Bad Girl... Please Discuss

tasteinmen

I love this song so much, one of my favourites, but when I saw the chart performance I was shocked, it seemed every other single of Erotica did a lot better, even if it did manage to get to number 10 in the UK.

I also love the video, think it's very fitting, and a reminder of the early 90s and the beautiful cinematography back then, before everything became so cold.

Such a great atmospheric track, but also so different and refreshing.

What y'all think?

I adore everything about it. I kind of like that it wasn't a huge hit, it's like a hidden gem that I love re visiting.
The video is perfection and the fact that it wasn't often played on tv back then makes it extra special, I never get bored of watching it. M is so beautiful. love love love it!

Guest CzarnaWisnia

I like the song a lot (and the SNL live was amazing), but not so much the video, which I find weirdly conservative. Unless I'm mistaken, it was planned as the second single after Erotica... Strange choice because it's not very radio-friendly or that commercial.

Love the song and lyrics...My fave video of all time! She's so beautiful in the video. Fell in love immediately with her look. I was teen back then and find her image in the previous two videos weird. So her look in BG was a breath of fresh air.

I fell in love with this song as soon as I heard it. Problem with its chart performance was once again the major backlash Madonna suffered after releasing Sex. She was practically blacklisted everywhere and both radio and MTV stopped playing her videos as much. Don't think people had actually heard the song back then; they must have just focused on the title - Bad Girl - and assumed it was another Erotica sort of song since that was the idea of Madonna back then. If I don't go wrong even the video was rumoured to be much more controversial and racy. Didn't she film that X rated video for Snake Eyes during the filming of Bad Girl but they refused to play it for the video?

This song means the world to me.

The video is so beautiful. I like the part where she throws her panties in the bathroom sink.

Oh, and I love the kitty.

I only noticed the underwear in the sink first the first time last night, is this because she hasn't been home in a few days?

Glad my brother bought the single, those Erotoca remixes are great and the single cover fits perfectly.

I adore this song, the lyrics are perfect, the melody BUT i have a problem with some of her vocals on it, she sounds way too nasal in some parts (just like on deeper and deeper). I wish for an accoustic performance of it with her lower register. It's a torch song that is asking for a reinvention.

Not heard this demo before - I think the guitars give it some much needed depth. Regardless, it's still one of my favourite songs and videos.

If I remember correctly, in the UK it rarely got any video play because of the themes of violence in the video, along with smoking - back in the 90s, smoking was banned from being aired in music videos.

Everything is perfect about Bad Girl. And the video was incredibly edgy back then. How can anyone call it conservative??? Is about a depressed and lonely woman whose actions lead her to death!!! And it's so beautifully made!!!

Amazing song and one of my favourite M videos. I'm really hoping she works with David Fincher again (just think of how good Devil Pray could be), even though at this stage it's unlikely.

Amazing song and one of my favourite M videos. I'm really hoping she works with David Fincher again (just think of how good Devil Pray could be), even though at this stage it's unlikely.

A DP video with D F would be incredible...but we know it´s not happening.

Everything is perfect about Bad Girl. And the video was incredibly edgy back then. How can anyone call it conservative??? Is about a depressed and lonely woman whose actions lead her to death!!! And it's so beautifully made!!!

This.

This is a real masterpiece. From beginning to end.