What was wrong with "Hard Candy" anyway?!

mad4mad2

Guest bluejean

Listening to it now, it's a great album and then later on Pharrel became flavour of the month again. So songs like Give It 2 Me actually sound more current.

And btw I LOVE Give It 2 Me and I also love She's Not Me. And FYI Candy Shop was one of the highlights of the RHT.

Now this would have been a good album cover

tumblr_nd8xg3vq6f1qlycwjo1_1280.jpg

Athletic and agile Madonna photographed by Steven Meisel in 2008 for Vanity Fair magazine. She was about to turn 50 years old. This is the most remarkable woman who has ever lived. EVER!!!

Oh, and something annoying about the Hard Candyers is that they alwys defend the album in terms as "those who don't like it they weren't ready for MDolla" "they wanted ROL part II". Errmmm, nope. I love the unapologetic songs in Rebel Heart, BIM has more creativity in two beats than the whole 4 Minutes song. If you take the horns of 4 Minutes you get such a void that will turn to a black hole one of these days!

But one thing is true, though: HC isn't as bad as other people want to believe. It has really good tracks there. Once good thing about Madonna is that no matter what she releases, you know that at least 5 songs will be soooo great.

Incredible isa song of life. People that dislike it have never had good sex

Good trackis in the album are Give it To Me, Beat Goes On, Incredible and She's Not Me.

Then there's Devil, Miles Away and Candy Shop, that aren't that bad

I like Heartbeat a lot, but i understand those who abhore it. I just love it for no reason.

And there's the rest.

But the problem, always in my personal opinion, is the overall feeling. The same happens with MDNA. There's something robotic in the feeling of the era, the atmosphere, i can't explain it. But that feeling is that something that shouldn't be that way.

For me Madonna is about the emotion she gives me. When i heard COADF for the first time, i cried with Get Together, and I can't explain why. I got goosebumbs listening to American Life, i was stunned with Music, i cried with Swim... Always was a magical experiencie a Madonna album. Until HC and later MDNA. You can name at least 5 good songs on MDNA and others aren't that bad either. But the album is... off.

Celebration, the song, had a bit of the old magic, but only when I heard Living For Love did I feel the very same magic again. That invisible magic is all over Rebel Heart.

That divorce really, really affected her inspiration.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

The nasal vocals and the thin production. Otherwise it's not a bad record, although I haven't listened to it in years I did listen a lot when it came out.

Hard Candy is the first record Demo Castellon worked on explaining the thin nasal vocals. We must petition to have him fired before he ruins another album.

If i could go back in time i'll add "Take it back" and "Take a day" on the album ^^

I love Candy Shop but it's too long. The Rebel Heart edited version is a lot better and punchier (not repeating the first verse at the end completly unleash the energy of the track)

4 Minutes : i can't stand the Timbaland ad libs in the intro and outro. The voice is awful. It sounds robotic. Would have been better with real horns. Would have been EVEN better as a duet with Michael Jackson instead of a wannabe.

Heartbeat : is a nice electro funk track about losing yourself into dancing

Give it to me : is wonderful BUT there's something missing, i don't know what it is. It's an anthem but she does not sing it as an anthem, she does not give her all.

Miles away is perfect, i only miss the round bass from the demo produced by Danja

Incredible : I adore the second part of the song, love the part where she sings harder (i remember when), love the verses, absolutely HATE the chorus.

She's not me : perfect

Dance 2night : THAT BASS ! Even more than 4 minutes it should have been a duet with Michael Jackson, it screams "Off the wall" era

Spanish lesson : i love it but it should have been edited to a 3 minutes tops track.

Devil wouldn't recognize you : i adore this song but i hate the production. I never listen to the album version but i listen to the accoustic version made with steam made by Jorge. I hate hate hate the production on this one, it made a fantastic track generic. Basic.

Voices : The distortion and added phoned in lyrics ruin it. I like "Is this love : bon d'accord" way better.

Beat goes on : Fantastic !

There's no problem with the album in my opinion but I've always said it felt like Hard Candy should've come first and then Confessions On A Dancefloor should've come after. It felt a tad backwards to me but who cares lol

I've always called my own ass weird because "Incredible" is my favorite song on the album lol. Also love "Heartbeat", "Give It 2 Me", "Candy Shop", "Miles Away", "She's Not Me".... Those are my go to songs on HC.

Candy Shop was the single that never was. It'll be in all future tours and her next GH :lmao:

Even though I'm one of those fans who doesn't particularly like the album, I've never understood the hatred for "Candy Shop." Pharrell's tracks are the only bits worth listening to -- "Candy Shop" included. (Though I do skip "Incredible.")

It's the Timbaland / Timberlake stuff that I skip when listening.

Oh, and something annoying about the Hard Candyers is that they alwys defend the album in terms as "those who don't like it they weren't ready for MDolla" "they wanted ROL part II". Errmmm, nope. I love the unapologetic songs in Rebel Heart, BIM has more creativity in two beats than the whole 4 Minutes song. If you take the horns of 4 Minutes you get such a void that will turn to a black hole one of these days!

But one thing is true, though: HC isn't as bad as other people want to believe. It has really good tracks there. Once good thing about Madonna is that no matter what she releases, you know that at least 5 songs will be soooo great.

+ 1

The idea that people who don't like "Hard Candy" are only into electro music is wildly overgeneralized and perhaps a bit too desperately defensive of the album.

I don't care for the Timbaland half of the album, but I liked Timbaland from the late-90s to mid-00s. He was cutting edge with Missy and I loved what he did on "Loose." But his stuff here is all just a bit uninspired.

