Things you were expecting.

cjc

Yeah, she really needs to be in one more movie, even if its a smaller part .... a musical would be cool, and I'd love for it all to go well for her in terms of response and box office. It would be cool for her to have one more.

Oh and we all know she is a great director, and the woman is a stickler for continuing things until SHE wants to stop, so I hope a future directorial outing for her will give her some great recognition. To start with, I'd like for her to pick a movie that is more accessible to the masses so maybe it could be a box office success.

I did not start following rumors or engaging in fan speculation until I graduated from fandom to full-on loon in 1998, but these are the rumors / expectations that I can recall from over the years:

• "Ray of Light" was going to hit number one in the U.S.
  • "Sky Fits Heaven" was to be a single after "Ray of Light"
  • "The Power of Goodbye" was going to hit number one in the U.S. (I cannot remember why so many people believed this)
  • "Ray of Light" was going to win Album of the Year at the Grammys
  • "Nothing Really Matters" was going to be a massive single, with a mega promo campaign launched after the Grammys
  • "Veronica Electronica" -- a "Ray of Light" remix album -- was to be released in 1999
  • "Skin" was to be the sixth single from "Ray of Light" / the first single from "Veronica Electronica"
  • 1999 summer tour -- later rumored to be a 1999 fall tour -- was to focus almost entirely on new material
  • "Beautiful Stranger" was going to hit number one in the U.S.
  • "Beautiful Stranger" was going to hit the top 10 in the U.S. (after it was clear that there'd be no physical single)
  • "Be Careful" was to be a single in late 1999 / early 2000
  • Madonna was to star in "50 Violins" / "Music of the Heart"
  • Madonna was to headline the 2000 Superbowl, at which she'd debut "American Pie" (Can you imagine? :wow: )
  • "Music" would spend more than four weeks at number one in the U.S. (we were so greedy back then, acting like six weeks at number two was a letdown)
  • "Music" was to have five more singles so that Warners could promote it in both the Christmas 2000 and Christmas 2001 seasons
  • "What it Feels like for a Girl" was to be the second single from "Music"
  • "What it Feels like for a Girl" was going to hit the top 10 in the U.S.
  • "Paradise" was to be a single to promote both "Music" and "Production"
  • "Amazing" was to be the fourth single from "Music"
  • "Impressive Instant" was to be the fourth single from "Music"
  • Drowned World Tour set list included a full performance of "Open Your Heart" all the way until the final week of rehearsals
  • Drowned World Tour was to include the English version of "What it Feels like for a Girl" in the UK and U.S.
  • Drowned World Tour DVD would include "You'll See" performance and Brixton show as special features
  • Madonna was to dedicate "Gone" to Aaliyah at the Detroit show
  • "GHV2" was to be called "The Immaculate Collection 2" or "The Second Coming" (there was a third title that was heavily rumored, but I can't recall it now -- something like "Hits Lady," I think)
  • "GHV2" was to have a chronological track listing, like "The Immaculate Collection"
  • "GHV2" was to have one or two new tracks
  • "GHV2" was to include "Impressive Instant," which was to be released as a single to promote both "Music" and "GHV2"
  • "GHV2" was to have live versions of "Music" and "Holiday" from the Drowned World Tour, both to be released as singles
  • Madonna was to star in "Chicago"
  • Madonna would contribute two tracks to the "Die Another Day" soundtrack
  • "Die Another Day" was going to hit number one in the U.S.
  • "American Life" was to be called "Hollywood"
  • "Hollywood" was to be the lead single
  • "Nobody Knows Me" was to be 10 minutes long on the album
  • "Mother and Father" was to be an acoustic song
  • "X-Static Process" was to be a dance song
  • "American Life" (original video) would get released, banned, and made a video single like "Justify my Love"
  • "Intervention" or "Love Profusion" would be second single after "American Life" flop
  • VMAs performance would rescue "American Life" from totally flopping (so naive)
  • "Remixed and Revisited" was to include a number of re-recorded hits, a la "Into the Hollywood Groove"
  • "Remixed and Revisited" was to be promoted with one or more new tracks
  • 20th anniversary box (2003) set was to include Blond Ambition DVD release (still waiting for this)
  • Re-Invention Tour was to be called The Whore of Babylon Tour
  • Re-Invention was to be a goodbye tour after the "American Life" flop ( :lol: )
  • Madonna dropped all songs with the word "goodbye" from the set list to counter the "goodbye tour" rumors ( :lol::lol: )
  • Re-Invention Tour was to end in Israel after the Lisbon shows
  • Re-Invention Tour was to be extended in Europe after the Israel shows were aborted
  • Re-Invention Tour Lisbon was to be broadcast live on CBS in the U.S.
  • Re-Invention Tour was to be released on DVD (still waiting for this too)
  • "Hello Suckers" was to be Madonna's next major project after Re-Invention / "I'm Going to Tell You a Secret"
  • "I'm Going to Tell You a Secret" would get a theatrical release
  • "Hung Up" was going to hit number one in the U.S.
  • "Get Together was to be the second single from "Confessions"
  • "Jump" was to be the second single from "Confessions"
  • Confessions Tour would visit Australia
  • Remix album and / or box set was to be released in 2007 to celebrate "Everybody"'s 25th anniversary
  • "4 Minutes" was going to hit number one in the U.S. (still miffed at this one)
  • "Miles Away" was to be the second single
  • "Beat Goes On" was to be the third -- and, later, fourth -- single
  • "Masterpiece" would get an Oscar nomination

I stopped following along so much in 2007 / 2008 when the economy slowed down (and then crashed). I was working multiple jobs to make ends meet and just didn't have the time or energy. Then, when I finally got a good, stable job, she didn't have anything new out for ages. (And then "MDNA" came and it did not really win me over.) "Rebel Heart" is the first era I've been crazy about and following along since "Confessions."

