GHV2 Appreciate

5iVe Elements

If it had the Miami Mix version of DCFMA that was actually a hit, it would be flawless. Or, if she wanted to showcase her Evita vocals, she could have included YMLM instead of DCFMA, since that was a legit hit.

I don't mind when certain amazing tracks are left off (i.e. excluding IR and TUTBMP in order to keep shifting copies of STR), I just don't like when a non-hit is included on a greatest hits album.

But yes, I'm a fan of this and all of her compilation because they're loaded with classic and brilliant hit songs.

Some hardcore fans might not like it, but greatest hits are usually good for getting people into artists. Especially before the digital age where songs can now be easily compiled, and before album sales went into the shitter. But even still today, certain people will check out greatest hits.

It would have been nice to have a new song. And a more inspired name to the collection. But I have my copy and love that there was a greatest hits at that point in the second decade of her career. It made sense to have another collection from her.

how was DCFMA not a hit? It was a worldwide top 10 hit?

It was huge here in the States on radio but as the Miami Mix edit dance remix not the movie version. She even recorded a new vocal.

It stuns me that fans can call a collection of Madonna singles "awful". The only thing I didn't like about it was the liner notes, which some people took seriously. The music itself was brilliant (it's all by Madonna...what's not to like?!). I would have preferred the tracks to be in chronological order, but that's easily fixed. Overall, I love it and I think it should be in every fan's collection, especially given the presence of the single versions of many tracks.

I repeat - how can a collection of Madonna singles be described as "awful"?! The mind boggles....

It stuns me that fans can call a collection of Madonna singles "awful". The only thing I didn't like about it was the liner notes, which some people took seriously. The music itself was brilliant (it's all by Madonna...what's not to like?!). I would have preferred the tracks to be in chronological order, but that's easily fixed. Overall, I love it and I think it should be in every fan's collection, especially given the presence of the single versions of many tracks.

I repeat - how can a collection of Madonna singles be described as "awful"?! The mind boggles....

After being spoiled with collections like You Can Dance and the Immaculate Collection, I think fans were expecting some sort of "compilation exclusive" mixes of the tracks. Not only did that not happen, but there were no new tracks either. So, in the end, this compilation has nothing to offer fans (except the great artwork and the AWESOME megamix...That track was the highlight of this project for me!!!). It just didn't feel like Madonna had much input in this collection (other than the tracklisting).

:)

First time I read the liner notes, I laughed so hard! I was shocked when I realized that some people, including a major music magazine, did not understand that it was intentionally humorous and thought that the writer really believed D&D to be about a miner coming out of the closet :laugh:

The Miami Mix of Don't Cry for Me was HUUUUUGE when I was younger here in NY. I remember my gym teacher had a cassette tape of (obviously copied) music from KTU and the mix was on it.

D&D... That intro tho... :clap:

Guest Rocco Papa

D&D... That intro tho... :clap:

Edit: I've just put the CD on the stereo and fuck, that Deeper and Deeper dramatic intro is the shit!!!!

What is the difference between the intro on GHV2 and the album version?

Love it! I think it has a great flow, not entirely chronological but not completely random! I don't miss the ballads as it would have been way too slow, the only changes I would have made are replacing What It Feels Like For A Girl with American Pie since the former was not a proper hit and the album version wasn't even used in the video and maybe the Don't Cry For Me Argentina remix to have even less slow moments but that's all.

The original tracklist sucked, putting all the faster songs in the first half and make the second half into Something To Remember part two...

ghv2_test_500.jpg

^Does any fans know if this was the original track list before it was allegedly change?

should have been

01. Erotica

02. Deeper And Deeper

03. Fever

04. Rain

05. Secret

06. Take A Bow

07. Human Nature

08. You'll See

09. You Must Love Me

10. Frozen

11. Ray Of Light

12. Beautiful Stranger

13. American Pie

14. Music

15. Don't Tell Me

16. New Song

17. New Song

should have been

01. Erotica

02. Deeper And Deeper

03. Fever

04. Rain

05. Secret

06. Take A Bow

07. Human Nature

08. You'll See

09. You Must Love Me

10. Frozen

11. Ray Of Light

12. Beautiful Stranger

13. American Pie

14. Music

15. Don't Tell Me

16. New Song

17. New Song

I'd add The Power of Goodbye and WIFLFAG.

I dont get the general disdain for this project. I prefer Greatest Hits albums to give us the versions we heard on the radio, so the radio edits were the right ones to use. I was disappointed with Celebration that it used the album versions! I already had all the albums. I want a career retrospective similar to the Japan 40 CD box from 1995 which includes all the single edits and remix edits. It annoys me that an artist like Kylie can do this for a back catalogue on CD (time capsule) and itunes; yet Madonna who actually defined this genre is still not represented. I am a huge collector of Madonna and find it a travesty that i cant buy Open Your Heart (Remix) on CD or download it!

Any way back to GHV2, "the second coming" is a better title and tie in to TIC. And a new song would've been nice. The 2CD promo remixes made up for it though with the rare Bedtime Story dub and the Wiflfag new remix. Ive got sone really fantastic collectibles from this era, maybe as a collector the vast array of international promos made up for the lack of new content.

People who don't like GHV2 are not saying the songs itself are awful.

No, but they are calling the collection "awful", and I fail to understand how a collection of Madonna songs (regardless of the order, track list, versions included etc. etc.) could be described as such.

Madonna didn't seem to care about it, it was almost like it was a contract-need.

It was at a time she didn't want to reflect on her legacy, I don't blame her in 2001 she was hot commercial property and still having multi million number1 albums/singles!

But this came off the back of DWT, which ignored her past aswell...

It's worth a play, but it should of got promoted better, contained nee songs and given a better platform.

And GHV2 is the worst album title she's ever had.

No, but they are calling the collection "awful", and I fail to understand how a collection of Madonna songs (regardless of the order, track list, versions included etc. etc.) could be described as such.

I fail to understand why it is hard to understand that some fans expected a better release?!

Guest Rocco Papa

Yes, nothing different. I was talking about the fabulous introduction of D&D in general, what a way to start a record! :confessions:

Ahhh okay. Thanks! :)