Don't Cry For Me Argentina (Miami Mix)

Guest bluejean

Guest bluejean

Let us celebrate the fabulous Miami single mix of DCFMA.

I remember this being on the radio ALL THE TIME. Yes I know , it's cheesy as fuck but I loved it then and I love it now.

Let us celebrate the fabulous Miami single mix of DCFMA.

I remember this being on the radio ALL THE TIME. Yes I know , it's cheesy as fuck but I loved it then and I love it now.

This track is AMAZING. It was a nice return to upbeat music after the ballad phase of Something to Remember. This track used to come on the radio every evening while I was driving home from college. It was torture waiting for the song to be released on CD (before having adequate access to the internet, news, and youtube). :D

Guest Pud Whacker

i wish she would sing this one on tour...everyone would go bat shit crazy. everyone loves a beat. madonna used to know that, so well.

i wish she would sing this one on tour...everyone would go bat shit crazy. everyone loves a beat. madonna used to know that, so well.

AGREED! and I love this mix. It holds a special place in my heart - after my mom died (it gave me my grooove back)

I LOVE it!

Especially the "So I choose freedommmmmmmmm, for Argentinaaaaaaaaaaaa" backing vocal :lol:

Oh wait a second, the edit version remove the above backing vocal! :americanlife:

Listen to the original version, starting from 4.26:

A life flamenco rendition with Madonna singing for the first time that So i chooooose freeeeedooooom istead of Donna and Niki would make the venue explode. Imagine this song after Living For Love and Who's That Girl?

Madonna, erase La Isla, this is the flamenco you need!

Somebody tweet Guy Osmosis!

Looove the Miami Mix!

I know everyone likes to bitch that she was robbed of a number one hit in the U.S. by the way her label handled "Into the Groove," but everyone seems to forget that Warner Bros. robbed her of a sure-fire number one with this.

After "You Must Love Me" failed to become the mega hit everyone expected it to be, Warners released "DCFMA" as a radio-only release -- at a time when Billboard did not allow radio-only singles to chart on the Hot 100. They seemed surprised that "DCFMA" became a monstrous radio hit and tried to get a single ready for sale -- but could only manage to get a maxi-single out, and even then it wasn't in stores until two months after the song peaked on radio ...

It was a deliberate strategy for Warner not to release the song as a single. This was a very common practice back then to withhold a single in order to push album sales. The strategy worked. The Evita soundtrack peaked at number two and sold just as much as I'm Breathless, Erotica, Bedtime Stories and Something to Remember.

The song definitely would have reached number one though.

Fyi, the same was done with Beautiful Stranger

It was a deliberate strategy for Warner not to release the song as a single. This was a very common practice back then to withhold a single in order to push album sales. The strategy worked. The Evita soundtrack peaked at number two and sold just as much as I'm Breathless, Erotica, Bedtime Stories and Something to Remember.

The song definitely would have reached number one though.

Fyi, the same was done with Beautiful Stranger

I understand it was a deliberate strategy. That doesn't make it any less stupid.

The Miami Mix -- not the album version -- is what became a radio hit, and the mix was unavailable on the soundtrack. There were stories at the time that large numbers of customers were returning the soundtrack to stores for exactly that reason. That's why Warner abandoned their radio-only plan and rushed the release of the maxi single.

If they'd made the decision to release a single for sale at the same time they decided to release the Miami Mix to radio instead of the album version -- and had also released a traditional two-track single -- "DCFMA" would have been her 12th number one in the U.S.

History is full of "ifs" and possible scenarios- just like '"Into the Groove" probably would have been her third No. 1. That doesn't make it any less of the big hit that it was.

There was demand for the Miami Mix, hence WB releasing the maxi single. Would it have hit No. 1 with a regular two-track single? Hard to say. Even though it sold a respectable 300,000 or so as a maxi, there were other singles around that time that were maxi-only, that sold a lot more ("I'll Be Missing You," for one- but, that also had a cassette maxi-single, which DCMFA didn't).

In any event, I enjoy both the original and Miami Mix. it peaked at No. 5 on Hot 100 Airplay, top 10 at top 40 radio, top 15 at top 40/rhythm-crossover and Adult Top 40 and No. 21 at AC.

kalam- this was 18 years ago- that alone is enough to explain why it performed better than anything from the current album. If WB had only pushed the ballad version of DCFMA, it likely would not have done as well as it did.

I don't remember any stories about people returning the "Evita" soundtrack in droves because it didn't contain the Miami Mix of DCFMA. I also don't know that anyone really expected YMLM to be a massive hit, but it actually sold extremely well in the US (not much less than TAB, whose overall sales really didn't reflect its massive radio success at all).

The Miami Mix is excellent, though. It also marked the very first time that Madonna recorded entirely new vocals for a remix.