Borderline or Lucky Star which one came first ?

Roland Barthes

I'm confused. I've always thought Lucky star was the last single to be released from the first album due to Borderline being a huge hit and against Madonna's will because she wanted to release Like a virgin.

Now i'm reading that Lucky Star was released first. Wikipedia, Discogs....they all put Lucky Star before Borderline. On Discogs is even worst since it seems like it was released under various covers in the US and UK. Then there's the special 12" with Borderline & Lucky Star Jellybean remixes.

I was sure the video for Lucky star was shot after the one for Bordeline.

Can somebody please clear this up for me ? Thanks.

Oh and speaking of that 12" of Borderline/Lucky Star how come they green lighted a picture on the cover where she looks like she has a lazy eye (the left one in the shadow)?

R-2505097-1287682471.jpeg.jpg

I can only speak for Australia but Lucky Star was the last single released. I always remember Madonna saying that she was anxious to release her new album with Nile Rogers - as we now know was Like a Virgin - but the record company wanted to release another single to capitalize on the success of Borderline. Lucky Star was definitely released after Borderline.

Lucky Star was a single in England in October 1983 - it's even referred to as the only highlight in the negative NME album review.

It was also a double A-side with Holiday when it topped the club charts in 1983... it was reissued after her success, but I'm not sure if the Borderline video came first.

On August 27 1983, Holiday/Lucky Star made its debut on Billboard’s Hot Dance Music/Club Play chart in the U.S., entering at #31.

The promo-only double A-side single was serviced to clubs by Sire/Warner in order to gauge public interest before deciding which track should be promoted to radio. Although technically serving as the B-side, Holiday was given top billing for its chart entry when it proved to be the more popular selection with club DJ’s. It was subsequently issued as Madonna’s third commercial single in North America, while Lucky Star was released as her fifth single a year later.

lucky-star-holiday-us-promo-550.jpg?w=70

http://todayinmadonnahistory.com/2015/08/27/today-in-madonna-history-august-27-1983/

What a mess :laugh:

So Lucky Star was released first as a double A-side with Holiday but without a Jellybean remix or video in september of 1983. It was then released as a single in the UK with a diferent cover then another one for a re-release but with a video this time. It still can't figure it out :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Oh well

In the UK, Madonna's singles were released in the following order:

Everybody

Lucky Star (re-promoted after the success of Holiday)

Holiday

Borderline (re-promoted in early 1986)

In the US, the order was as follows:

Everybody

Burning Up

Holiday

Borderline

Lucky Star

In Australia, the order was as follows:

Burning Up

Holiday

Borderline

Lucky Star

New Zealand had the same order as Australia, with the addition of Everybody (before Burning Up).

The reason why Lucky Star precedes Borderline on TIC is because LS saw a single release in a major territory (the UK) before Borderline (even though the LS video wasn't filmed until immediately after the Borderline one).

In the UK, Madonna's singles were released in the following order:

Everybody

Lucky Star (re-promoted after the success of Holiday)

Holiday

Borderline (re-promoted in early 1986)

In the US, the order was as follows:

Everybody

Burning Up

Holiday

Borderline

Lucky Star

In Australia, the order was as follows:

Burning Up

Holiday

Borderline

Lucky Star

New Zealand had the same order as Australia, with the addition of Everybody (before Burning Up).

The reason why Lucky Star precedes Borderline on TIC is because LS saw a single release in a major territory (the UK) before Borderline (even though the LS video wasn't filmed until immediately after the Borderline one).

thank you :inlove:

Guest Pud Whacker

The order is

Lucky Star

Borderline

on The Immaculate Collection album/video

which keeps things confused IMO

thats because she wanted the song she wrote to appear first.

on radio and MTV Borderline came first. its the song that broke her. Lucky Star came after and stalled the release of Like a Virgin because it was so successful.

Wow, I thought the Lucky Star video was what made madonna famous with all of the teen girls, then it was followed by "Borderline"....which had the higher-budget video. I'm so confused. I blame old age. lol :D

I can never understand why the UK got Lucky Star as the second single when everywhere else got Burning Up that had a video! She even performed BU with Holiday when she came here!

