirrer. I usually tune off but told her that Madonna's mother died when she was a child like Bindi's father did and she said " That is different, Bindi loved her father" I mean seriously, how can you ever bother conversing with someone who talks such rubbish about Madonna. I only now discuss Madonna on this forum. Don't have the patience with people who dislike her.

Most of my relatives like Madonna so no problem with them but some friends and colleagues I know literally "hate" her. I find it annoying to the extreme when they try to tell me "facts" about Madonna to turn me against her. Their "facts" are always from the tabloids, press and are so incorrect that it is laughable. The press really turn a lot of people off Madonna. I don't expect anyone to like Madonna but I don't want to have conversations with people about her who hate her. I don't try to persuade them to like her or lecture them so they should have more respect and don't try to persuade or lecture me to dislike her.

Just last week a friend of mine ( massive Madonna hater ) kept gushing non-stop about Bindi Irwin and how brave she was coping with the fact her father died as a child and winning the US version of Dancing with the Stars. Then she yet again told me later how much she hates Madonna - I swear she does it to annoy me as she is a bit of a stirrer. I usually tune off but told her that Madonna's mother died when she was a child like Bindi's father did and she said " That is different, Bindi loved her father" I mean seriously, how can you ever bother conversing with someone who talks such rubbish about Madonna. I only now discuss Madonna on this forum. Don't have the patience with people who dislike her.

that's sick though. it's not realistic anymore. people (haters AND fans) have an image in their head of how a celebrity is like, and often it's very wrong. maybe we also think she's nicer or "cooler" than she really is. but that's okay. however to hate someone like that and think famous people have no feelings is crazy. it's not healthy.

btw, your friend doesn't come off as very intelligent by saying that. no one with a common sense would say such a thing (at least thats what I hope)

My parents are conservative, they never care about or talk about Madonna, but this year with the Brit Awards, Madonna was a topic of discussion at the family meal and everyone had an opinion :lmao:

I also have 3 sisters, it's funny because they have 3 opposite profiles toward M :

- One is a casual hater : during the Brit Awards discussion she made some stupid comments about Madonna's age and she talked about plastic surgery (how could plastic surgery be responsible for someone's fall?? :lmao: ).

- One is neutral, I always thought she didn't care about M but in 2012 I was in her car and the radio played Girl Gone Wild and then my sister was singing the "Heyheyhey" part, I was " :blink: You know the song?? :flirt: ". And I didn't even know that radios played the song.

- And my 3d sister (who is the one I'm the closest to) is nearly a fan thanks to me, I share some stuff about Madonna to her, like the Rebel Heart demo that she LOVED and the whole album when I bought it (she loves the heart songs, not the "bitch" ones and she hates BIM and Minaj because "she's only famous because of her ass" ). I also showed her many performances and also various vids that I like, and if she was not pregnant I would have brought her to the Rebel Heart tour in Paris. Next time!

The hilarious part :

Last year I showed some funny and bitchy Madonna moments to my closest sister, and she loved the diva attitude in the "Open the door, I'm suffocating" vid so much that she showed it to her colleagues, and it became a recurring sentence among them. Recently, she told me that someone rang at the intercom and said "Open the door, I'm suffocating". That's some #NTP, I was dead :lmao:

All these stories are bringing up memories that I've forgotten about! Use to work in a retail store in my early twenties. My manager HATED Madonna with a passion. My other co-worker use to go on and on about how M was a "slut", "bitch" "ugly", etc. Mind you both women were pretty raunchy and even promiscuous. :chuckle:

Did not bother me much at the time because it seemed that they were jealous of M or something about her persona triggered so much animosity and anger out of nowhere.

Guest bluejean

my dad loves madonna. he calls her The Madonna. :rotfl:

I found one of your old pictures of The Madonna....

:lmao:

That's what I call her as well.

My Mum likes her mainly because I forced her down her throat from the age of 5 onward. She asked for a "Bitch I'm Madonna' t-shirt from the concert :lol:

My sister hates her, sucks to be her. My Dad liked her, he's no longer with us but I remember when the song Ray of Light blessed our lives he was all over it and was wanting to take me to the concert that year "if she tours Australia." :lmao:

When I'm interested in a guy or just flirting i always casually bring up Madonna to gauge his reaction, without letting them know i'm her fan...if he's not disrespectful and even has something positive to say then i already think of marrying him and our future together :lmao: if he has a shitty negative reaction then i'm OUT. Don't have time for stupid people with no taste :queenbitch: been there before and it's just PAINFUL.

My mom really admires Madonna and loves Rebel Heart, I mean her opinion changed over the years from mostly saying Madonna is just a slut to actually liking her, then again I helped with that :stir:

I defend her whenever the opportunity, I can't help it.

I don't bring her up but if other people do and say something negative then I will defend her to the hilt.

I remember going to a party of a relative (who is a Gaga loon) and Madonna's Vogue came on and she said "Oh, for Gods sake...not this talentless old bitch"....that was like waving a red rag to a bull :lol:

I don't bring her up but if other people do and say something negative then I will defend her to the hilt.

I remember going to a party of a relative (who is a Gaga loon) and Madonna's Vogue came on and she said "Oh, for Gods sake...not this talentless old bitch"....that was like waving a red rag to a bull :lol:

this

My parents 60&70respect her because they allmost know her music works because of me .. I will never forget watching the BA live from Barcelona on tv and we were all standind close to the tv during the like a virgin masturbation routine after like a prayer ( we arr italiana

Now my father calls me whenever I m back at their home and M comes up on tv screaming " here comes Madonnaaaa " he thinks she s hot .

My mother respect her , she went to the CT and she s also a bit jelous of her , my brother 39 thinks she s massive .

People usually bring up M when I m around to sometime dare me and I allways start talking the truth ... the art , creation process , who an artist is today vs vocalists , socialmedia "everybody comes to Hollywood " so called star , I basically act the lines of the rebel heart iconic intro .

It s good to not listen to the noise I told them and they usually say " what ya mean with it ? " I answer " Ask Madonna !"

I'm 21, so most of my friends are around my age and seem actually surprised by my admiration for Madonna and mostly play the age card: "Ain't she a lil bit too old?". Can't blame them, since its the media that mostly pretends she's an 80 year old senile hooker.

Mostly I invite them to listen to a few tracks or watch some performances. Whether they like it or not, they at least applaud her for drive, stage presence, energy etc. and show some respect. I feel like most people who don't like Madonna, don't really understand her, though.

Nevertheless I got my friend to accompany me to Rebel Heart Tour. She was very sceptical at first, but after the concert she was BLOWN AWAY and spread the message and told all of her friends. haha

I find people who aren't fans are very antagonistic towards us fans . I don't get why.

Same here. I find that people that really dislike Madonna seem to be annoyed that I like her and want to set me straight about her. They are wasting their time and breath. It astounds me really. If I know someone is a huge fan of a musician, actor, artist that I don't care for, I never go on and on about disliking them. It is just rude and annoying. I have had people do the same when they know I love Abba but they don't get so nasty and vicious about them.

Everybody who knows me, knows that I'm Madonna fan and whenever someone new comes along and starts talking shit about Madonna, all heads in the group turn around looking for my reaction or what I have to say. I've learned to just nod and smile it off. I have no desire to lecture people about her...if they don't like her, fine, not my business.