• "GHV2" was to be called "The Immaculate Collection 2" or "The Second Coming" (there was a third title that was heavily rumored, but I can't recall it now -- something like "Hits Lady," I think)

I remember that rumour....that title always cracks me up :rotfl: HIT LADY

Sunset Boulevard will be a great film for her to star in 10 years time :thumbsup:

Yeah, as stated above, I definitely think '4 Minutes' should have been a number one for Madonna on the Hot 100... so close, and had circumstances been right for songs around it, and had streaming been counted then, it would have (especially since it was number one on iTunes for a while). I suppose that applies to her other other songs that hit the top two and top three that could have made it to number one.

Yeah, she really needs to be in one more movie, even if its a smaller part .... a musical would be cool, and I'd love for it all to go well for her in terms of response and box office. It would be cool for her to have one more.

Oh and we all know she is a great director, and the woman is a stickler for continuing things until SHE wants to stop, so I hope a future directorial outing for her will give her some great recognition. To start with, I'd like for her to pick a movie that is more accessible to the masses so maybe it could be a box office success.

I want madonna doing a comedy directing and get Melissa marcarthy Amy Schumer Jennifer lawerence be get first hit directorial movie

Guest Pud Whacker

seriously, i was expecting Warning Signs because in the early interviews she talked about the three songs she had recorded for the film.

I was expecting/hoping that we'd get 5 single releases in the UK from the Like A Prayer album,I wanted it to go like this;

1.Like A Prayer.

2.Express Yourself.

3.Cherish.

4.Spanish Eyes.

5.Keep It Together.

I also wanted her to do a full album with Massive Attack & The Prodigy, when I heard her version of Marvin Gaye's "I Want You", I was so hoping that she would do a full LP with them.

^ Also, worth noting, though... Chicago had a long road to the screen. Bob Fosse, the original Broadway director, wanted to direct it in the 1980s, and even named Madonna as his choice for a star, but he passed away suddenly. For many years, no one wanted to touch it, for fear of operating in the shadow of Fosse. The stage version was revived very successfully (with Bebe Neuwirth and Ann Reinking) in the late 90s (maybe 1997?) and did well in the Tonys in 1998. So interest probably was re-ignited due to the revival. That's when Madonna was attached again.

The age issue seems unfair; Gwen Verdon and Chita Rivera originated the roles on Broadway and were 50 or 50+ at that time. And M and Goldie look youthful. But I guess film is different than stage. :( Could've been great for M. She has much more success in musicals. Maybe Sunset Boulevard, one day...

If Bob Fosse had done Chicago with Madonna in one of the roles, I would have died.

Guest Rocco Papa

Since she worked with Andre Betts and Shep Pettibone on Erotica after working with them on The Immaculate Collection, I expected her to continue that pattern after Celebration. I wanted her to work with Paul Oakenfold on MDNA the same way she worked with Stuart Price on Confessions. I think that would've been awesome!!

But if Madonna has taught us anything over the years, it's always to expect the unexpected! :wink:

yeah me too. especially the demo has worldwide hit a la hung up & uptown funk written all over it

i remember the poll on impressive instant on madonnamusic.com

i think she could've been good in chicago. really good. just a feeling i have. stupid rupert everett.

i think hello suckers sounds interesting. i want it to happen

yeah me too. especially the demo has worldwide hit a la hung up & uptown funk written all over it

i remember the poll on impressive instant on madonnamusic.com

i think she could've been good in chicago. really good. just a feeling i have. stupid rupert everett.

i think hello suckers sounds interesting. i want it to happen

I remember that poll too -- but I forgot her team failed to secure madonna.com! They probably thought the internet was a fad :lmao:

Since she worked with Andre Betts and Shep Pettibone on Erotica after working with them on The Immaculate Collection, I expected her to continue that pattern after Celebration. I wanted her to work with Paul Oakenfold on MDNA the same way she worked with Stuart Price on Confessions. I think that would've been awesome!!

But if Madonna has taught us anything over the years, it's always to expect the unexpected! :wink:

Well Benny Benassi remixed Celebration and everyone expected him to produce her next album and it happened... ;)

Guest Rocco Papa

Well Benny Benassi remixed Celebration and everyone expected him to produce her next album and it happened... ;)

That's true and I think the tracks she did with him are great. I think she should've worked with Paul Oakenfold instead of Martin Solveig and William Orbit though.