Is Madonna the most "ROCK star" of all POP stars?

XXL

A few days ago Don McLean once again praised Madonna's rendition of American Pie. declaring her a genius and an artist for the 20th and 21st century. In another interview by the BBC, the interviewer made a point of underlining how a generation of songwriters who were socially and politically involved in the 60s and early 70s were retired by late 70s disco and then early 80s new wave/post punk and I thought how ironic and testament to Madonna's ability and significance in the history of music the fact that a man who was part of that famed 60s/70s group is now singing the praises of someone whose embryo is musically rooted right in that sound of the early to mid 80s

Isn't it curious how Madonna's origins are quickly dismissed as disco or that in general she's viewed as "a dance act" when in fact she's touched on so many musical genres throughout her career, certainly more than any straight rock act has dared dabbling in, particularly the rarely challenged male ones?

One thing that's extraordinary and that has always fascinated me about not only her music but her stage persona is her relationship with the stage, which is more Elvis/Mick Jagger than the mere song and dance spectacle template people think of today when they hear the word POP star or POP concert. Again I find it ironic that she did invent the POP concert song and dance spectacle template but at the same time she's much more of a freestyler and a stage animal than simply someone who sings and dances at the same time

tumblr_nnzx0eyIHt1qlycwjo1_500.gif

tumblr_nsh004MwWK1qlycwjo1_500.gif

Madonna-image-madonna-36526837-601-819.j

tumblr_mqxgryoyhc1rbyayzo2_250.gif

madonna-gambler-o.gif

2736100_o.gif

tumblr_m6187gJtEA1qatf5lo1_500.gif

tumblr_n9118cBbnm1s0x5wto1_500.gif

tumblr_lpycejvcw21r0t5gco1_500.gif

AMEN to all of this.

Yes, I'd say she is the most "rock" out of all the 'pop stars'. I think those early club gig days had a huge influence that has never left her. She came up through culture and the industry the old school way - hustling for it. Not a lot of pop acts that have followed, and certainly today, can say the same.

Guest bluejean

Well it's definitely true that mainstream music has became less political over the decades. Madonna was at the forefront of the music video movement, her work was very visual and not solely about the music and she has influenced many empty manufactured pop stars that have followed in her footsteps. Most of her "political" statements were regarding gender issues and/or related to sexuality but even to this day I think what she was trying to say and is still trying to say is lost on alot of people who saw and still see her as someone simply using sex and controversy as a self marketing tool rather than as a political or artistic statement. I think this is the reason why she's not taken so seriously by some and its evident in the fact people consider the antics of people like Miley Cyrus as following the Madonna formula. The difference is Miley IS doing it for shock value only and there is no real statement. I guess that's lost on some but there are alot of people including journalists that do give Madonna the credit she deserves.

It sounds like that journo was speaking generally about the whole evolution of rock and pop, not specifically about Madonna and I think Madonna is recognized by many as being political for sure. And there are many artists past the 60's and 70's that are also, some in an even bigger way than Madonna. I think most pop artists these days are not but then again what rock stars are either? I can't think of many. The focus these days is on the fashion, having a trendy sound, the visual aesthetic etc. Artists making any real statement don't tend to penetrate the mainstream. Well none that I can think of anyway.

As for genre it's really just logical that dance/disco etc would have minimal lyrical depth as it's created for the purpose of being played at a club when people are out enjoying themselves. Madonna of course is not solely a dance artist, she has covered many genres and while some of her songs are pretty meaningless her body of work isn't. But of course her haters will fail to recognize that, they only see what they want to.

Guest eroticerotic

yes. I really do not listen to "pop"

when people ask what my fav music is they seem to say her place in my roster is strange lol. but not to me. she's pure rock. i never got the comparisons to britney or kylie etc. i still don't. but i guess i "get it"

It was an interview where the journalist said that people dont realize how hardcore rock and roll she really is. Without the booze and drugs...

Yes. I've always felt some rock vibes with her. White Heat, for example. Express Yourself voice. Not to mention when she took the guitar after 2001.

Her roots are rock and punk and you can feel it.

It all depends on what you define rock as.

She's certainly got the rock star attitude on stage. But her music is far from rock; some songs have rock elements for sure but musically she's miles away from rock music.

Yes Madonna is a dance pop artist. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the most exciting kind of music you can listen to cuz it never stales, it always developes and it's what most people will always relate to.

Madonna is the pinnacle of pop music. Her music became so popular and accepted nationally and internationally as she created pop as we know it.

I'd say she's definitely one of the most punk rock of the pop stars, by far. She has been a nonconformist for the majority of her life, never afraid to voice her opinion, no matter how unpopular it may be. She is 100% not manufactured, and has always marched to the beat of her own drum.

YAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!

One of the reasons I became a fan was the diversity of her catalogue. No other flopstar can compare.

And speaking of rock, she should totally do a full rock/metal album. Still waiting for Rockdonna/Metaldonna :drama:

Very interesting topic and discussion.

