Why is American Life (album) better than any 80's M album?

mad4mad2

I thought my answers were clear but i guess not. Oh and since you like questions here is some for you: What do you think about MDNA? Do you like songs like GGW? Did you enjoyed the MDNA Tour?

Given the state of affair she was in while making MDNA, I think it's one of her most personal albums since LAP and ROL. She spilled her guts out in Love Spent. The title alone tells all. The song is full of heartache. I'm particularly touched by I Fu**ed Up. That song is full of regret. Regret for who, we don't really know..maybe Sean? I have thought back on many relationships in my life and thought how much I screwed something up. It's hard to live with yourself. IFU tells a great tale of that. She stuck to what she knows best and gave a good balance of dance and artful, meaningful songs. This album is full of vulnerability and that's the Madonna I like. She's not afraid to say what she feels.

I think it missed the dignified approach a little with Girls Gone Wild, but at the same time made it fun. It's a dance classic song in my book. And, tongue and cheek. I love that I'm A Sinner is full of 'in you face' lyrics. Like she's saying 'I sin and fuck around, what are you gonna do about it'? Again, classic Madonna attitude that I love. I know a lot of people on this forum didn't like the mixing/production. I agree it is too compressed, but I got used to it.

MDNA was great! The sound was not balanced correctly in the arena however. (San Jose). I was well surprised that she ended with Celebration, but thought it was a nice touch. Her stage presence is glorious. She worked the crowd and I had a blast. Sparked up after the show for the drive home and re-lived the whole concert in my head.

Guest Rachelle of London

Given the state of affair she was in while making MDNA, I think it's one of her most personal albums since LAP and ROL. She spilled her guts out in Love Spent. The title alone tells all. The song is full of heartache. I'm particularly touched by I Fu**ed Up. That song is full of regret. Regret for who, we don't really know..maybe Sean? I have thought back on many relationships in my life and thought how much I screwed something up. It's hard to live with yourself. IFU tells a great tale of that. She stuck to what she knows best and gave a good balance of dance and artful, meaningful songs. This album is full of vulnerability and that's the Madonna I like. She's not afraid to say what she feels.

I think it missed the dignified approach a little with Girls Gone Wild, but at the same time made it fun. It's a dance classic song in my book. And, tongue and cheek. I love that I'm A Sinner is full of 'in you face' lyrics. Like she's saying 'I sin and fuck around, what are you gonna do about it'? Again, classic Madonna attitude that I love. I know a lot of people on this forum didn't like the mixing/production. I agree it is too compressed, but I got used to it.

MDNA was great! The sound was not balanced correctly in the arena however. (San Jose). I was well surprised that she ended with Celebration, but thought it was a nice touch. Her stage presence is glorious. She worked the crowd and I had a blast. Sparked up after the show for the drive home and re-lived the whole concert in my head.

I don't think Dave expected you to like MDNA :lmao:

Guest Rachelle of London

Omg! Lol why Am I being interrogated?! :lmao:

I just feel that her newer music is not being valued enough compared to her older music that's all. Sure, most of her fans here are older and stuck in (the 80's) their ways, likes and dislikes so for them the only Music that matters and truly enjoy is the old stuff. Just go to the RH tour thread and you'll see them winning about "everybody" or "who is that girl" not being included. Lol

I'm included in the group of younger fans in this forum and I wanna hear Everybody and Who's That Girl. Your comments about older fans make you come across as stuck in your ways. Maybe at your RH shows you should ask Guy O to get M to perform nothing made before 2003 as your so young and all.

Omg! Lol why Am I being interrogated?! :lmao:

I just feel that her newer music is not being valued enough compared to her older music that's all. Sure, most of her fans here are older and stuck in (the 80's) their ways, likes and dislikes so for them the only Music that matters and truly enjoy is the old stuff. Just go to the RH tour thread and you'll see them winning about "everybody" or "who is that girl" not being included. Lol

I am not big on a lot of the '80's music either and don't like the pressure from fans to perform hits when she would rather be doing the newer stuff if that is what you mean. OTOH, if AL songs were officially on the setlist and then disappeared I'm pretty sure there would be questioning of that too. :D

What a silly thread, I'm sorry.

I'm sick and tired of people putting down specific albums or tours of M so they can praise another one. Just some days ago I've seen some fans on Twitter, YT or other forums putting down the MDNA Tour, which according to them was "cold" and "unappealing" compared to RH. When it should be clear as day she had a completely different vision and intention with her show than she has now.

It's the same for her music. American Life deals with themes M would have never been able to explore with her first albums, she was in a completely different point of her career and life. And let's not even start comparing the production and sound, we're talking about albums that were recorded close to 20 years apart.

Oh and dismissing her 80's music as fluffy doesn't even make sense in the first place, because you know, Like A Prayer would like to say hello...

There is no way her 80's classics are overrated. These are songs that changed the course of popular music forever. Sorry but you can't overrate that. It's like people saying Beatles, MJ and Elvis are overrated. Someone/thing that changes the course of popular music history cannot be overstated......personal opinion of the people/music aside. Also, it's the MASSIVE and UNIVERSAL love of that era of her career that allowed her to become experimental with her work in the 90's and beyond. There seems to be this perception that if a song isn't "experimental" in sound and "deep" and serious in subject matter then it can't possibly be considered brilliant. AL definitely has brilliant moments and I can agree it is underrated to a degree, but nothing on it even comes close to stuff like Like A Prayer and Live To Tell......or even Into The Groove and Express Yourself for that matter.

With all of that said, I find her 2003 and beyond music to be TERRIBLY underrated amongst the general public and even a good segment of diehards don't appreciate it as it deserves to be. HC, MDNA etc are terribly under appreciated in my opinion.

I'm sick and tired of people putting down specific albums or tours of M so they can praise another one. Just some days ago I've seen some fans on Twitter, YT or other forums putting down the MDNA Tour, which according to them was "cold" and "unappealing" compared to RH. When it should be clear as day she had a completely different vision and intention with her show than she has now.

It's the same for her music. American Life deals with themes M would have never been able to explore with her first albums, she was in a completely different point of her career and life. And let's not even start comparing the production and sound, we're talking about albums that were recorded close to 20 years apart.

Oh and dismissing her 80's music as fluffy doesn't even make sense in the first place, because you know, Like A Prayer would like to say hello...

:clap:

The joys a being a Madonna fan, so spoilt for choice with so many different songs for different moods we compete internally. Listening to AL should tell you exactly why they are not better or worse, just different songs from a different life.

Very true! I don't think Janet fans are arguing whether Rhythm Nation or 20 Y.O. is a better album. We are so incredibly spoiled as M fans!!

:thumbsup::clap: Thank you Nonoka.

I have nothing against older Madonna loving fans I love all of her music but for me American Life is better than every single 80's Madonna album. That is all. But wait... would you be happier if i change the tittle of this thread to: "Why American Life (album) better than MDNA and HC?

I would have the same reaction as your other heading. Can't see the point in setting up these comparisons with other albums and you are just trying to bait people.