This Used To Be My Playground

Shane

Love this moody, sentimental, and melancholy ballad and always have.

Just curious whether you guys view this song as the culmination of the first phase of her career, or the start of the second phase? Or neither.

SomeofShane, not sure how I would view this song regarding her career. It was before Erotica so I suppose I would consider it her early career.

I also love it. So melancholy, sad and wishful. It is a song that I have to be in the mood for though. I love the whole look she has in the video clip too. Like a young Lana Turner - absolutely beautiful and Madonna does vintage Hollywood glamour and beauty better than any modern star. The video suits the song perfectly.

Guest gang bang

This used to be my playground is the sadest Madonna song , its a masterpiece ..amazing lyrics ...this song was robbed , it deserved a Golden globe ..and an Oscar too

Guest Rocco Papa

From a huge blockbuster movie, a number 1 on Billboard Hot 100, and it's not on GHV2 or Celebration. I'll never understand or accept that. :laugh:

But it is a beautiful song that really fits in perfectly with the context of the movie. When it starts playing in the end credits, everything just comes full circle and it makes for a very emotional end.

Brilliant! :thumbsup:

It did come at an interesting stage in Madonna's career. It was a rather quiet period in her career although both the film and the song were very successful. But nobody was quite prepared for the Erotica/Sex onslaught that would come only a few months later.

Started listening to Madonna around JML, so this understated single release was a really surprising choice after all the previous controversies and media obsession. Also, this single feels like it was during the second part of her career because TIC was released previously to end the eighties era.

I don't think she even knows she recorded this song to be honest. She's never mentioned it sang it or anything. It's one of her biggest hits and she's like ... I'm sorry I don't know that song ?!!

Guest Rocco Papa

I don't think she even knows she recorded this song to be honest. She's never mentioned it sang it or anything. It's one of her biggest hits and she's like ... I'm sorry I don't know that song ?!!

She remembered it when she did Rosie's show back in 1997:

I remember listening to this song and thinking that she was heading towards the end of her career. BY CHOICE

and that she was becoming more like an actrice, who does a song every once in a while.

i was completely wrong!!! thank GOD!!!!!! Little did I know.

much later I found out is was all done in the workflow of a new album. I couldnt be more happy.

Such a beautiful song.

But like I'll remember, another massive billboard hit, it's a fan favourite and remains largely unknown by the General Public.

You mean the younger general public of today? Because everyone I know who listened to pop radio in the 90s knows those songs.

But I think I know what you mean. Because today's younger audience wouldn't know it, but they'd still most likely know Into the Groove, Like A Prayer, and Holiday etc.