Do Teens know 80s music?

horn

I'm not surprised by the younger generation's ignorance. As a teen in the 80s, I was obsessed with music magazines, radio, buying vinyl and cassettes and getting to know who the team around the artist was and discovering who else they worked with. The current generation probably have no idea who Max Martin is, even though he works on 90% of the music they download. They probably never read the credits if they don't have CD booklets!

I'm not surprised by the younger generation's ignorance. As a teen in the 80s, I was obsessed with music magazines, radio, buying vinyl and cassettes and getting to know who the team around the artist was and discovering who else they worked with. The current generation probably have no idea who Max Martin is, even though he works on 90% of the music they download. They probably never read the credits if they don't have CD booklets!

this. I get upset when the booklet doesnt have lyrics, credits, and pictures of artists

I know a few teens who only know Like a Virgin, 4 Minutes etc. I've even come across gays my age aka in their 20s who barely even know her catalogue, which I find really weird

On the other hand my friend who's an elementary ESL teacher told her class (full of Chinese and Indian children who haven't been here for more than a year) that she was going to the tour and they were all like MADONNA!!! FAMOUS SINGER!!!

Guest Rocco Papa

this. I get upset when the booklet doesnt have lyrics, credits, and pictures of artists

Me too. But you also have to remember that the younger generation doesn't even buy CDs. They just download songs on iTunes. I doubt most of them even buy full albums.

The one thing I did like about that video is that they all liked the song, even if they didn't know the title or artist! Then, when they found out it was Madonna they all had positive things to say about her. They treated her with respect, no ageist bullshit.

Well my niece who is two and 4 months is going to be an 80s and 90s music know it all.

My sister puts her to bed every night and leaves the radio on low on a station that plays tons of 80s and 90s (and tons of Madonna). This kid will know. Oh yes she will. :lol:

EXCELLENT parenting right there. :D

My little guy loves Madonna. His favorite album is "Confessions." :Disco_Ball:

Me too. But you also have to remember that the younger generation doesn't even buy CDs. They just download songs on iTunes. I doubt most of them even buy full albums.

The one thing I did like about that video is that they all liked the song, even if they didn't know the title or artist! Then, when they found out it was Madonna they all had positive things to say about her. They treated her with respect, no ageist bullshit.

yep they all sound impressed :)

I too have moved away from CDs to downloads because of convenience. I very seldom buy CDs anymore unless it's artists I love. As long as there's a digital booklet, I'm good.

...somehow these teens missed out on seeing Never Been Kissed which perfectly features Like a Prayer in a scene.

How do you grow up as a teen and miss out on that movie?

ab0q1.gif

Love that film, BUT I was only 8 when it came out! I'm almost 24, so I know my younger peers aint familiar with it. :lol:

Madonna's legacy will be intact for ages, rest assured. She has enough material to rediscover, it's just that her 80's catalog is VASTLY different than anything these kids hear nowadays. Everything current is so electronic & bass-heavy, so her upbeat pop tunes may not resonate with millennials (at least not as much as her 90's stuff). Thankfully though, her music videos are a great introduction.

I too have moved away from CDs to downloads because of convenience. I very seldom buy CDs anymore unless it's artists I love. As long as there's a digital booklet, I'm good.

CDs are definitely obsolete even though I still buy some for sure. Still can't get myself to purchase downloaded music though. Rather just stream for free since it's so easy to save $$.

I've got a pretty expansive catalog of older music in my library, most of which was introduced to me by other people, YouTube suggestions, playlist at work, etc... We keep the legacy alive by mentioning her in conversations & playing her stuff in social settings. I can think of at least 5 people I've converted into casual fans just by association.

I stopped watching it when they got to Madonna. It was too frustrating to watch. I hate teenagers.

:lol:

I try to remember if I was as dumb as these kids when I was young...

I'm sure I was not.

Let's say that MTV and MuchMusic helped us to learn about different kind of music.

:lol:

I try to remember if I was as dumb as these kids when I was young...

I'm sure I was not.

Let's say that MTV and MuchMusic helped us to learn about different kind of music.

Sorry. But I wasn't that dumb. I knew 60's music when I was teenager in the 80s and so did all my friends.

Sorry. But I wasn't that dumb. I knew 60's music when I was teenager in the 80s and so did all my friends.

Same here!!

My parents were born in the 40s, and the old music, television, and movies (as well as current stuff!) was always around. Maybe that wasn't the norm for some, but it definitely was in our house. My parents still keep up with current pop culture.

Not really too surprised teens don't know eighties music since many of them don't even know popular music from 10 to 15 years ago!

Popular music also use to be a bit more revolutionary and interesting. and not nearly as stale, generic, and overly corporatized as recently. There's still amazing music being released, but mainly from less popular artists.