Inside the Iconic Vogue MTV Awards performance

Raf

madonna_mtvvma_1990_vogue_01.jpg

Often recalled as the “Marie Antoinette” performance, Madonna’s game-changing 1990 rendition of her hit “Vogue” was based on the film Dangerous Liaisons, with Madge donning Michelle Pfeiffer’s actual dress from the movie. Luis Camacho and Jose Gutierez, both of whom danced on Madonna’s “Blonde Ambition” tour and choreographed and danced in the original “Vogue” video and VMA number, recall that unforgettable night.

Gutierez: At first, we were going to do another song, 'cause people were already sick of us doing this. We had already vogued all year. It was between “Keep it Together” and something else.

Camacho: The idea [for the “Vogue” performance] came about during a game of charades. During the last days of the tour, we were in the South of France, in Nice, and one of the charades was Dangerous Liaisons. I was sitting next to her, and Madonna goes, “You know, that’s very ‘Vogue.’ ”

Gutierez: For the choreography, I was trying to basically keep the same stuff that was in the chorus section [of the video]. Everyone remembers those counts of eight from the chorus. Voguing is very arrogant and very aristocratic with all this attitude, so I think the theme and the costumes made us emulate it even more.

Camacho: The only thing that had us a little nervous were the fans the women [dancers] had. At one point in the choreography, they flipped the fans in the air, and they’re supposed to catch them. At almost every rehearsal, somebody would drop the fan.

Gutierez: Janet Jackson’s dancers also were performing that night, and there was always this Janet and Madonna competition throughout the years. Janet opened the show with “Black Cat” and we were closing the show, so we got to see them go on first. We were so amped because we were like, “Oh my God, they sucked! They were so bad!” We were like, “Oh, it’s in the bag!”

Camacho: We were also up for an award that night for best choreography.

Gutierez: I really wanted to win, but I knew that we weren’t going to. Madonna told us, “Don’t get your hopes up, because it’s very political in these awards ceremonies. They’re not going to give it to two young kids from the Lower East Side.” I was like, “You don’t know that!”

Camacho: By the time we went to perform, we [hadn’t won]. Standing offstage, Jose and I felt like, “We are about to show you why we should have gotten that award.” We always did a prayer circle before we went on stage. Madonna was like, “Let’s go out there and give it to them! Let’s serve it up, ladies and gentlemen!”

Gutierez: You can see our energy. It’s that moment when the curtain goes up and we are there, and everyone in the crowd just rises to their feet. I was jumping out of my skin.

Camacho: And no one dropped a fan! After they all caught it, we all clapped and breathed a sigh of relief. It was a nail-biter.

Gutierez: Talking about it now is like reliving those moments of being on stage—it gives you this rush of wanting to be the best and wanting to leave such an impression. It’s crazy because 25 years later, people still remember. I still get recognized on the street from this job that I did 25 years ago, and it feels so good.

http://www.tvinsider.com/article/34736/inside-3-iconic-mtv-vmas-moments-with-madonna-britney-and-lady-gaga/

BOW DOWN

madonna_mtvvma_1990_vogue_01.jpg

Gutierez: Janet Jackson’s dancers also were performing that night, and there was always this Janet and Madonna competition throughout the years. Janet opened the show with “Black Cat” and we were closing the show, so we got to see them go on first. We were so amped because we were like, “Oh my God, they sucked! They were so bad!” We were like, “Oh, it’s in the bag!”

JAnet opened the show with Black Cat? when?

:lol: :lol:

No mention of the bit where the dancer does the upside down split and gets caught in her dress, M swats him away with the fan then composes herself and you can see her smirking and takes a deep breath

5.08 in the vid

Love it

No mention of the bit where the dancer does the upside down split and gets caught in her dress, M swats him away with the fan then composes herself and you can see her smirking and takes a deep breath

5.08 in the vid

Love it

Always loved that part.

Guest ditaluver

thank you for posting this!!!!!

that smirk is the best! im sure they all wanted to burst! i wish there was video of them after taking her off the stage on the couch! Im sure they were excited !!!!

Guest PRPapi

Did y'all see the blatant rip-off of this ICONIC performance on So You Think You Can Dance? :-/

Two links:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/831042

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOvAoPtIwLE

And, in the "Behind the Scenes" video they had on the performance, the choreographer doesn't even MENTION being inspired by M's performance at all - he takes credit for "choreographing" everything. Such a Gaga.

5.08 in the vid

Love it

I love that part as much as the fan throwing.

Madonna has such brilliant motor skills and that really shows in that second. she got eyes back and front. epic performance.

Guest Pud Whacker

5.08 in the vid

Love it

The only time she breaks in the performance. She looks over at who tugged the skirt! :rotfl:

Guest Pud Whacker

Gutierez: Janet Jacksons dancers also were performing that night, and there was always this Janet and Madonna competition throughout the years. Janet opened the show with Black Cat and we were closing the show, so we got to see them go on first. We were so amped because we were like, Oh my God, they sucked! They were so bad! We were like, Oh, its in the bag!

Everyone hates THE BEAST!!! :rotfl:

This performance is LIFE. It's filled with so many great moments, especially the part when Madonna stares daggers at the dancer who stepped on her dress!

It's crazy to think that Vogue didn't win best choreography, although the VMAs have never awarded Madonna like they should have. She has the most nominations for best choreography but only one win for Ray of Light, which is just insane to me. I understand that Rhythm Nation was really big at the time, but how many people know every word and movement to Rhythm Nation compared to the worldwide adoration of Vogue. It just shows how little awards actually mean to legacy, which is probably why Madonna has never much cared for awards attention because she knows her legend is preserved in actual culture where it matters more.

One of the all-time great performances, by anyone, at any event.

+1 It's such a stunning performance. I was floored when I saw it. I've said it before but my other memory of the show was MC Hammer. He had all these dancers on stage and it was loud and brash and then M came on and just wiped for the floor with his tacky gold harem pants. I don't even remember Janet's performance but suspect it was like the video.

Was the other performance for the aids Benefit before or after this one?

Is there much footage from that ?

I've never seen any. I think it was only confirmed in the last year that there was another performance. I think a couple of pictures surfaced and that's it.

Yeah never seen any footage from the 2nd performance. ET mentioned it at the end of their report on the VMAs - so i have been waiting 25 years for even a tiny clip! Over the years we have only had still photos.

JAnet opened the show with Black Cat? when?

She was the opening act at the 1990 VMAs. Performed Black Cat before the titles rolled.

I can still remember watching the show live in the UK on MTV starting at 1am and having to wait until about 5am for my first glimpse of M. She had the most nominations for a video ever at the VMAs but the only televised award won was for Best Direction with David Fincher accepting. To say I was upset would be a major understatement.