I'm not religious

But I feel so moved

Makes me want to pray

Pray you'll always be here

I'm not religious

But I feel such love

Makes me want to pray

Wikipedia page : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_Fails

It is still a mystery to me how this 3rd single from the American Life album was not a huge hit. This song has it all: Beautiful melody, gorgeous vocals, heartfelt lyrics, and a dramatic choral climax. This song immediately stood out for me on first listen and it still touches me deeply every time I hear it, almost always bringing me to tears. I love the marriage of acoustic and electronic sounds which are done to perfection giving the song a classic warm feel while also keeping it current. When that choir comes in out of nowhere, it is a moment - a truly religious experience (pun intended). That whole section with all the different melodies is just brilliant and chill inducing. Then, it drops out as suddenly as it came - just magical. Clearly I love this song so much and anyone I've ever played it for also marvels at its beauty and emotional resonance(both fan and non-fan alike). Truly one of her most beautiful and emotionally powerful songs.

Favorite Lyric: Because I've climbed the tree of life

And that is why, no longer scared if I fall

Favorite Vocal Moment: The entire choral section

Favorite Musical Moment: The part right after the chorus drops out

It is still a mystery to me how this 3rd single from the American Life album was not a huge hit. This song has it all: Beautiful melody, gorgeous vocals, heartfelt lyrics, and a dramatic choral climax. This song immediately stood out for me on first listen and it still touches me deeply every time I hear it, almost always bringing me to tears. I love the marriage of acoustic and electronic sounds which are done to perfection giving the song a classic warm feel while also keeping it current. When that choir comes in out of nowhere, it is a moment - a truly religious experience (pun intended). That whole section with all the different melodies is just brilliant and chill inducing. Then, it drops out as suddenly as it came - just magical. Clearly I love this song so much and anyone I've ever played it for also marvels at its beauty and emotional resonance(both fan and non-fan alike). Truly one of her most beautiful and emotionally powerful songs.

Beautifully put! I LOVE this song

she NEEDS to perform this gem live again. Drop GT, Secret, LAP, or WTG from RHT, I don't care; just add Nothing Fails

she NEEDS to perform this gem live again. Drop GT, Secret, LAP, or WTG from RHT, I don't care; just add Nothing Fails

She's doing Sean Penn era classics on this tour, no chance she'll add a Guy Ritchie era love song :)

besides, I disagree with your premise that any of those other songs need to be taken out; just add to the rotation, don't bench anything...

I love AL (song), but agree with this. Things might have turned out so differently...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing :) i suspect this would have been a hugh success and chart topper ( particularly coming off ROL and Music era where she was universally loved and could do no wrong ). I suspect it was Madonnas decision to release American Life as first single ;) whilst all those at Warner were probably shaking their heads, thinking WTF :) I would have gone:

1 Nothing Fails

2 Hollywood

3 xstatic Process

4 Love Profusion / Nobody Knows Me

5 American Life ( when nobody would actually care and war is over :) )

Nothing+Fails+by+Antonio.jpg

Artwork by Antonio

[Verse 1]

I'm in love with you, you silly thing

Anyone can see

What is it with you, you silly thing

Just take it from me

It was not a chance meeting

Feel my heart beating

You're the one

You could take all this, take it away

I'd still have it all

Because I've climbed the tree of life

[Chorus 1]

When I get lost in space

I can return to this place

Because, you're the one

[Chorus 2]

Nothing fails

No more fears

Nothing fails

You washed away my tears

Nothing fails

No more fears

Nothing fails

Nothing fails

[Chorus 3]

I'm not religious

But I feel so moved

Makes me want to pray

Pray you'll always be here

I'm not religious

But I feel such love

Makes me want to pray

Wikipedia page : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing_Fails

Favorite Lyric: Because I've climbed the tree of life

Favorite Vocal Moment: The entire choral section

Favorite Musical Moment: The part right after the chorus drops out

I couldn't possibly agree with you more! :thumbsup:

One of my fave M songs - and, just, plain songs - of all time!

This song made me laugh. We used to call the cat "you silly thing" all the time, and when I heard this song, I thought it was funny. Then the line no more fears reminded me too much of the no more tears baby shampoo commercials.

The cool thing about this song is the line "I'm not religious...make me want to pray". Actually I think it's an important line. Prayer and religion get too mixed up with each other.

I think lack of a video also hurt this release.

Nothing Fails on AL, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You on HC, Falling Free and Love Spent on MDNA, Devil Pray on RH are all great songs that didn't get a chance to become singles, as they desearved. Along with some other several great songs, on those albums and Music.

Edited by waradula