25 Years of Entertainment Weekly and Madonna

HolidayGuy

The latest Entertainment Weekly features some 25-yar stuff (as it turned 25 this year). I spotted a few Madonna references (though there may be more).

1. In the Pop Culture Time Machine, the very first item for 1990 reads: "03-20 Madonna strikes a pose, vogues."

2. For one of The Shaw Report entries, it reads: In- Madonna; 5 Minutes Ago- Madonna; 25 Years Ago- Madonna. :)

3. 25 Red Carpet Looks That Lasted: Madonna at the Evita premiere, wearing Givenchy, is one of them.

Whenever EW has celerated a milestone, it's usually featured Madonna.

There is an EW book out titled The Must List, and I imagine there are some Madonna references in that, as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Madonna was a EW darling when the magazine started out (she was on their cover 3 times from spring of 1990-1991) until their 4th cover story on her for the SEX book in 1992. After that, they wrote some really NASTY articles on her and took swipes at her quite often. EW lost all credibility with me when they said she "was completely washed up" (for the zillionth time) in their 5th anniversary issue. When I saw her on the cover in 2001, I thought hell had frozen over, lol.

Madonna was a EW darling when the magazine started out (she was on their cover 3 times from spring of 1990-1991) until their 4th cover story on her for the SEX book in 1992. After that, they wrote some really NASTY articles on her and took swipes at her quite often. EW lost all credibility with me when they said she "was completely washed up" (for the zillionth time) in their 5th anniversary issue. When I saw her on the cover in 2001, I thought hell had frozen over, lol.

Holy shit. I am impressed by your memory =D

Guest Rocco Papa

Entertainment Weekly's Drowned World Tour cover has one of my all-time favorite Madonna headlines: "THE MOMMY RETURNS!" :lmao:

entertainment_weekly_madonna_july_27_200

Awww I remember I got that one when it first came out! This was when I first started becoming a fan and the concert was going to be on HBO. It was so exciting!!

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot all about this thread., :)

Anyhow, I don't recall any real nasty articles. It may have made a few snide remarks (like, saying it believes she was washed up when it had another anniversary issue- but then saying it will say so the next time she's on the cover- so, clearly it didn't think that). She was one of the year's top 12 Entertainers annually from 1990-1992.

Anyhow, you can see some of the lists here:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Must-List-Ranking-Culture/dp/1618931563

"Vogue" is No. 1 on the Best Videos list, and it's also one of the 25 "Best Singles" from 1990-2014. There's also a "By the Numbers" Madonna section, where it says "In her 33-year career, she's gone from being the Material Girl to the Queen of Pop. Long may she reign!"