LS was released in the U.S. just because of the success of the album and only released as a proper A side in Japan, U.S. and the UK which is surprising given how well known the song is. However Nile Rodgers did say they were surprised at the success so it would explain the odd release schedule.

Was Lucky Star re-released as a proper 7" single in the US after Borderline ? Looking at Discogs and comparing releases it seems like Borderline was released in the US without the Jellybean New Mix in february of 1984, just the 7" (with poster bag and all).

Then Borderline was released in the UK in may of 1984 with the Jellybean new mix. In the US they released the special 12" (with the Borderline new mix by Jellybean on the A side and a new Lucky Star Jellybean remix as a b side) to surf on the Borderline success and the Lucky Star video was shot to promote this 12" and to showcase the "Madonna look" (which was starting to become popular but was not that obvious in the Borderline video due to the edit that rather followed the storyline). The Lucky Star video looks like a commercial for the "Madonna look".

What do you think ?

Guest Pud Whacker

in the US this is how it played out.

in 1982 Everybody was released. it was a club hit. the video was played nowhere (maybe a few NY clubs).

in mid 1983 Burning Up is released as a double A side with Physical Attraction. PA actually more of a club hit, Burning Up video had minor club play but not on MTV.

Holiday was released in the final quarter of '83 because of Jellybean and the DJ's loyalty to their own. it became her first cross-over Billboard Hot 100 hit.

while in the UK promoting Holiday and her first album, she discusses that she will fly back to Los Angeles to shoot the video for Borderline - in which she plays a "Lolita-like character".

while in LA, she shoots Borderline and Lucky Star a few weeks apart. Sire/Warner believes Borderline is good for US radio and MTV and sends Lucky Star to club DJ's in the UK. shes still struggling in that market.

Borderline single is released in the US. she get her first top 10. the 12" has both Borderline and Lucky Star remixes.

Madonna becomes big on MTV with Borderline - her first Top 10. she goes into the studio with Nile Rogers to work on her follow up - Like a Virgin. they complete production around April. she cant wait to get it out. but Borderline is STILL lingering and shes praying for it to go away so can unleash Virgin to the world.

because the album is SELLING and doing so well and Madonna is becoming so big, Sire/Warner decide to release Lucky Star as a proper single and the video is already shot. they send song to radio and video to MTV.

Lucky Star is the song of that summer. her first Top 5. because she is so big now, they start playing Burning Up on the radio and Everybody. MTV will play the BU video but never Everybody! local video shows would play both. like MV3 here in Los Angeles.

this delays the release of Virgin and madonna is not happy.

she is nominated for Best New Artist for Borderline at the first MTV music awards. they expected her to sing the song she is nominated for. she does Like a Virgin two months before the record release.

Madonna become a global superstar. and while the UK virtually ignored her first stuff, she is so big now, they RERELEASE the first album over there with that very title and new artwork. Madonna: The First Album.

all the songs that had their day in 83/84 now reemerge on the UK charts in 85.

there you have it.

in 1982 Everybody was released. it was a club hit. the video was played nowhere (maybe a few NY clubs).

in mid 1983 Burning Up is released as a double A side with Physical Attraction. PA actually more of a club hit, Burning Up video had minor club play but not on MTV.

Holiday was released in the final quarter of '83 because of Jellybean and the DJ's loyalty to their own. it became her first cross-over Billboard Hot 100 hit.

while in the UK promoting Holiday and her first album, she discusses that she will fly back to Los Angeles to shoot the video for Borderline - in which she plays a "Lolita-like character".

while in LA, she shoots Borderline and Lucky Star a few weeks apart. Sire/Warner believes Borderline is good for US radio and MTV and sends Lucky Star to club DJ's in the UK. shes still struggling in that market.

Borderline single is released in the US. she get her first top 10. the 12" has both Borderline and Lucky Star remixes.

Madonna becomes big on MTV with Borderline - her first Top 10. she goes into the studio with Nile Rogers to work on her follow up - Like a Virgin. they complete production around April. she cant wait to get it out. but Borderline is STILL lingering and shes praying for it to go away so can unleash Virgin to the world.

because the album is SELLING and doing so well and Madonna is becoming so big, Sire/Warner decide to release Lucky Star as a proper single and the video is already shot. they send song to radio and video to MTV.

