Let's face facts. Everyone always complaining...first vent in 32 years of fandom

agclef

Let's face facts. Madonna's remaining career will consist of being a successful tour artist and releasing great music. That is just fine by me. Most of the public will NOT be interested, maybe intrigued but not interested. Certainly young, teenage girls and boys (the music buyers) will NOT be interested. We know Madonna has paved a whole new way for herself that hasn't been seen or done before but I remember being a kid and Tina Turner had a big comeback (I know Madonna has never stopped), I was interested for a while, she had some great songs and there is NO denying her talent but I naturally gravitated to the younger, newer singers - MADONNA (at the time), and any other groups that were new. So, I understand her lack of record sales and radio play and I am sure she is aware of this as well - just look at history. We have to appreciate that she keeps chugging along to entertain us and puts herself out there for the world to see, I for one am very appreciative and this last tour is INCREDIBLE, the REBEL HEART album is an awesome listening experience and she recorded so much new music, but, she's not 26 and times have changed...unfortunately quite drastically. I still remember being very impressed by her in the early 80's and when I witnessed this last tour from seats directly next to the stage (best seats of my life) and saw her up close, super-duper close, yes she touched my hand up-close, I was once again impressed but in a different way. I saw her from a very different pair of eyes. Eyes that have lived, grown and grown with her. From that standpoint I developed a whole new appreciation for what she does in her career, whether musically or otherwise - she is a force that we will NEVER witness again - you can see it in HER EYES when she's on stage. A true dynamo who came up during the best era of music and pop culture ever - the 1980's.

So, yes, would I like to see her albums chart better, of course - some #1 songs would be very cool. But I understand, I am an adult who understands this culture we are are currently in and it is never going back to how things used to be :(, that's LIFE. On the other hand I can appreciate Madonna and her music now MORE than ever before because I have grown with her and the times, I may not be happy with the pop culture of today but it is what it is and at the end of the day....let's just enjoy the MUSIC!

As a wise woman once sang - dance and sing get up and do your thing - I know you will be Madonna, brava to you and your long, illustrious career so far!!!

Guest Pud Whacker

What a GREAT shot, thanks Puddy - I remember this from US magazine, rushing out to buy it back then...so crazy.

of course. love every second of it. xo

Feel it has been totally ok for a long time now that M dominance on the charts and some of the media obsession with her has faded. Would be more than just happy if she continues releasing albums as interesting and catchy as RH in the future. She's about moving on to the next challenging project and not being over sentimental about her past.

Exactly nick00 - you get it! :headbang:

Feel it has been totally ok for a long time now that M dominance on the charts and some of the media obsession with her has faded. Would be more than just happy if she continues releasing albums as interesting and catchy as RH in the future. She's about moving on to the next challenging project and not being over sentimental about her past.

This.

I thought this was common knowledge that Madonna's Top 40 radio days are over?

It will happen to every artist at some point, unless Top 40 evolves into a more diverse format that appeals to people other than teen and tween girls.

I cant even stomach Top 40 radio anymore at 32 years old. My dial is usually tuned to 106.7 Lite FM (which plays tons of Madonna and older songs I love) or to really age me, NPR. :lol:

I didn't leave Top 40 radio. Top 40 radio left me. :laugh:

Also album wise on a global scale its not like she is having Janet, Mariah, Jlo, Britney, Christina sized flops....yet.

I mean even with the state of album sales being in the dumps for 99% of all artists and Madonna's album leaking months in advance it still has done respectable business. Her team would be wise though to release her next album during the holiday buying rush instead of the time of year when sales are at their lowest in general . This obviously gave Confessions and nice extra push, at least in the states.

None of us care about commercial success because her career no longer depends on it. We're in the touring era for music artists to be seen as profitable. I don't care about people younger than me appreciating her because it's difficult to grasp the magnitude of Madonna if you were not there to witness her in her prime with the ecosystem in her favor. No internet. Everyone knew about her because of our limited media resources and she took up a lot of media real estate. I care about the music hence me being more critical of the output due to personal preference and not what will appeal to the public at large. Madonna will eventually receive the Kennedy Center Honor --- already inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame first year of eligibility. She has nothing to prove except to continue on. Because our appetite for all things Madonna has not slowed since first falling for her.

While visiting my 14 yr old nephew this summer I was very happy when I saw that he had purchased Rebel Heart on i-tunes. I asked him what made him wanna get it and he said that he loved "Ghosttown". He looked her up on youtube after reading the Rolling Stone interview from earlier this year. There ARE younger people discovering her music without radios help. Just thought I'd share :-)

From the very beginning, I never cared about chart success. I never cared which celebrities liked her. Or shit like that.

I wanted her music. I wanted to see her perform.

She has written so many songs for me. When I say "for me", I mean, she's always been there for me.

She still amazes me. Her music is my life story.

No one has done that for me. I love her.

Apparently you missed the point to my not-overly dramatic post. Let me be more clear: I was tired of reading articles all over the place and posts here that are always talking about and complaining about her chart performance and age.

Oh stop. Why is this over dramatic post necessary?! She will always be the Queen of pop regardless the generation or how insecure you feel about your age.

Exactly.

I thought this was common knowledge that Madonna's Top 40 radio days are over?

It will happen to every artist at some point, unless Top 40 evolves into a more diverse format that appeals to people other than teen and tween girls.

I cant even stomach Top 40 radio anymore at 32 years old. My dial is usually tuned to 106.7 Lite FM (which plays tons of Madonna and older songs I love) or to really age me, NPR. :lol:

I didn't leave Top 40 radio. Top 40 radio left me. :laugh:

Precisely.

