What was wrong with "Hard Candy" anyway?!

mad4mad2

I just finished listening to it and I honestly don't get all the dislike borderline hate for it. Yes some songs are not great but so? Every album has those type of "meh" songs. Was it because of Justin? Was it because it wasn't COADF part II? Was the in your face album cover? What?

There's nothing really wrong with it. I think expectations were just unreasonably high after COADF and any album would've been somewhat of a letdown. Thankfully the release of the inferior MDNA made people (including myself) realize that Hard Candy wasn't so bad at all. It's extremely cohesive and contains some amazing songs. And I LOVE the cover.

There's nothing really wrong with it. I think expectations were just unreasonably high after COADF and any album would've been somewhat of a letdown. Thankfully the release of the inferior MDNA made people (including myself) realize that Hard Candy wasn't so bad at all. It's extremely cohesive and contains some amazing songs. And I LOVE the cover.

I Love the cover too.

Beat goes on and She's not me should have been singles...fuck those "oh no not another feauturing single!"...fuck the "oh no! She's not me sounds like calling out some pop princess no no people will call her jeaous or insecure"

1. People were used to her "classy/mature" persona circa 98-06 and was not ready for M-dolla

2. Everybody assumed HC to be trend-chasing because of 4 Minutes. It was NOT. The Pharrell tracks were fresh and ahead of its time.

3. She looked messy and images always affect the listening experience

4. People were not aware of her marriage in turmoil when the album was released, so they didn't grasp the core concept of the record.

I personally think that the lyrical content of HC is much more complex and dynamic than Music/American Life/Confessions, yet people keep calling HC shallow and immature which still makes me mad!

Absolutely nothing is wrong with it, it's a great album! "Candy Shop," "Give It 2 Me," "Heartbeat," "Spanish Lesson," Dance 2Night," and "Voices" are LIFE!!!!

People all have different tastes and Madonna's music is so varied so naturally people are going to have different favourite albums. What matters is that people enjoy the albums they love and not worry about other's personal taste.

when the news surfaced that she was about to collaborate with Timbaland and Pharrell, the album was dismissed right away and all the COADF loons started the bashing campaign. HC was supposed to be a dead on arrival type of album just because she didn't catter to the euro-trash dance loving gays. In many ways HC has a lot more DISCO music influences than COADF ever had.

when the news surfaced that she was about to collaborate with Timbaland and Pharrell, the album was dismissed right away and all the COADF loons started the bashing campaign. HC was supposed to be a dead on arrival type of album just because she didn't catter to the euro-trash dance loving gays. In many ways HC has a lot more DISCO music influences than COADF ever had.

100% agree

x3

I can't @ people constantly saying COADF is a return to her roots while HC is a non-Madonna sounding album. I'm not here to bash COADF (which I still love) but HC is THE throwback disco/funk record.

Nothing was wrong. The album is great, the problem comes from some fans who don't like R&B and think Madonna should not explore this genre. But well, bitch, she's Madonna! :stir:

There's nothing wrong with HC, it's a great album, although I agree it had a lot to match up to post COADF, however, HC has aged incredibly well and still sounds fresh.

It's not a bad album not the the best it has some great songs. I love gi2m, miles away, devil doesn't recognize you. I like it better then AL album.

I get the whole "came a bit late" after all the Timbaland and Justin stuff but then look at the 20/20 experience. And then Pharell with Robin Thicke etc so in a way she was a bit ahead of the curve. It was like a bit late to the party with things too early for everyone to appreciate