Lucky Star is the song of that summer. her first Top 5. because she is so big now, they start playing Burning Up on the radio and Everybody. MTV will play the BU video but never Everybody! local video shows would play both. like MV3 here in Los Angeles.

she is nominated for Best New Artist for Borderline at the first MTV music awards. they expected her to sing the song she is nominated for. she does Like a Virgin two months before the record release.

Madonna become a global superstar. and while the UK virtually ignored her first stuff, she is so big now, they RERELEASE the first album over there with that very title and new artwork. Madonna: The First Album.

there you have it.

:thumbsup:

It's funny, having grown-up and lived through that era I remember very clearly that Lucky Star was played before Borderline, even it it was unofficial, then Borderline broke Madonna onto the scene and then Lucky Star became an instant smash as the follow-up, still one of my favorites 'till today (as evidenced by my avatar ;) )

Anyway, as for the eye, I think that has a little to do with her heavy eyelids and the angle, GORGEOUS though, no matter what!!!

I'm confused. I've always thought Lucky star was the last single to be released from the first album due to Borderline being a huge hit and against Madonna's will because she wanted to release Like a virgin.

Now i'm reading that Lucky Star was released first. Wikipedia, Discogs....they all put Lucky Star before Borderline. On Discogs is even worst since it seems like it was released under various covers in the US and UK. Then there's the special 12" with Borderline & Lucky Star Jellybean remixes.

I was sure the video for Lucky star was shot after the one for Bordeline.

Can somebody please clear this up for me ? Thanks.

Oh and speaking of that 12" of Borderline/Lucky Star how come they green lighted a picture on the cover where she looks like she has a lazy eye (the left one in the shadow)?

there you have it.

Yes, the new artwork appeared during the summer of 85 as I was annoyed as I just bought the old version (which I'm glad I have now!). They also added ITG to LAV album too.

Only the 12" for Holiday, LS and Borderline were re-released in 85. BU and Everybody were only available as US imports. Holiday re-entered the charts getting to No.2 the same week ITG was No.1 and CFY was still in the top twenty.

LS didn't re-chart and Borderline actually got a proper release in early 1986 supposedly to distract from Jellybean's release of Sidewalk Talk!

I thought Lisa Stevens said in a recent interview that radio picked up on Holiday and started playing it so a rushed edit was released to DJs and that's also why there's no video.

Guest whatatramp

Let's ask Bridget Jones

:dead:

I hate you for pointing this out :lmao: I'm sure she was thrilled

Yes, the new artwork appeared during the summer of 85 as I was annoyed as I just bought the old version (which I'm glad I have now!). They also added ITG to LAV album too.

Only the 12" for Holiday, LS and Borderline were re-released in 85. BU and Everybody were only available as US imports. Holiday re-entered the charts getting to No.2 the same week ITG was No.1 and CFY was still in the top twenty.

LS didn't re-chart and Borderline actually got a proper release in early 1986 supposedly to distract from Jellybean's release of Sidewalk Talk!

I thought Lisa Stevens said in a recent interview that radio picked up on Holiday and started playing it so a rushed edit was released to DJs and that's also why there's no video.

IIRC the original release of Madonna got to no 38 on the UK album charts, the one with the disgusting cover and title already with an eye on history got to #6 of course and must have been in the top 10 the same time as LAV. One of the early cash-ins by the greedy UK arm of Warners, I was so annoyed they did that and had to buy US import CD for the original cover.

Dead @ that lazy eye Borderline pic :rotfl:

The Everybody video should've been on Celebration (it's available on iTunes) but isn't quite a proper video is it? Did Burning Up get any video play on TV at all at the time? It should've, it's one of my faves by her :dramatic::wow::inlove: I loved discovering this brand new video on the Madonna video EP.

I still don't know whether Physical Attraction was really a double A-side - it was in the clubs (like Holiday/Lucky Star). Wikipedia seems to say no :confused: - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_Up_(Madonna_song)

there you have it.

you're amazing

this reminds me of bridget jones where she talks about lucky star or holiday being her fist UK hit :)