Madonna has had elements of rock and new wave that began with Burning Up, Material Girl, Dress You Up. She's also had a rockstar/punk type attitude since her debut. However, she's still a pop star at her core. I would put Tina Turner as more of female rock star that influenced pop music. Has Madonna ever commented on her before? I think there's clearly some influence in some of her stage performances.

I actually think she gets far more accolades from the hip hop/rap/r&b community. And rightfully so. From Tupac to Babyface to Missy Elliot to Kanye. They've always seem to embrace and respect her more than anyone in the rock community.

Edited by KalamazooJay

YAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!

One of the reasons I became a fan was the diversity of her catalogue. No other flopstar can compare.

And speaking of rock, she should totally do a full rock/metal album. Still waiting for Rockdonna/Metaldonna :drama:

Amen!

No, she is not.

Madonna is, without doubt, an amazing performer but time has shown that if something is not heavily choreographed, she is uncomfortable. Real 'rock' is not choreographed or over-prepared. Rock is spontaneous and pure. Madonna doesn't have the natural 'grunt' I characterise with rock. I would say P!nk is the most rock of the pop stars. She's the real deal, in that respect.

madonnas personality is rock/punk rock. this is your first post. and have you not heard her pre-fame stuff with her bands the breakfast club & emmy and the emmys?

79ed510fd2068c7a48188473efdc5f9b.jpg

No, she is not.

Madonna is, without doubt, an amazing performer but time has shown that if something is not heavily choreographed, she is uncomfortable. Real 'rock' is not choreographed or over-prepared. Rock is spontaneous and pure. Madonna doesn't have the natural 'grunt' I characterise with rock. I would say P!nk is the most rock of the pop stars. She's the real deal, in that respect.

madonnas personality is rock/punk rock. this is your first post. and have you not heard her pre-fame stuff with her bands the breakfast club & emmy and the emmys?

79ed510fd2068c7a48188473efdc5f9b.jpg

Her personality isn't all rock/punk. That's a ridiculous generalization to make about her. She's had ELEMENTS of a punk attitude throughout her career. But it's never been full on punk. Look no further than her interaction with Courtney Love during the 94 VMA's. Courtney was pure rebellious punk. Madonna was calculated, sassy, and bitchy.

Bottom line. She's a pop star. A pop star that has borrowed from countless other genres in a massively successfully way while giving homage to those who came before her.

Guest bluejean

No, she is not.

Madonna is, without doubt, an amazing performer but time has shown that if something is not heavily choreographed, she is uncomfortable.

Which times are you referring to because I can't think of any.

Her personality isn't all rock/punk. That's a ridiculous generalization to make about her. She's had ELEMENTS of a punk attitude throughout her career. But it's never been full on punk. Look no further than her interaction with Courtney Love during the 94 VMA's. Courtney was pure rebellious punk. Madonna was calculated, sassy, and bitchy.

Bottom line. She's a pop star. A pop star that has borrowed from countless other genres in a massively successfully way while giving homage to those who came before her.

i'll say what you wanna hear and as crystal already cleverly pointed out: she's a RICH WHITE and privileged lady of the manor who stole everything from everyone else. ok, evrybdygegeget's dupe.

I don't agree with your view on her with Courtney Love. I thought Madonna was pure class in that interview that Courtney hijacked. I actually loved Courtney as well as she was so wasted and funny but never thought Madonna was calculated. I thought she actually come across as someone who was uncomfortable with unnecessary confrontation and demonstrated yet again how human she was.

It is near on impossible to try to explain Madonna's persona. She has so many sides to her personality and that makes her so fascinating. I see her as the Queen of Pop who can also adapt to virtually all musical styles effortlessly. Musically, she has elements of punk, rock, musical theatre, disco, R&B, soul and I think she would be an incredible Country and Western singer as well. She has it all and her personality and style reflects all sides. She is the ultimate superstar and entertainer who always does what she believes in.

No, she is not.

Pink :lmao:

I love the diversity of madonnas catalog. I like how she bridged different musical styles and made her own statement with it.

But didn't Madonna herself imply she hates rock music? If I remember right it was during an online interview where someone asked if she would ever do a full rock album and she rejected the idea straight away.

I think people are confusing the word rock as describing an unpredictable and wild personality. Madonna might give you the idea of being like that but in reality she's got discipline. She's pretty much very well behaved. Her quest wasn't to make a fool out of herself for "artistic" reasons. She touched controversial themes because she felt it right that way! Nothing to do with rock music. Yes she did start as a rock chic in the beginning but that's because it was the kind of music people were listening to but oh my didn't she have massive burst ups with her manager back then (Camille Barbone) because she wanted to do more r&b, funky and dance music?

There was a time where Madonna was referred as a rock star but that's because pop music was still new and you wouldn't have that many pop artists making it as big as known rock stars. Even MJ was often referred as a rock star in the 80's and even 90's.. It's just the way it goes; nothing to do with the actual genre of music. Don't see what's wrong with being a dance pop act.