Guest rocketman

I dont see the connection to her first album. I see it more as BS part 2. yes the cover and shoot was horrible. She looked weathered. It's a nice pop/r&b album. Somehow it doesnt have a classic Madonna sound to it though. I have to admit that CS has now become one of my favs from the album now.

I must say that this album has dated very well, it sounds like it could have come out at any point in her career. There's some really great songs on there, she should have released 'Beat Goes On' or 'Devil Wouldn't Recognise You'. But that album cover though...I can forgive but I'll never forget ;)

It's aged surprisingly well. It reminds me of Bedtime Stoties in that regard. It's a fun, funky record with a consistent sound and groove. I loved it when it was released and continue to enjoy it to this day.

What was NOT consistent was the imagery. Just horrid on every level. I think that's where she went wrong with the campaign. MDNA isn't too far behind.

Nah. I disagree. The inagery was perfect. The cheeks. Sometimes she looked haggard. She looked tired at some time. It was authentic imagery that represented what Hard Candy was about - a woman going through a divorce and leaving something that was a big part of her life - Warner.

And yes. The pink candy and MDolla outfit was the perfect juxtaposition. That cover will catch your eye wherever you will go. It works.

Good trackis in the album are Give it To Me, Beat Goes On, Incredible and She's Not Me.

Then there's Devil, Miles Away and Candy Shop, that aren't that bad

I like Heartbeat a lot, but i understand those who abhore it. I just love it for no reason.

And there's the rest.

But the problem, always in my personal opinion, is the overall feeling. The same happens with MDNA. There's something robotic in the feeling of the era, the atmosphere, i can't explain it. But that feeling is that something that shouldn't be that way.

For me Madonna is about the emotion she gives me. When i heard COADF for the first time, i cried with Get Together, and I can't explain why. I got goosebumbs listening to American Life, i was stunned with Music, i cried with Swim... Always was a magical experiencie a Madonna album. Until HC and later MDNA. You can name at least 5 good songs on MDNA and others aren't that bad either. But the album is... off.

Celebration, the song, had a bit of the old magic, but only when I heard Living For Love did I feel the very same magic again. That invisible magic is all over Rebel Heart.

That divorce really, really affected her inspiration.

I missed this before, so I have to add: Yes!

This is really a nail-on-the-head post for me, including -- and especially -- the "I can't explain it."

I have struggled for years to describe my lack of excitement for both "Hard Candy" and "MDNA." I've used words like "bored" and "uninspired" to describe "HC" in earlier posts in this thread, but I think -- after reading your post -- the better way to describe it would be "emotionally disconnected."

There's a lot of appreciate musically on these two albums -- I very much like the melodies on "Hard Candy" -- but they don't make me feel anything. I don't feel urgency or frenetic energy that I feel when listening to her earlier work, or the deep sadness or joyfulness that comes through her deeper works, or the audaciousness of some of her more controversial and experimental work. These albums just feel ... disconnected.

I think this explains why so many of "Hard Candy"'s tracks come alive for me on Sticky -- I feel something when she sings "She's Not Me" and "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" live.

I can feel "Rebel Heart." I lit up when she released the first six tracks to iTunes. "Living for Love" and "Ghosttown" became instant classics for me, and "Bitch I'm Madonna" has become a personal anthem. "RH" felt like a return to form for me and I couldn't place why til now.

The biggest problem with Hard Candy is that I was a huge fan of Timbaland's work with Nelly Furtado and Justin's solo music.

So listening to HC feels like a big disappointment. Everyone involved with the project has done much better.

I can appreciate the songs on tour, though, at least they seem to come to life then.

No WITH the pink candy swirl that represents her pussy hole.

Alright, now we're coming into my area of expertise.

The pink candy swirl says it all. Especially since she's sitting with her legs spread. Pud is right. It symbolizes her sticky, sweet, raw, throbbing, hot, wet pu**y.

It's her dirtiest album cover. But most people are sheep and they don't get it.

I missed this before, so I have to add: Yes!

This is really a nail-on-the-head post for me, including -- and especially -- the "I can't explain it."

I have struggled for years to describe my lack of excitement for both "Hard Candy" and "MDNA." I've used words like "bored" and "uninspired" to describe "HC" in earlier posts in this thread, but I think -- after reading your post -- the better way to describe it would be "emotionally disconnected."

There's a lot of appreciate musically on these two albums -- I very much like the melodies on "Hard Candy" -- but they don't make me feel anything. I don't feel urgency or frenetic energy that I feel when listening to her earlier work, or the deep sadness or joyfulness that comes through her deeper works, or the audaciousness of some of her more controversial and experimental work. These albums just feel ... disconnected.

I think this explains why so many of "Hard Candy"'s tracks come alive for me on Sticky -- I feel something when she sings "She's Not Me" and "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" live.

I can feel "Rebel Heart." I lit up when she released the first six tracks to iTunes. "Living for Love" and "Ghosttown" became instant classics for me, and "Bitch I'm Madonna" has become a personal anthem. "RH" felt like a return to form for me and I couldn't place why til now.

Well, maybe it's us. You know, some regular people don't feel connected to Rebel Heart at all. I'm sometimes surprised when i read some comment in Facebook saying that the album is bad and all that. Other fans here don't seem to connect with Living For Love.

So maybe there's nothing wrong with HC and MDNA, simply we are in other frequency and Madonna was in another and we met again with RH.

Alright, now we're coming into my area of expertise.

The pink candy swirl says it all. Especially since she's sitting with her legs spread. Pud is right. It symbolizes her sticky, sweet, raw, throbbing, hot, wet pu**y.

It's her dirtiest album cover. But most people are sheep and they don't get it.

Look what this sheeps tells you!

c457b3e5b9230dcd2b57a92a070d3689ff79de21

:lmao::lmao: