Q: 100 Greatest Albums of the 1990s

HolidayGuy

Her Madgesty has an appearance, with the expected, and deserving, entry. The list appears in the December issue.

(Cue some comments about how a certain album from 1992 deserves a placement. :) )

1. Radiohead – Ok Computer
2. Tricky – Maxinquaye
3. Nirvana – In Utero
4. Jeff Buckley – Grace
5. Beastie Boys – Ill Communication
6. Bjork – Debut
7. DJ Shadow – Endtroducing
8. Oasis – Definitely Maybe
9. Pulp – Different Class
10. The Chemical Brothers – Dig Your Own Hole
11. Missy ‘Misdemeanor’ Elliott – Supa Dupa Fly
12. Blur – 13
13. Portishead – Dummy
14. PJ Harvey – To Bring You My Love
15. Spritualized – Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
16. Massive Attack – Blue Lines
17. Black Grape – It’s Greate When You’re Straght… Yeah
18. Genius/GZA – Liquid Swords
19. Supergrass – I Should Coco
20. Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy – I See Darkness
21. Aphex Twin – Richard D James
22. Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds – The Boatman’s Call
23. Mercury Rev – Deserters Songs
24. Pavement – Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
25. Primal Scream – Screamadelica
26. A Tribe Called Quest – The Low End Thory
27. Boards Of Canada – Music Has The Right To Children
28. Public Enemy – Fear Of A Black Planet
29. Nirvana – Nevermind
30. Super Furry Animals – Fuzzy Logic
31. Beck – Odelay
32. Lauryn Hill – The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
33. Daft Punk – Homework
34. Madonna – Ray Of Light
35. The Flaming Lips – The Soft Bulletin
36. The Beta Band – The Three E.P’s
37. Elliott Smith – Either/Or
38. Underworld – Second Toughest In The Infants
39. Suede – Dog Man Star
40. The Prodigy – Music For A Jilted Generation
41. R.E.M. – Automatic For The People
42. Ol’ Dirty Bastard – Nigga Please
43. The La’s – The La’s
44. Sonic Youth – Goo
45. Wu-Tang Clan – Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
46. The Verve – A Northern Soul
47. My Bloody Valentine – Loveless
48. Blur – Parklife
49. Nas – Illmatic
50. Manic Street Preachers – The Holy Bible
51. Air – Moon Safari
52. Screaming Trees – Dust
53. The Charlatans – Tellin’ Stories
54. Orbital – Orbital (Brown Album)
55. Radiohead – The Bends
56. Weezer – Blue Album
57. U2 – Achtung Baby
58. Teenage Fanclub – Bandwagonesque
59. Fugees – The Score
60. Belle & Sabastian – If You’re Feeling Sinister
61. The Notorious B.I.G. – Ready To Die
62. Urge Overkill – Exit The Dragon
63. Shack – Waterpistol
64. PJ Harvey – Rid Of Me
65. Metallica – Metallica
66. The Breeders – Last Splash
67. Smashing Pumpkins – Siamese Dream
68. The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen
69. Massive Attack – Mezzanine
70. The Black Crowes – The Southern Harmonony And Musical Companion
71. Leftfield – Rhythm And Stealth
72. Eminem – The Slip Shady Lp
73. D’Angelo – Brown Sugar
74. Pulp – His ‘N’ Hers
75. Cornershop – When I Was Born For The 7th Time
76. Pet Shop Boys - Very
77. Pixies – Bossanova
78. Bestie Boys – Check Your Head
79. Mazzy Star – So Tonight That I Might See
80. Manic Street Preachers – Everything Must Go
81. Paul Weller – Heavy Soul
82. Nine Inch Nales – The Downward Spiral
83. Raekwon – Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…
84. Mogwai – Come On Die Young
85. Basement Jaxx – Remedy
86. Denim – Back In Denim
87. Elastica – Elastica
88. Happy Mondays – Pills ‘N’ Thrills And Bellyaches
89. Goldie – Timeless
90. The Boo Radleys – Giant Steps
91. Morrissey – Vauxhall And I
92. Sparklehorse – Good Morning Spider
93. Dr Dre – The Chronic
94. Oasis – (What’s The Story) Morning Glory
95. Rage Against The Machine – Rage Against The Machine
96. Hole – Celebrity Skin
97. Bjork – Homogenic
98. Talk Talk – Laughing Stock
99. Saint Etienne – Foxbase Alpha
100. Neil Young And Crazy Horse – Ragged Glory

no point in comparing but these are all good albums

+1

I'd place ROL higher but yes, it's a great list for once. Most of those albums are awesome.

Guest Rocco Papa

Ray of Light is a good album with some great songs on it. But I never got that excited about it (or Music for that matter). It wasn't bad, but it never really stood out in my mind. I'll never understand why some people worship it religiously.

I think Erotica definitely should've gotten the honor here, but that's just me.

Gosh the 90's are my favorite decade. So much good music!!!

