REBEL HEART REWIND REASSESSMENT RANKING: Where would it rank in her catalogue?

- Rebel Heart is amazing. Madonna is in a very tricky stage in her career given her age and the genre she is playing in. Rebel Heart does the impossible: it is catchy and modern while also mature (unlike MDNA). It succeeds on that level and that alone is a huge feat. It's given her back some artistry in the public's eye.

- To that guy who thinks the Avicci sound is fresh... get a grip. Aviccii is more dated than a vocoder.

:clap:

3 comments:

- Rebel Heart is amazing. Madonna is in a very tricky stage in her career given her age and the genre she is playing in. Rebel Heart does the impossible: it is catchy and modern while also mature (unlike MDNA). It succeeds on that level and that alone is a huge feat. It's given her back some artistry in the public's eye.

- To that guy who thinks the Avicci sound is fresh... get a grip. Aviccii is more dated than a vocoder. Thank god she switched the sound around last minute. Sure, the demo of Rebel Heart is radio friendly BUt also dull, dull, dull.

- Fans really don't like True Blue!! WTF... it's amazing (even if it is her most pop)

I have true blue at the bottom but doesn't mean I don't like it, I think most people agree she doesn't have a bad album

- To that guy who thinks the Avicci sound is fresh... get a grip. Aviccii is more dated than a vocoder. Thank god she switched the sound around last minute. Sure, the demo of Rebel Heart is radio friendly BUt also dull, dull, dull.

:dead:

It's moved up for. Theres a handful of songs that I don't like but there are SOOO MANY songs, so there is a lot to love.

1 ray of light

2 like a prayer

3 confessions

4 true blue

5 rebel heart

6 erotica

7 bedtime stories

8 madonna

9 mdna

10 American life

11 like a virgin

12 music

Rebel Heart has many great moments/songs but as an album I find it too long and a few tracks just shouldn't have made the cut.

Ray Of Light

Like A Prayer

True Blue

Bedtime Stories

American Life

Erotica

Music

Madonna

Like A Virgin

Confessions

Rebel Heart

MDNA

Hard Candy

3 comments:

- Fans really don't like True Blue!! WTF... it's amazing (even if it is her most pop)

exactly, the Avicci sound is old and has-been

Kanye sound is timeless..really.

1. American Life

2. Ray of light

3. Confessions on a dance floor

4. Music

5. Madonna

6. Bedtime stories

7. Like a prayer

8. Rebel Heart

9. Erotica

10. Hard Candy

11. True blue

12. MDNA

13. Like a virgin

Guest bluejean

Rebel Heart is one of the best eras ever.

SO many songs on the album. SO many unreleased demos leaked it's mind boggling. More promo than we've ever had. And a fabulous tour. Maybe not the best album or tour as a whole but overall it's the quintessential Madonna era imo.

Rebel Heart is one of the best eras ever.

SO many songs on the album. SO many unreleased demos leaked it's mind boggling. More promo than we've ever had. And a fabulous tour. Maybe not the best album or tour as a whole but overall it's the quintessential Madonna era imo.

I agree that the era has been amazing. But when asessing the album against past projects, I found out I ended cutting my played tracks to about 12-13, whereas with other albums (the ones above RH in my list), I usally skip 1-2 tracks at most.

Nonetheless, RH is a wonderful return to form, and it contains some awesome gems that are already in my top20 Madonna tracks ever.

• 2 weeks later...

1. American Life (If released in a different time.. you know rest of the story..)

2. Music (The first album that caught my attention so much that I had to buy my first M album)

3. Confessions on a dance floor (Madonna was a different beast during this era. Almost untouchable. Confessions Tour is still my favorite Madonna tour)

4. Rebel Heart (Very strong album. It's just too long. To get this near to my holy trifecta is pretty damn good!)

5. Bedtime Stories (Even thought considered a mainstream album at the time released, it has aged really well and has some of the most underrated gems on it.)

6. Ray of Light

7. Madonna (Still has it!)

8. Like A Prayer

9. Like a Virgin (This used to be my least favorite Madonna album, but it has some great pop songs and refuses to get old.)

10. True Blue

11. Hard Candy (This still don't feel like a true Madonna album, but I have started to like a bit more lately.)

12. Erotica (I have never quite liked it. Just not my thing.)

13. I'm Breathless (Strike a pose!)

14. MDNA (Even with amazing songs like Gang Bang, Love Spent and Free Falling it's just a mess.)

1. Music - A PERFECT album (well, maybe ONE thing wrong: it's too short!)

2. Ray of Light - A total and utter masterpiece loved by fans, critics, and casuals alike - most importantly for me: loved by me! :)

3. American Life - it's not perfect, but it's so damned good and SO ahead of its time. Brilliant!

4. Rebel Heart - like Soma above, it's DAMNED good to get THIS close to my holy trifecta. But, it is too long, and contains some real clunkers (though that is somewhat of an M tradition)

5. Like A Prayer

6. Erotica

These next ones, I truly love all at the same level. But, their order can change any day, depending on my mood:

7. Confessions on a Dancefloor - and, The Confessions Tour remains my fave tour by any artist, ever!

8. Hard Candy - truly don't get all the hate this album gets, it's absolutely amazing! Incredible, HB and SL, notwithstanding.

9. MDNA - same applies, here, too - Superstar, SG and BS, notwithstanding

The rest - still amazing, just a little lower on the list:

10. Bedtime Stories - it's aged extremely well!

11. Madonna - the classic...the beginning of it all...amazing...however, still not an M top 10, for me...but, completely essential!

12. True Blue

13/14. Tie: Like A Virgin/I'm Breathless - You know what? No. Correction...

13. I'm Breathless - at least there's a coherent theme in this one. LAV, on the other hand...

14. Like A Virgin - great singles, but on a whole, the worst M album, IMO.

:)

The Top 3 is really hard to penetrate...

1. Like A Prayer

2. Ray Of Light

3. COADF

4. True Blue

5. Erotica

6. Rebel Heart

7. Bedtime Stories

8. Hard Candy

9. Like A Virgin

10. Music

11. Madonna

12. MDNA

13. American Life

Up there with her best. And the fact that I loved RH tour from start to finish just shows how strong that album is (ala Confessions Tour)! Its in sharp contrast with HC (which I initially didn't obsess over, it wasn't my thing, though there were gems) or MDNA (which initially I loved but it hasn't aged that good). It really is an amazing strong album!

I stand by my ranking from this summer, with the exception that I'm moving from "Rebel Heart" from the second tier to the first (though still keeping it at four overall):

PERFECT:

• Music
  • Like a Prayer
  • Ray of Light
  • Rebel Heart

EXCELLENT:
  • Erotica
  • Like a Virgin
  • True Blue
  • Madonna
  • Bedtime Stories

GOOD: