Billboard names Rebel Heart one of 25 Best Album Covers of 2015

17-Madonna-Rebel-Heart-best-album-art-20
'Rebel Heart,' Madonna

Madge has never had any trouble being iconic -- or controversial. Her 13th album’s cover art spawned a series of memes in which everyone from Michael Jackson to Marilyn Monroe donned her black wire face mask, and she encouraged the fan-generated tributes by posting them to social media. But when renditions of Bob Marley, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Nelson Mandela caused some fans to cry foul, she apologized and denied they were “a crime or an insult or racist."

Of course they couldn't resist and add a negative spin to the album cover.

Naturally. But don't focus on that desperate trade publication and rejoice in all the other acclaim!

Can we talk about the artwork? I love how you can tell it's suppose to be "artistic" as meant to have whatever interpretation the viewer sees, but at the same time it's so obviously referring to Madonna's head as an actual heart with the wires representing veins

I love it sfm

Is this new? cause they made a list little time ago and RH was not included. At any rate, it is good it is included now , despite the stupid muther fucking negative part they wrote...fuckers! :s98:

Is this new? cause they made a list little time ago and RH was not included. At any rate, it is good it is included now , despite the stupid muther fucking negative part they wrote...fuckers! :s98:

I believe that other list was for the album. This is for the album cover.

I believe that other list was for the album. This is for the album cover.

Oh my bad!...I see it's about the album cover and not the album...didn't read that part on the title...dad's cocktails are quite good!... :laugh:

Can we talk about the artwork? I love how you can tell it's suppose to be "artistic" as meant to have whatever interpretation the viewer sees, but at the same time it's so obviously referring to Madonna's head as an actual heart with the wires representing veins

I love it sfm

I've always thought this too, but I've never actually seen anyone post about it. That's one of my favorite things about this cover. Looks great on the vinyl cover, too!

I've never thought of it like this! I guess I've always thought of it pretty literally, aka she's bound by the shackles of society but she's gonna carry on

p.s. I don't know if this was ever mentioned, but when the 6 songs were released, the album cover they sent out was slightly different - her nose was different and her curls had less volume

p.s. I don't know if this was ever mentioned, but when the 6 songs were released, the album cover they sent out was slightly different - her nose was different and her curls had less volume

Really? Anyone have a picture? :o

• 2 weeks later...

I love it sfm

I never thought of it like that, that's actually really cool. I always thought the wires were like the ropes people throw over a statue before they tear it down, as if to say everyone is trying to bring her down since she's a rebel but she remains strong/triumphant. I like that there's different ways of looking at it, it's a sign of good artwork.