Me, too. But besides Erotica, they should have included Garbage and Version 2.0 by Garbage, and Live Through This and Celebrity Skin by Hole.

Me, too. But besides Erotica, they should have included Garbage and Version 2.0 by Garbage, and Live Through This and Celebrity Skin by Hole.

Live Through This should definently be there, but there is just something with celebrity skin that makes it a bit too common and non worthy?

I'm surprised with Nirvana though, first time I've seen In Utero rated aboved Nevermind???

I am actually shocked that they included Ray Of Light on their list in the first place!Those albums were all really popular in the 90's but they were all made by the so called alternative artists! Madonna is possibly the only pop star in that bunch. No Spice Girls or Britney Spears or even Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey! Madonna truly conquered the more serious and sophisticated music world with Ray Of Light!

I'm shocked at Bjork's debut behing so high. I adored it when it was realised but it aged terribly. Post and Homogenic are far better.

Still listen to Debut after all these years. It was very progressive at the time of release and still very strong after all these years (in my humble opinion).

This list also contains so many amazing artists, massive attack, radiohead, blur, beastie boys, etc. Wish erotica or even BS could have made the list somewhere. Oh well... :sad:

I am actually shocked that they included Ray Of Light on their list in the first place!Those albums were all really popular in the 90's but they were all made by the so called alternative artists! Madonna is possibly the only pop star in that bunch. No Spice Girls or Britney Spears or even Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey! Madonna truly conquered the more serious and sophisticated music world with Ray Of Light!

Yes, but in the 90's a lot of what we consider "alternative artists" now were played on the radio. Alternative rock was part of pop music in the 90's which is one of the things I loved about the 90's. Alternative artists were pop stars in the 90's. Even Ray of Light has some alternative leaning moments, it's not pop in the same way the Spice Girls or Britney Spears were.

Oh, I just noticed Celebrity Skin by Hole is on there! I missed it at first. Glad it made it in.

Yes, but in the 90's a lot of what we consider "alternative artists" now were played on the radio. Alternative rock was part of pop music in the 90's which is one of the things I loved about the 90's. Alternative artists were pop stars in the 90's. Even Ray of Light has some alternative leaning moments, it's not pop in the same way the Spice Girls or Britney Spears were.

Oh, I just noticed Celebrity Skin by Hole is on there! I missed it at first. Glad it made it in.

I was just going to post this but glad you noticed! Celebrity Skin is my favorite Hole album.

I'm happy that ROL is as high as it is. This list is fairly decent although female acts are short changed given how much they dominated the 90s. Still a good list compared to many.

I was just going to post this but glad you noticed! Celebrity Skin is my favorite Hole album.

I'm happy that ROL is as high as it is. This list is fairly decent although female acts are short changed given how much they dominated the 90s. Still a good list compared to many.

I love Celebrity Skin, but I think Live Through This is a better album.

Fiona Apple and Tori Amos need to be on there! There actually inspired a lot of female singer/songwriters using the piano as their primary instrument.

Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink need to be on there for Tori!

And Tidal and When the Pawn.... for Fiona.

I"ve been listening to the new Vanessa Carlton album which owes a lot to both Tori and Fiona. I definitely recommend that.

Ray of Light is a good album with some great songs on it. But I never got that excited about it (or Music for that matter). It wasn't bad, but it never really stood out in my mind. I'll never understand why some people worship it religiously.

I think Erotica definitely should've gotten the honor here, but that's just me.

+1

Still listen to Debut after all these years. It was very progressive at the time of release and still very strong after all these years (in my humble opinion).

Yes I agree, "Debut" is as fresh as ever. And lest we forget, it was producer Nellee Hooper largely behind "'Debut" that got Madonna working with him. His beats sound as fresh on "Debut" as they do on "Bedtime Story".

Would love "Erotica" to be there but ROL is always gonna be on these kind of lists.

Yes I agree, "Debut" is as fresh as ever. And lest we forget, it was producer Nellee Hooper largely behind "'Debut" that got Madonna working with him. His beats sound as fresh on "Debut" as they do on "Bedtime Story".

Would love "Erotica" to be there but ROL is always gonna be on these kind of lists.

Violently Happy sounds like Bedtime Story.

This list is low on female artists and I doubt that the people who compiled it ever listened to Erotica or Bedtime Stories, critics kinda jumped on the "ROL bandwagon", at that point it was cool to like her. She was no longer outrageously controversial, wasn't "too teen pop" or "too adult contemporary" anymore plus all the good press due to Evita and motherhood created a "let's give kudos to her now" moment.

I love Celebrity Skin, but I think Live Through This is a better album.

Fiona Apple and Tori Amos need to be on there! There actually inspired a lot of female singer/songwriters using the piano as their primary instrument.

Little Earthquakes and Under the Pink need to be on there for Tori!

And Tidal and When the Pawn.... for Fiona.

I"ve been listening to the new Vanessa Carlton album which owes a lot to both Tori and Fiona. I definitely recommend that.

I love Live Through This . For me it's a better album than CS.