RS 50 Best songs of 2015 #16 Ghosttown

The RS albums and singles list are the only two major year-end lists that M has appeaeed on- good for RS to give some love, especially "Ghosttown" (which, incidentally, ranked a few spots lower than BIM on the RS 50 Greatest Madonna Songs list- the year0end, though, probably had more input than the seven writers who do the Madonna list).

On a chart note- "Ghosttown" did crack two (non-dance) U.S. airplay charts (Adult Contemporary, Adult Top 40), which no second single had done since the Music album. And it did reach 65 in UK sales. Of course, had it been released when she was younger, like some other singles in recent years, it would have smashed.

So underrated!

the song itself has been praised by critics and fans. It's one of those timely inconveniences that held it back. It was released to iTunes in December and released to radio in the spring mainly with promo for AC where it performed quite well. The song is loved when performed on the tour. I've always felt GT is too good to let it fade as it truly is a Madonna masterpiece.

Guest Rocco Papa

I was listening to the RS top 50 songs with friends last night and when we got to number 16, I played Ghosttown. They all loved it - yet kept saying 'I never heard it before!'... so sad. Terrible release strategy

What was wrong with the release strategy?

I thought they did everything right in terms of promotion. She performed it on several talk shows including Jonathan Ross in the UK and Ellen in the US. Plus, she performed it with Taylor Swift at the iHeartRadio Awards. Then, they took advantage of Empire's popularity by having Terrence Howard in the video. Her team was definitely doing everything in their power to let people know about this song.

I don't think releasing it as part of the 6-song early release had anything to do with it. By the time the single was released, the full album had come out already. If anything, I think LFL is the one that got a bad release strategy. They should've released that song as a single by itself instead of 6 early songs. I don't think that should've happened with Ghosttown, because I don't think it should've been the first single.

I do believe that Madonna and her team for once did everything correctly to release/promote Ghosttown. I'm genuinely shocked that the song didn't have any significant impact on iTunes after her performance with Taylor. When the ball is in the public's court, they don't do anything with it. It's a shame.

Good on RS for giving M the critical acclaim that she deserves. Wasn't Candy Shop also featured in the year end list by RS?

Love that Ghosttown is having some recognition! It's a great song that should've performed better. She did all the promo right and the video is great, but the public just didn't seem to care.

I had a date tonight and he said his favourite recent Madonna song is "Ghost Town", he said it was hung up but then changed it to Ghost Town, he heard it on BBC Radio 2 recently, seems a lot of people love the song.