None of us care about commercial success because her career no longer depends on it. We're in the touring era for music artists to be seen as profitable. I don't care about people younger than me appreciating her because it's difficult to grasp the magnitude of Madonna if you were not there to witness her in her prime with the ecosystem in her favor. No internet. Everyone knew about her because of our limited media resources and she took up a lot of media real estate. I care about the music hence me being more critical of the output due to personal preference and not what will appeal to the public at large. Madonna will eventually receive the Kennedy Center Honor --- already inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame first year of eligibility. She has nothing to prove except to continue on. Because our appetite for all things Madonna has not slowed since first falling for her.

Nice - that's the essence of my post.

From the very beginning, I never cared about chart success. I never cared which celebrities liked her. Or shit like that.

I wanted her music. I wanted to see her perform.

She has written so many songs for me. When I say "for me", I mean, she's always been there for me.

She still amazes me. Her music is my life story.

No one has done that for me. I love her.

I appreciate what you are saying agclef but I read the title of the thread as "None of this matters because we have to face facts , she's not gonna be played on radio or have chart success anymore."

That sounds like be happy because you can't win. The charts mattered to me in the 1980's as much as they do now. I listened to top 40 to hear new music period, not to cheer on my chosen pop star. Radio was more important because besides MTV I didn't have easy access to new music.

On a personal level I love what I love. I don't l love it in defiance because I have to "face facts." Her music still has to connect with me or impress me on some level.

My only problem with Billboard and radio is not whether or not her music connects with other people. My problem is how proud they are of announcing how Madonna is not relevant to younger listeners while making sure she doesn"t even get a chance to be relevant to a new listener. At least from their output.

Older stars when I was a teen got a chance on radio and the charts If the music connected with the listener. Not to mention the worship they got from the older stations playing their discography A-Z on holiday weekends or playing full albums. That's how I became very familiar with the music of the 60's and 70's and even 50's.

Have their been Madonna A-Z's on radio stations and I've missed them? I don't accept that people are not interested or interested in something until they are properly informed. Otherwise how they feel is not based on their own thoughts and feelings but what they are told to like and dislike.

How dare radio and Billboard work hard to manipulate the listeners likes and dislikes. I'm not saying "oh well, I need to face facts." They are trying to manipulate the public. I have a problem with that. I like the public having all the information they can get and then making an informed decision.

I agree with you and your celebration of Madonna and her work but I am very defiant of the "let's face facts." Madonna can evolve and leave behind these now limited forms of musical information and because they have proudly said they will not give Madonna's music a chance I would so love to see her pull ahead of them in regards to her new music being heard. One of the beauties of Madonna's career has been the media's inability to manipulate the public in their acceptance and love of Madonna and her music.

Loving Madonna has always been separate from her chart success. I just don't care for them trying to manipulate people and what they would most like is for people to "face facts." I'll face facts, radio and the charts have become even more ageist and sexist I am not letting it go.

I love Madonna.

A bona fide inspiration for the ages.

No one was ever like her, no one will ever be like her

She really came, saw, and conquered. And conquering still.

I confess, I still do care about her charts and boxscores successes

and I'm still hoping that she'll surprise us once again.

Whatever, though, she more than gave me what I needed/wanted as a fan already.

And I'm so proud to have been a fan since the beginning when i was still a child...

and this February will mark a new beginning in my fandom: I will finally see her.

After more than 33 long years!

Hey Larkspur - I really should have been more clear in what I wrote. It was in response to a lot of what i have been reading about people complaining of chart success, blah, blah, blah. None of my fandom is in defiance but rather in celebration because none of it matters and the point I was trying to make is that I understand and don't complain about it because it is human nature, the nature of the business, etc. I am happy with what she does if it connects to me as well. I haven't listened to radio since the early 90's, once I could make my own compilations (I started djaying), I had no need for it. So I have always discovered my own music without any swaying or manipulation whatsoever. That's really all. Thanks.

I appreciate what you are saying agclef but I read the title of the thread as "None of this matters because we have to face facts , she's not gonna be played on radio or have chart success anymore."

That sounds like be happy because you can't win. The charts mattered to me in the 1980's as much as they do now. I listened to top 40 to hear new music period, not to cheer on my chosen pop star. Radio was more important because besides MTV I didn't have easy access to new music.

On a personal level I love what I love. I don't l love it in defiance because I have to "face facts." Her music still has to connect with me or impress me on some level.

My only problem with Billboard and radio is not whether or not her music connects with other people. My problem is how proud they are of announcing how Madonna is not relevant to younger listeners while making sure she doesn"t even get a chance to be relevant to a new listener. At least from their output.

Older stars when I was a teen got a chance on radio and the charts If the music connected with the listener. Not to mention the worship they got from the older stations playing their discography A-Z on holiday weekends or playing full albums. That's how I became very familiar with the music of the 60's and 70's and even 50's.

Have their been Madonna A-Z's on radio stations and I've missed them? I don't accept that people are not interested or interested in something until they are properly informed. Otherwise how they feel is not based on their own thoughts and feelings but what they are told to like and dislike.

How dare radio and Billboard work hard to manipulate the listeners likes and dislikes. I'm not saying "oh well, I need to face facts." They are trying to manipulate the public. I have a problem with that. I like the public having all the information they can get and then making an informed decision.

I agree with you and your celebration of Madonna and her work but I am very defiant of the "let's face facts." Madonna can evolve and leave behind these now limited forms of musical information and because they have proudly said they will not give Madonna's music a chance I would so love to see her pull ahead of them in regards to her new music being heard. One of beauties of Madonna's career has been the media's inability to manipulate the public in their acceptance and love of Madonna and her music.

Loving Madonna has always been separate from her chart success. I just don't care for them trying to manipulate people and what they would most like is for people to "face facts." I'll face facts, radio and the charts have become even more ageist and sexist I am not letting it go.